1. News & Issues

David Emery

End of the Road for Route 666

By July 15, 2003

U.S. Route 666, a highway running through New Mexico, Colorado and Utah long saddled with the Biblical 'number of the beast,' will be redesignated "Route 491" on July 30, 2003, putting an end to decades of devilish innuendo and road sign thievery. Navajo medicine men will be on hand to bless the new highway and 'cleanse' the old one at a rechristening ceremony in New Mexico. Take that, Satan!
History of Route 666 | Mark of the Beast | The Antichrist | 666, the Integer

Comments

July 29, 2006 at 6:45 pm
(1) Sarah says:

This is just downright ridiculous! Just because the highway is named “Route 666″ does not literally make it a bad/cursed/haunted/whatever highway. There were movies based on this highway, that alone should protect it’s name. Isn’t it a little dumb to go renaming highways because ONE religious group finds it offensive? I think so. People need to wake up and stop being both paranoid and dumb.

July 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm
(2) Dennis says:

Wow. Sarah, it is now five years since you commented on the renaming of old Highway 666. Question for you… Which ONE religious group found the 666 offensive?

There used to be an incredible restaurant about six-seven miles east of Monticello on 666. Wonder if it’s still there?

Have a great day… whatever the number of the day!

October 20, 2006 at 12:45 pm
(3) Dakota Fisher says:

I think that it is also stupid naming it 491 and trying to bless it. That is ridiculus you can’t kill the devil he will haunt you for doing this!!! Nothing will take him away from what is rightfully his on this earth. You wouldn’t like anyone taking your land away would you?

December 18, 2006 at 9:40 pm
(4) Louis says:

Well, we said goodbye to the infamous Route 66, and we said goodbye to Route 666. Things change I guess. But I just can’t imagine someone blessing a highway that was never cursed to begin with. Another piece of history of is gone. I hear tell that the Statue of Liberty is for sale on eBay.

January 3, 2007 at 9:46 pm
(5) Jay says:

You know what is effin awesome? This all happened more than three and a half years ago and there are 3 comments about it all within the last 6 months. I’m glad I got a chance to see it before it became meaningless.

January 4, 2007 at 3:34 pm
(6) Frank says:

This has got to the dumbest thing that this government is doing. They’re so worried about being politicaly correct that they will bend over backwards for the liberals and church. The church worries about tha name of a road, but heaven forbid that they take accountability of priests molesting boys. I’m Catholic, but this is stupid, it’s just a number. Just like # 13, people are afraid of that #, but it’s still in use around the world. Just wake up and don’t assume anything!!

April 26, 2007 at 8:17 pm
(7) jbange says:

Look, the real reason they changed it is because they got sick of having to replace stolen “US ROUTE 666″ highway signs. The signs themselves aren’t that expensive, but the man-hours it took to keep the road properly marked were. It had nothing to do with satan, evil, or warding off bad luck. It was just money.

April 27, 2007 at 2:43 pm
(8) angel says:

Oh my god what is wrong with this world. People just need to get a life and leave dumb sh** alone. Nevermind I have a daughter that wants to go check it out. How stupid is that!

May 22, 2007 at 8:46 pm
(9) sal says:

if you don’t believe it, why don’t you go see it for yourself. gosh!!!!!!!!! im not saying it’s real or it’s not. but who knows.

June 12, 2007 at 2:09 am
(10) rob says:

i completely agree with sal, i’ve been thinking about checking it out, i’ll even go alone and in the middle of the night.

June 23, 2007 at 6:03 am
(11) Whitebear says:

Isn’t it funny that this highway runs through Native American reservation land. Famous for DUIs, DWIs, and FIREWATER! we have a low alcohol tolerance for the most part. Bunch of crap, changing the name, if you ask me. Just a bunch of drunks on the road is all. I bet the Medicine man blessing the road will be drunk too! LOL

July 25, 2007 at 6:17 pm
(12) warren says:

There is supposed to be a seperation between church and state yet they always have sway in what the government decides.

July 25, 2007 at 6:19 pm
(13) warren says:

There is supposed to be a seperation between church and state, yet they always have sway in what the government decides.

August 17, 2007 at 3:10 pm
(14) nour ali says:

i want to go to route 666

August 19, 2007 at 1:25 pm
(15) Sharon says:

I can not believe any of you are so stupid as to place the blame of changing the name of this highway on Christians. If that were the case we could just change the name of satan to Michael and puff he would be gone. We are not superstitious and the name of that road has nothing to do with anything that is going on except that it starts people’s imaginations working overtime just like when someone mentions the Bermuda Triangle. As Holy Scripture tells us, he “goeth about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour” and the name of the road and place doesn’t mean any thing. It is only the belief in the “Son of God, Jesus Christ” that can truly make the difference.

August 29, 2007 at 12:48 pm
(16) John Boy says:

Just finished driving the route for the 4th time in two years. Pretty in some spots, desolate in others. No demons. Biggest problem was the bad road surface (thanx to crooked governor Richardson doing nothing to fix it) and no original Route 666 signs to buy or otherwise acquire. 491? Get real.

April 4, 2008 at 2:31 am
(17) Amanda says:

Dude! Look those bible belt jerks should leave part of our history alone. Route 666 had history either good or bad and shouldn’t be change because of a bunch of superstitions and religious dogma!

May 12, 2008 at 2:31 am
(18) KAY KAY says:

lol!!!!
I dare u!!! Go find out for yourself!!!! If u make it out threw their then god was watching out for you!!! if not “Yeah” the other has your soul and make sure you still have all your hair counted for on your head… Other wise next time around it will be waiting for you… soooo!!! Laugh and joke about it!!! Native are popwerful people… Just be careful what you say about them or to them….
Just WATCH OUT AND SAY A PRAYER EVERYWHERE YOU GO!!! AND FOR DRUNKS… THAY ALREADY GAVE UP THERE SOUL TO THE DEVIL HIM SELF!!!HE JUST AWAITS TO SEE WHEN HE’LL HAVE YOU IN HELL TO TORCHER U!!!OVER AND OVER!!!! LAUGH ALL U WANT!!!!

July 27, 2008 at 4:31 pm
(19) JD says:

This is all fricken nuts. Just cause it’s 666 they have to change the number, first it was taking 13 out in elevators in some large buildings and now this! What’s next???

October 21, 2008 at 2:22 pm
(20) Mr. Knozit says:

As someone who lived in that part of the southwest and who drove that road dozens of times, I was saddened to see the number changed. I am a Christian as well, but never felt that driving on Route 666 was ever a threat. In fact, we made a lot of jokes about it sometimes and let me tell you from firsthand experience, whether driving it in a high-desert blizzard or crossing it in July when it was 110 degrees outside, it can be one “hell of a road!” I can understand the Hwy. Dept. issue because some idiots were ripping off the signs all the time, but it’s now too late to do anything about it. Another unique piece of the American scene is gone. Too bad…

October 21, 2008 at 2:39 pm
(21) Mr. Knozit says:

As many who lived in that region of the southwest, I was saddened when the road was renumbered. However, those of you blaming “Christians” and “bible-thumpers” for the change ought to get a life! As a Christian myself, I was never “threatened” to drive on the road. In fact, we enjoyed making jokes about it to help pass the time while on it. (I have driven it literally dozens of times.) And I can tell you from experience, whether driving it in a high-desert snowstorm or crossing it when it was 110 degrees outside, Route 666 could indeed be one “helluva road!” It’s a shame that some idiots had to steal signs all the time from there. Oh well, that’s the way it goes. And now, another piece of unique Americana has faded into distant memory and obscurity.

February 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm
(22) Jerry Eades says:

We are going to ride 191 in arizona and 491 from the Mexican border in Arizona to the Canadian boder and it’s gonna be a helluva ride

April 11, 2010 at 12:48 pm
(23) Grace says:

and now it should be remaned route 666 again

April 28, 2010 at 4:15 pm
(24) rsk says:

It is another load crap straight from the neocon religious right, way to go. It cost about 10 grand just to change the signs out in New Mexico alone, all because these right winged fear driven religious nut jobs and we wonder why the U.S. is in the state its in today. But what the hell this will probably earn the G.O.P (the gay old party) more votes from the extremists.

December 30, 2010 at 6:58 pm
(25) Me says:

That’s mad gay. I wanted to see it. It was used in one of my favorite movies, Natural Born Killers.

March 2, 2011 at 3:12 am
(26) ThatGuy says:

Me-that’s exactly why it got renamed. It became “too popular” for tourists. And that’s why all the signs were getting snagged. I drove it before the movie came out and I never saw the Drug Zone store

January 14, 2012 at 4:29 am
(27) Dun Ranull says:

Took a ride on old 666 before it was all changed over. It was my daughter’s “out of High School” trip to Arizona.. We stumbled on a “US Rt 666″ and of course HAD to drive it. Some very beautiful and raw country, geologically fascinating. Stopped in some small very small- crossroads with a very out of the way truck-stop. Nuthin but Mormons and rocks and open sky! It was so entrancing we spent the night in the area. Didnt think about swiping the road-signs, missed a chance for a for a prime keepsake! Thought it was pretty chickens*** to change the road number… you KNOW it wasnt just a co-incidence.

January 16, 2012 at 7:58 am
(28) Elizabeth says:

I’m doing research for a book I’m writting and found this site and all of your comments. It’s really ignorant to talk about the government and religion in relation to this article.
A) A lot of things happened on that road even now since it’s been changed.
B) Don’t blame changes that you PERSONALLY think are stupid on one group that’s called racism.
C) Don’t you have anything better to do with your life than write repetitive, ignorant comments?

October 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm
(29) Nicole says:

My husband and I made many road trips on that highway in ’98, ’99, ’00, and ’01. We drove on it during the day and during the night and aside from one flat tire, we never had any problems.

I think it’s dumb that they changed the name (or number).

Check out #hwy666 on Instagram. I posted a pic I took before they changed it.

February 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(30) Pat Troy says:

Can someone enlighten me.I’m reading a book about the Bush Dynasty and the religious right.What was the real reason for changing the route number?I live in Perth Australia so there’s not much chance of me coming over there to ask questions. P T

April 24, 2013 at 8:44 pm
(31) James says:

Hey Pat!
Greetings to one of our only true Allies!
You will get a different answer from each person you
talk to, which is what a,lot of Americans used to respect.

Times have changed. For what it is worth, I think that it came down to:

1. $$$ to keep replacing the signs (man hours): and
2. The area was getting a bad reputation due to NBK and a lot
of paranormal “specials” on television: and
3. No politician will get voted out for being “tough on evil!”

April 26, 2013 at 11:40 pm
(32) mike says:

Jesus. I don’t need ghosts on the road I travel.
Give me California’s morning fog and I’ve seen you drivers, you want to make me a ghost
I scream as I get out of your way.

April 26, 2013 at 11:47 pm
(33) mike says:

Kay. Kay? scares me.
But, I would let him/her keep their gun and the right to vote.

November 2, 2013 at 4:10 pm
(34) Lydia Smith says:

Looks like Whitebear is a racist. Natural Born Killers is also one of my favorite all time movies.

November 2, 2013 at 4:14 pm
(35) Lydianon says:

Looks like Whitebear is a racist…

February 18, 2014 at 1:27 pm
(36) adAmanderson says:

it is all true I was driving along the road and all of a sudden I say a little girl walking the road me and my kids plus wife saw it I AM NOT TRYING TO GET ATTENTION IT IS ALL TRUE DOGS GHOS ALL IS TRUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!