1. News & Issues

David Emery

The Vanishing Hitchhiker

By October 29, 2003

A FRIEND of a friend and his daughter were driving along a lonely country road at night and happened upon a female hitchhiker. The woman asked for a ride to her home just a few miles up the road. The travelers obliged and continued on with the woman riding silently in the backseat.

As they approached their destination, the driver turned to inform the mysterious passenger that they were about to arrive, only to discover she had vanished from the backseat without a trace! Thoroughly spooked, our travelers inquired at the house whose address she had given and learned that a woman matching the description of the hitchhiker had indeed once lived there, but died several years ago in an automobile accident.

Her ghost, they were told, was sometimes seen wandering beside the highway, attempting to thumb a ride home from strangers.

'Vanishing Hitchhiker' Tales:

Phantom Hitchhikers
A Hitchhiking Stranger Is Sometimes Not a Human Being
The Spooky Hitchhiker
The Lady of White Rock Lake
The Meshack Road Hitchhiker
Resurrection Mary, 'Most Famous Ghost in Chicagoland'
'The Vanishing Hitchhiker' by J.H. Brunvand

Comments

April 27, 2007 at 1:31 pm
(1) Breanna says:

I think that this is fake because there is no such as ghosts

May 22, 2007 at 9:23 am
(2) Alex says:

Well im sorry to say breanna but ur kinda stupid then.

Scary story by the way, theres a story quite similar to that where I live.

Its a woman who was riding on a motorbike with her boyfriend to their wedding. They had a carcrash and the woman died, and the boyfriend walked away. Now she hitchhikes but only gets into cars with single guys. They say she’s looking for her boyfriend

February 29, 2008 at 1:31 pm
(3) Michaela says:

I believe in ghosts :)

This guy was tokin to my mum & sed that me nd my sister could “see” things! but, she didnt know that she was having a girl

FREAKY!

SO, i obviously believe it, i see it!

March 3, 2008 at 4:05 pm
(4) MadMyers says:

I dunno, I’m kinda skeptical about it all.

October 28, 2008 at 9:43 am
(5) jasmine & breauna says:

your slow….. i belive in ghost.i’ve heard and seen so many things…guh you betta believe in them things… because they are so true………

May 24, 2009 at 9:47 am
(6) tayllor says:

look whoever said ghosts aren’t real i believe in ghosts my grandpa is one he died when i was 5 years old and i’m 11 so ya go figure even thought i don’t believe in the devil i believe in BLOODY MARY and i’m so sad for her and the reason why is well i always look at myself in the mirror but i havn’t for a few days or letalone slept in my oun room because i did that bloody mary chant now shes haunting my room because during the day when shes in the mirror i look at the back of my door and their is like tons of scrach marks so ya its spooky

September 22, 2009 at 9:37 pm
(7) Kikyzz says:

Hey I’m from P.R and behind my house there are a bunch of new houses, but before that it was an underground train station wich was filled with old cars and closed… Or at least that’s what I’ve been told… Ever since then; creepy, weird, scary and unexplainable things are seen, heard and felt. I’ve been a witness, when I was 13 years old I saw a girl in a black dress and long black hair standing outside the bathroom door while I was brushing my teeth and everybody was sleeping (It was on a Saturday. It was kinda early in the morning). I went back to my room confused and looked at the way my sister was dressed, it wasn’t her! I kept it quiet, but that same day in the afternoon, my neighbor called me and asked me if I was wearing a black dress that day… She saw the same girl I did!!! But… we still have no idea of who she is or WAS… Besides that, a lot of other creepy things have happened… I bet you wouldn’t believe them!!! If you are interested on more stories from my block, hit me back!! Here’s my e-mail… b-girl_xiomara@hotmail.com

November 20, 2011 at 9:23 pm
(8) skittles says:

omg girl scary and ur from puerto rico so am i represent!

January 29, 2010 at 10:55 am
(9) maniacmadi says:

well i believe in paranormal activity because when i was 5 i had a surgry and lost to much blood i died for 5 minutes and ever scence ive had a polterguiste follow me and i can read oras peoplewho dont believe in ghosts just havent expirenced A ghost or *paranormal activity*bt yes it is m0st defitnly real yes it is somerhing ittle giirls do like to play with at sleepovers bunt its not always a safe thing to doe especially wigi boards those aren fun in the end

October 22, 2011 at 8:16 am
(10) sofia says:

Hi

Can u please kindly send more details on your experiences?
And why you are against wigi boards?
thanx

November 10, 2011 at 9:42 am
(11) alyssa says:

Hey,

Quiji boards are not to be messed with, especially if you believe in ghost and demons. But, they only work if you think they work. It’s a state of mind, think about it, if there was a wooden board on the floor with numbers and letters, and you weren’t thinking of anything at all…would it work?

Not exactly. But, if you do think something is going to happen, it will work. I don’t recommend you play with one though, bad things will happen if you believe they will. They let in demons and I’m serious.

One of my friends, who lives by me played it and now their is a demon boy in her garage. That was where they played it, he likes to haunt her room too.

March 12, 2011 at 10:29 am
(12) Melanie says:

Yes wow, a man came to my mom as well saying I could see things. When she asked what I could see, he just replied “Ull find out. ” as he was right, I was at my aunts house, and she said there was a ghost here because her house was on an Indian berial ground. She named him stewart. My siblings and I were very skeptical and didn’t believe her. One day she said there goes Stewart. We were like yeah right and didn’t believe her. Then one day she told me to get her her brush from her bathroom. I walked down the hall only to find a transloucent figure of an Indian walking down the hall. I turned around and gave her my brush saying I couldn’t find hers. Only until recent years did I tell her I saw Stewart too. ( if course she rubbed it in my face) 

May 14, 2012 at 10:15 am
(13) Aviel says:

It’s really disappointing when all of the comments seem to come from people with 3rd grade educations. If you’re going to voice your opinion, at least make it seem somewhat tenable – not to mention readable.

On another note: I’ve heard a version of this story where the woman is a Woman In White.

May 14, 2012 at 8:42 pm
(14) amulya says:

i remember when my dad’s friend told me a variation and i actually thought it was real, but then i saw this story and i knew exactly what would happen haha, i was like 8 years old

August 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm
(15) Walter says:

How old is this tale.
It has various endings,Some where the woman/Lady leaves her coat/sweater in the vehicle, The driver goes to the door of the house she got out at & Is told the sweater/coat belonged to the womans daughter that died years ago.
Just another made-up fairy tale, Nothing more.

August 2, 2012 at 5:22 pm
(16) Tally hO says:

Same thing happened to me while driving a motorcycle. I loaned the lady my extra helmet. When we arrived at her address my helmet and she were gone. I assumed she may have fell off but I heard a sweet voice saying “Thank You” as I drove away, I never seen her or my $50.00 helmet again,

August 3, 2012 at 12:31 am
(17) The Keeper of The Reaper says:

Hi All,
I have to say that the girl named “Breanna” Is what is called a Skeptic, and I do believe in all things paranormal. When this girl has a paranormal Experience then she will have a change of heart. I have heard about the lady hitchhiker urban legend or for any other reason could be considered True, I also Have spirits at the house where i live, and we have a few spirits come and go every so often. I also like playing w/ the Ouija Board by myself as well.

August 3, 2012 at 5:45 am
(18) Karine says:

This story is based on real events, although the ghost was an old man dressed like a farmer, You can find this documented in the book The Nunney Hitchhiker. The police were called as the man driving was very concerned the farmer had been injured falling out of the car. The police knew about the phantom hitchhiker as they had been informed of this event on the same stretch of road before.
I know the driver of the car personally and he’s quite embarrassed by the whole thing.
Nunney is a small village in Somerset.

August 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm
(19) Pat says:

I don’t believe in ghosts either. There is no reason that I can see that a loving God is going to allow spirits to roam the earth & God is the only one who has power over life & death. Now, if you believe in evil or satan , that’s another story. Satan is the father of lies & always works hrough your imagination. Therefore, anything you see or har that you believe is supernatural is likely to be Satan at his worst.

August 8, 2012 at 1:46 am
(20) Richard says:

Hey Pat, check out Luke 24:39 where Jesus says, “Look at my hands and my feet; see that it is I myself. Touch me and see; for a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.” Now if ghosts don’t exist, why didn’t Jesus just say so instead of going to the trouble to explain the difference between a ghost and a living being. By the way, I also believe in extraterrestrials, except I call them angels.

August 8, 2012 at 5:29 pm
(21) John says:

Check out “Bringing Mary Home” by Mac Wiseman

August 12, 2012 at 7:22 am
(22) strider0075 says:

This is a pretty old legend actually, one key thing that all the variants have in common is the lonely road. If you’ve ever driven on an old road at night, it’s pretty freaky since in most cases the road is unlit and your headlights being the only light can play tricks on your mind. My grandparents used to spin yarns about a woman in white trying to get to her wedding.

So far the variants i’ve heard are:
The woman in white
The vanishing hitchhiker (one like in the article and one where if you don’t pick up the hitchhiker it keeps reappearing eventually it shows up in your backseat and follows you home)
The devil’s curve (This one the ghost is an accident victim and it appears at extremely dangerous curves, mostly a cautionary tale for young boys who like to drive their cars fast down old dirt roads)

April 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm
(23) lauren says:

I heard that story before i think it is real

May 12, 2013 at 10:21 am
(24) hamza says:

i believe in ghosts because i used to live next to a haunted house .creepy stuff

August 26, 2013 at 11:40 am
(25) holly says:

This is fake.Ever heard of the bloody mary myth i’be done It loads NOTHING happend

January 29, 2014 at 4:19 pm
(26) Jason says:

I personally believe in ghosts and demons
I’m what you’d call a medium I can’t see ghosts or demons but I hear them speak to me as a matter of fact I have a little girl ghost following me because I went to an abandoned hospital where I encountered a little 9 year girl and I spoke to her asking why she was still here, she told me “I’m looking for my mommy”. that’s only a nice ghosts, ive been punched, slaped pushed b4

February 19, 2014 at 8:45 am
(27) gracie_xx_:-) says:

although i believe in ghosts i dont believe in this one ghosts haunt for something not to just dissapear

March 2, 2014 at 6:25 pm
(28) ghost hunter says:

i’ve believed in Ghost and ghost are real!. i was eight and my sister and I saw and Ghost. an Old lady was floting over my sister and i head. when we’ve moved out my mother went to see someone about the ghost they said there was an old lady passed away in the house. so yer ghost are real.

March 24, 2014 at 1:47 am
(29) WATEVA says:

i have heard of this story before just with a little less details about the legend but the ghost