1. News & Issues

David Emery

The Phone Call of Death: 999-999-9999

By November 21, 2005

IT GOES without saying that I'm the recipient of strange and disconcerting emails from time to time, but one day last week I found a creepier-than-usual message in my inbox from a reader named Anna. Little did I realize it would become even creepier as the day wore on. This is what she wrote:

"I just got a call from 999-999-9999 on my cell phone... called it back and got my Nextel directory assistance who say they can't call out. I looked it up on Google and there was reference to a Thai movie that had a similar plot to The Ring, except you actually call the number and something horrible happens to you. Any news on this one?"

I Googled it myself and, sure enough, buried among dozens of results confirming that lots of other folks have received mysterious calls from this same number I found a web page hawking DVDs of a movie called 999-999-9999, the plot of which is described as follows:

A transfer student becomes the center of her attention at her new school when she relates the tales of the mysterious deaths at her old school. She reports that the deaths are linked to an evil phone number — 999-999-999, that will grant the wish of any caller — but with a price. Despite her warnings against using the phone number, many of her new friends cannot resist the temptation and one by one they meet with a grisly "accident."
Naturally, I had to try this myself. I dialed the number. Click. A recorded message said: "Your call cannot be completed as dialed." Feeling no ill effects, I made a mental note to look into it further and went back to reading my email.

Several hours later the phone rang. Though I was busy and didn't pick up, curiosity got the better of me when I saw the "new message" light come on, so I checked the caller ID.

This, I kid you not, is what I saw (cue sinister music):

"Unknown Name. 999-999-9999."

Could it possibly be just a coincidence? What are the odds? I punched in my voicemail code. This is what I heard (raise volume on sinister music):

"Hello. This is a friendly reminder from Blockbuster. Our records show that as of Thursday, November 17th, Jeff _______ has some items that have not been returned by the due date listed on your receipt."

Mystery solved. Apparently, Blockbuster Video uses the same caller ID spoofing technology employed by collection agencies, unscrupulous telemarketers, and not a few con artists to prevent recipients of their calls from knowing who's on the other end of the line. Mundane, but true. I gather the practice is becoming increasingly common.

Not only did I survive the "phone call of death," I am relieved to say, but as it turns out my Blockbuster Video account is in perfectly good standing. The deadbeat they were trying to get in touch had given them the wrong phone number. One day he will receive a mysterious call....

Update: In April 2007, panic erupted in Pakistan and parts of the Middle East and Africa after emails circulated warning mobile phone users against accepting calls from certain numbers lest they be subjected to a high-frequency signal that could cause brain hemorrhage and death. Authorities ruled the warnings a hoax. Read more...

Comments

April 26, 2006 at 9:59 pm
(1) naomi says:

i just got a call from that number & i didn’t answer it. about a minute later my “new voicemail message” popped up (to be honest, i got scared, b/c i was reading the article at the same time & it was a little loud)… anyway, but i later read further down & saw it’s probably from blockbuster .. w/c it probably is b/c we have some games that are due. :) go figure! *I too look up numbers that seem weird to me.

May 26, 2006 at 10:10 am
(2) Laura says:

Weve been getting phone calls from this number, and my mom has been too scared to answer them… so yesterday I did and I said hello?? hello?? nobody spoke, then an asian woman says hello? hello? then an asian man says hello? and then the woman says hello? again and I hung up. (They were saying hello in a kinda creepy way) Whats up with thiiiis?

June 27, 2006 at 2:04 pm
(3) Paul says:

oh my god. i just got a call fromt hat number, and he was saying his name is ken for bank of america, and i had chargers on this phone and he asekd me if i knew the last name of Demis, or something like that. i said no and hung up.

July 9, 2006 at 11:19 pm
(4) Alice says:

I have been getting the number 9 caller, letting it go to my answering machine, they never leave a message, most of the time they hang-up after 3 rings. Glad I checked here.

June 28, 2011 at 9:27 am
(5) Della says:

I also was getting calls from that number a few monts ago. I thought the number was so strange that i didnt answer either. they would call constantly every day and i never answered. Finally one day the calls stopped. They never left a message and i never answered.

July 18, 2006 at 11:11 pm
(6) Jay says:

I recently had a friend die and I got this strange call from 999-999-9999 2 different times, the first time it didn’t show up on caller ID at all, the next day, same time 5:09pm it showed up on caller ID, and this time there was a message….all static for 3 minutes straight with some garble maybe words I don’t know. I have seen the movie White Noise so I got a little freaked. I can’t say I’m a firm believer in communication with the dead but it was freaky
P.S. I dont use Bank of America or Blockbuster

June 2, 2011 at 8:49 am
(7) ceci says:

u shuld b scared kid.id take what ppl say about dat more seriusly if i were u.b careful with what you mess with.you dont want to find out later dat one of them might b true

July 26, 2006 at 2:03 pm
(8) becca says:

okay so im scared.

i got a call from them.

at 9:01.
and i was sleeping until like, 930.
but it says i picked up.
but for some reason i dont remember picking it up. and me, i seriously believe everything i hear- and my brother was reading something to me, so i’m kind of afraid to call them back- cause of that little urban legend of the call of death or wahtever.
but like- suer we use blockbuster- but we dont put my number under it.
sooo, im kind of freaked out righ tnow…
rawr. i hate this.

July 31, 2006 at 3:32 pm
(9) Tracy says:

Today I received a call at 3:19 in the afternoon. The caller ID said OUT OF AREA along with the number 999-999-9999. I found this page during a Google search and think David Emery has it figured out – many companies use that number to mask their real number. I answered my call and it was a lady calling on behalf of some foundation (I didn’t catch what she said because she spoke quickly) and her first question was, “In the matter of abortion, are you pro-life, pro-choice, or pro-abortion?” Since I expected the call to lead to a request for a donation, I ended the call at that point. I don’t believe there is such a thing as a “number of death”, but I do think it’s a good idea to be cautious of who is calling you since integrity in business seems to a thing of the past. :(

July 31, 2006 at 9:30 pm
(10) Nancy says:

I go that same number tonight as well and it freaked me out as well,glad I am no the only one(need to check those block buster tapes)

August 8, 2006 at 2:28 pm
(11) Skybase says:

Just got this call at around 10am myself. Checked my voicemail and as the person above stated I also got a lot of garbled static. . sounded like electronic static, with a wind-blowing kinda sound as well. I swear I could hear slight talking in the background but it was so garbled and staticky that I’m not sure. could have just been more electronic noise. Hehe. Anyhow, I know I have nothing due to Blockbuster, dont’ Bank with Bank of America and every business that I DO deal with has a recognizable number. Prolly telemarketers I’d guess. The static was odd tho. . .

August 18, 2006 at 1:08 pm
(12) gp says:

I just got this phone call? WEIRD

August 19, 2006 at 7:14 am
(13) Will says:

My g/f got a call twice from this number and nothing happened when I picked up just sounded like someone was there but didn’t want to talk I got freaked out!!!

August 19, 2006 at 10:43 pm
(14) william says:

ha, funny article :)
got some calls from this number, never anyone there. like mentioned before these are spoofed numbers, they are masked and not easy top track. used by marketing companies and other companies ….
geee, i can’t believe people actually think it is sth. mysterical or has anything to do with death … huhuhu :P

October 4, 2006 at 4:51 am
(15) HA HA HA HA says:

This is wayyy toooo funny!! Bwaaa ha ha ha ha!!

October 18, 2006 at 7:05 pm
(16) molly says:

I missed a call from this number and I googled “999-999-9999″ because the reverse phonebook came up with nothing, clicked on this article and my heart started POUNDING when I read the beginning. I am sooooo gullible. Then I got to “Blockbuster, blah blah..” And was totally releived to find out it was their “your movies are late, but not really because you have another week” call! I’m a dork.

October 26, 2006 at 1:00 pm
(17) negevoli says:

I don’t use an answering machine. First got the call yesterday morning and because of called ID I didn’t answer. I got two or three calls in a row and they let the phone ring 40-50 times before giving up. I just turn off the ringer and let them rip. Bastards.

October 26, 2006 at 1:04 pm
(18) negevoli says:

I should add that the second time I picked up the phone and said hello and got beeps, like you get with a fax machine. No human. And they are still calling.

October 26, 2006 at 10:31 pm
(19) willywonka says:

oddly enough, the author of the article died just 1 day after the article was published (cnn).

…..weird…

October 30, 2006 at 3:34 pm
(20) Mamasita says:

I don’t know what willywonka is talking about — the writer of the article, David Emery — wrote an article today — 10-30-06 – so he definitely didn’t die on November 22,2005. HOWEVER — I Googled the 999-999-9999 phone number just now and found his article after receiving a call from that # and NOT picking up. No voicemail left. BUT – at the time of the phone call – the day before Halloween, I am sitting here reading an article linked on AOL about the haunting of the Queen Mary (now a hotel in Long Beach, CA) and was reading one of the ghost sighting stories posted there, when the phone rang and the strange caller ID # came up. So I’m a bit creeped out! Glad I found the Urban Legends page about it and the other postings!

October 31, 2006 at 1:45 pm
(21) filip says:

so about 5 minutes ago i have received a phone call from 999999999 but i have to answered because it seemed very strange especially because today is halloween. i looked it up online and it brought me here, few seconds later new message had appeared so i have checked it, and to find out it was blockbuster telling me i owe a movie! lol

November 22, 2006 at 8:03 pm
(22) Catherine Potts says:

Hahaha… I just got that message b/c I had 3 movies I needed to return. Great stuff…

November 26, 2006 at 5:41 pm
(23) jordan says:

whats really funny is that im getting everyone to call this number and its really funny cuz they are doing and i got my cuzin to it its really funny

November 26, 2006 at 5:43 pm
(24) Johnathan says:

omg i call am scary place tell me it fake am 12 am to young to die.

November 28, 2006 at 11:30 am
(25) jess says:

Well I’m not scared I’m pissed… Someone keeps calling my house everyday with this number wanting to speak to my husband and just as soon as I tell them hes not here hes at work they hang up in my face. I keep trying to ask why are they calling but they wont answer they just hang up. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I hate when people hang up in your face.

December 1, 2006 at 2:37 pm
(26) Pam says:

I relieve at lunch on the front desk of a law office. Several days I have received a call from this number. Nobody there when I answered. I’m getting tired of it. I feel as if it is a telemarket of some sort.

December 2, 2006 at 4:57 pm
(27) rev_aaron says:

I just got this call. it was from a foreigner who didn’t know english, but asked me questions about my mortgage and told me my mortgage was late 1 FREAKING DAY! they had all these details about me and the only thing I gave them for info was part of my address and my email. I tried calling my mortgage company, but they aren’t open at 4:30pm on a saturday. I hope I don’t get scammed!

December 7, 2006 at 10:20 am
(28) Wade D / BLADE says:

Have gotten same No-Balls Calls 99999999 , I have used http://www.textmessage.cc/ to send free text messages back to this 999-999-999 ?? Weird-O ,not sure if it has actuall gone through , Use the Same 999999 for My name or phone number to be displayed.PLAY – BACK -Pay-Back

December 19, 2006 at 9:35 pm
(29) crazy cuz says:

i got the phone number too and I’m tellin anyone who knows anything about this. If this a prank beware of my wrath, but if this is death callin then come and get me punk!!!

December 28, 2006 at 12:33 pm
(30) Just Me says:

How can you stop this people? I would like to find out a way to block #999-999-999. Can someone help me?

August 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm
(31) ...anonymous says:

If yougot a smartphone download callconfirm you can block off scammers like 999-999-9999

December 31, 2006 at 7:41 pm
(32) natalie says:

i just got a call from this number. i didn’t pick up because i was a little freaked out. no message was left, so then i typed this in on google and this came up. i nearly like peed my pants hahaha. hopefully i wont die! happy new year!

January 3, 2007 at 9:43 pm
(33) MM says:

I got the call today January 3 at 10:21 am, did not pick up because th number seemed too weird to me but I did listen to the message and it was a computer generated voice but I couldn’t make out what it was trying to say. It all seemed odd to me so I googled thi number (999-999-9999) and I found this site. I am relieved to know it was not some kind of scam where they steal your number and then you get a phone bill for Thousands of dollars.

January 4, 2007 at 8:10 pm
(34) paco says:

i got the number thats not even funny! glad you have a website to help! i’m sure it helps people!

January 4, 2007 at 9:28 pm
(35) volpe says:

I admit I have movies past due but the first time they called for the 2 day rentals the number didn’t come up 9′s. But this mornin I got the 9′s but they didn’t leave a message and I was too tired to answer it.

January 11, 2007 at 9:45 pm
(36) Lee says:

I have been getting a call at the same time (8:56 AM Central) every morning for the last 2 months. Always displays 999-999-9999. I never answer. It always goes to my voice mail. There is only a series of beeps. I called cingular and they said they had never heard of it and could not block any numbers to a cell phone. I don’t do Blockbuster or Bank of America. Guess I’ll just continue to get my morning call.

January 12, 2007 at 4:55 pm
(37) Pete says:

I just got this call today(1/12/07)@2:21pm. Funny how whenever you need something it can be found with Google.
Funny how almost everyone here has only 1 post. Did none of you live another day!!? ahhhh….

January 19, 2007 at 7:20 pm
(38) Matt says:

I am pretty sure I will die tomorrow. But seriously this is so freakin annoying. I have been getting two phone calls a day for weeks and no one is there. So I just think of funny things to say to them when I pick up….bastards

January 23, 2007 at 12:51 am
(39) iris says:

I just got a call from 999-999-9999 and thought it was wierd so here I am checking it out first before listened to the message. but guess what? It was block buster my kids didn’t return the movies. wow did I feel better but was mad about the movies.

January 25, 2007 at 8:59 am
(40) marto says:

that movie sucks

January 26, 2007 at 12:00 pm
(41) Laura C. says:

I looked up the number too, first thing that popped up was “the number of death” i got the chills, turns out it probably was blockbuster because (unfortunatly) we have a late movie! Didnt get a voice mail though…..??

January 30, 2007 at 8:25 pm
(42) angela says:

i just got the call today, and he left a voice mail saying he was a detective for the kent police and he said he was tipped that i had drugs and paraphanilia…
i was like wtf

January 31, 2007 at 10:38 am
(43) Linda says:

I get calls from this 999-999-9999 once or twice a week at work. The most recent, this morning, was typical. The person called, burped into the phone, and hung up. Sometimes they breathe heavy. It’s amazing that people actually pay money for a spoofing service so they can do that. Don’t they have a life?

I work at a large University so I contacted our phone support to see how I can block this, it’s probably happening to a lot of others here as well.

February 1, 2007 at 4:58 am
(44) twiggy says:

ballocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 1, 2007 at 9:43 pm
(45) worried now says:

this is freaky. I don’t believe in urban legends. My mom answered this phone call couple days ago thinking that it was from a telemarketer. No one said anything. We don’t have an account with blockbuster and we don’t have an account at Bank of America. I wonder how they have gotten our number.

I’m getting sick and tired of these calls now.

February 7, 2007 at 4:35 pm
(46) Amy says:

LOL! I just got the same # on my missed call list. They didnt leave a message,but i do have a DVD I rented from blockbuster(which is now 2 day past due)HA! HA! HA!

February 15, 2007 at 2:51 am
(47) temesgen says:

its good!

February 19, 2007 at 5:27 pm
(48) Adam says:

Haha, I just missed a call from the number too.. 3:54pm GMT -6

Haha.. I’m kinda hoping they call back… some other site said something about wishes.

If I don’t post here tomorrow.. I apparently died. :(

http://www.anywho.com reverse lookup returns a “Collins, Kathryn”

February 20, 2007 at 4:03 pm
(49) rae says:

Today I recieved the 9999999999 and it was a recording from a correctionl facility and it was from someone I did not know but could not understand last name and wanted to talk to my name buy used my last name I had not had in over ten years. Is this a scam of sorts?

February 27, 2007 at 12:21 pm
(50) Mel says:

Funny I got this call, and as with all numbers I don’t recognize, I sent it to voicemail. I didn’t get the Blockbuster thing. At least not yet. Considering I work for another video rental company, and I’m doing my best to sabotage the Weinstein Co. and Blockbuster deal by making sure my customers get movies that are supposedly available for rental at Blockbuster, the Call of Death is probably supposed to work in my case. :D lol

Unreal. People have WAY WAY Too much time on their hands.

And now, having used the “B” word I need to go brush my teeth and get the nasty taste out of my mouth.

Mel

February 28, 2007 at 12:57 pm
(51) Rachel says:

thank you for telling me its blockbuster because I got the call and I was freaked out. Much obliged

March 2, 2007 at 11:37 pm
(52) Debbie says:

well, I just got that call and it was a recording about a missing 16 year old boy. They discribed what he was wearing where he was last seen. It said if I had seen him to call the local law inforcement. The odd thing was they discribed what my own 17 year old son was wearing. Said he had on a red shirt, jeans, tennis shoes. Kind of generic. Not sure if it’s legit, plan to call the non emergency no. for the police department tomorrow to find out.

March 3, 2007 at 1:20 pm
(53) Debbie says:

I called the local police department today and they said it is a new tool they are using to locate people quickly and that is was legitimate

March 7, 2007 at 12:18 am
(54) Lindsay says:

I just got this call today at 1:39 pm and i am pissed i missed the call because it wont let me call it back…and there was no voicemail. At first i was relieved to find it was blockbuster but after reading everyone else’s comments i am so confused. wtf is it?

March 7, 2007 at 5:13 pm
(55) Vikki says:

I got this call also….but they actually knew my name and if I was that person I was suppose to hit #1 if not #2 Wonder what that is about????

March 7, 2007 at 9:37 pm
(56) ewok says:

i just received a call from 999-999-9999
hhhmmm how weird

March 8, 2007 at 8:44 pm
(57) me says:

I just got this call today @ 5:09pm a guy was asking if my Mom or Dad was home I laughed and said what and then he hanged up……I’m scared what is this all about – there is another one her on the site that got the call @ 5:09 as well…….

March 14, 2007 at 12:27 pm
(58) Tammy The Great says:

I get calls from this number at least 3 times a week. It always sounds like a fax is trying to come through. It’s sooo annoying. Stupid number.

March 15, 2007 at 4:03 pm
(59) ree says:

Well tell ya what…. last year i was in the hospital having tests ran on me on way home I got that 999-999-9999 on my cell phone never answered it…I joked to my hubby saying it my (Dead) Father checkin in on me… But few minutes later my brother called me on my cell…. he told me that my mother just died! since then i had like 4 more calls from that number rest of that day never again after that. How weird is that?!

March 23, 2007 at 6:09 pm
(60) BECCA says:

9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 CALLED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 23, 2007 at 11:01 pm
(61) Jason says:

i got the same call i awnsered and said what the hell whos this and they didnt say anythig so i said dont call again so i told them to go **** them self and they hung up the phone just before they hung up the phone they said ill kill u

March 25, 2007 at 5:01 pm
(62) Sar! says:

ok so i called the number at 1:29pm and nobody picked up but then they called me back at 4:10pm apparently it was some asian lady i didn’t understand a word she was saying so i just told her to go f**k herself and hung up =]

March 29, 2007 at 1:14 pm
(63) Jason says:

I got a call from a friend I had not talked to in a while to tell me another one of our friends from high school had committed suicide. Later that day I got the “call of death”. I did not answer the phone because I was not at home at the time. They did not leave a message. We do not have any overdue movies at Blockbuster. Dum da dum dum dummmm

April 6, 2007 at 8:54 am
(64) 9999999999 says:

currently hoax going in india

April 9, 2007 at 3:32 pm
(65) Ben Dover says:

I had 999-999-9999 calling me for about a week, but I don’t answer calls from unlisted numbers. (I’ve set my mobile phone’s ringtone for that number and all other “Unknown” numbers to “Silent”). I guess they gave up, because I then received a call from 24-Hour Fitness’s 1-888 number to say my credit card had expired. After I updated my details, I never heard from 999-999-9999 again. So, my assumption is that it’s more widespread than just Blockbuster and Bank of America, but related to people trying to get money out of you.

April 10, 2007 at 9:59 pm
(66) Ross says:

I’ve been getting calls from 999-999-9999 for a few months now and I always seem to miss it. However, once a few weeks ago I picked up and a recorded voice had me verify my name and some other information too, and then I was put on hold again for so long that I had to hang up. They still call back though. They just called at 9:00pm. Who knows, someday I’ll answer.

April 13, 2007 at 12:20 pm
(67) Kufri Wah says:

It is some mobile phone company who got erected their booster in some graveyard….. so all mobiles connecting through that booster are displayed as 999-999-9999. And those who are passed away and now residing in that graveyard are playing this game…

April 13, 2007 at 3:14 pm
(68) salman says:

today i got a call from *000111#425 but i did,nt attend it coz i know that death calls virus is in world so iwaz scare……

April 14, 2007 at 5:08 am
(69) Dr.mehmood ahmed says:

Today i just recieved a fone call from
*00119998#88999* with unknow callerand unknown place.i knew that its a death call/
thats why i placed the mobile fone
at a far distance and with a stick …and suddenly….
theer was a sharp sound just pinching my mind from a good distance as well
i just broke my mobile and it was quiet.
I m still feeling a mysterious type of pain in my mind ….
but I m fine. at te time ..realy dont know about the future.

April 18, 2007 at 8:15 pm
(70) Zachary says:

Well, I’m on the phone with 999-999-9999 Tiana from the loan consolidation services. She has a very friendly voice for death. She said the phone number was “messed up” when I told her about the death number. It sounds like a scam, though. Be careful.

April 19, 2007 at 8:25 pm
(71) Pete says:

I think this may happen when the call is originated from an internet phone service (such as Skype or many others). Since the caller doesn’t have a conventional “phone number” the caller ID gets confused. Moral: don’t believe everything your caller ID tells you.

April 19, 2007 at 9:20 pm
(72) steven hazard says:

i got a call from this number 2 or 3 times this month but they always call while im at school so i cant answer. im kind of wondering who places theease calls and why me? how did they get my number? im going to reserch it and figure it out

April 25, 2007 at 10:04 am
(73) Sandra says:

has anyone figured out how to stop these calls?

August 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm
(74) Anonymous says:

If you got a smartphone download callconfirm and you can block off scammers like 999-999-9999 hope it helped :)

April 26, 2007 at 12:16 am
(75) Armando says:

Yes please if someone does figured it out let us know. For the last 3 nights and always when I go to bed is when I get the phone calls from that F&^%$& 999-999-9999 #

August 16, 2011 at 9:08 pm
(76) Anonymous says:

Read what i wrote above ^.^

April 26, 2007 at 10:46 pm
(77) Amanda says:

I got this call tonight and picked up, even though I wierded out by the 9′s. The person talked to me and said they were from some division of the police trying to get me to buy some $40 tickets to sponsor local children. He didnt say what children for what reason, but he did say that it was a fundraising function at a local event place, that I recognized. When I said to the guy that I couldnt donate anything, he said “ugggh” and hung up. That was odd.. and he sounded nervous too.
I’m never answering any 999s again!

May 3, 2007 at 8:52 pm
(78) Mara says:

got a call from this number the other day on my cell phone. my boyfriend answered it and said “nine?” and there was no one on the other end, so we just hung up.

May 7, 2007 at 4:22 pm
(79) joey says:

i got this number on my arby’s receipt that how i found this article :P

!!!receipt of death!!!

lol

May 10, 2007 at 1:19 pm
(80) GUSTAVO LABRA says:

MY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT, I GOT THIS CALL 999-999-999, BUT WHEN I PICKED UP, IT WAS A REAL PERSON TALKING TO ME, HE WAS LAUGHING, AND ASKED “IS THE GALAXY THERE?” I WAS IN DOUBT ABOUT WHAT THE PERSON HAD ASKED ME AT THE MOMENT, BUT I DIDN’T HAVE TIME TO ASK HIM BECAUSE HE HUNG UP. THE SECOND TIME I RECEIVED THE CALL, IT WAS A LADY WITH THE SAME QUESTION, AND AGAIN SHE ASKED SO FAST AND HUNG UP. THATS IT, BUT LIKE THE AUTHOR HERE, I STILL HAVEN’T HEARD ANYTHING FROM BLOCKBUSTER, HAHAHA. THANKS GUYS!

May 17, 2007 at 6:45 pm
(81) screwed says:

OMG WTF DO I DO??????????!!!!!!!!!I DON’T HAVE CALLER ID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 17, 2007 at 9:05 pm
(82) Kari says:

This number came up on my cell phone; when I listened to the voicemail it was an automated message from Waste Management saying that pickup on trash day would be earlier than usual.

May 23, 2007 at 3:08 pm
(83) Ruth says:

I didn’t have time to sift through 77 comments to see if this was already mentioned. I got the #9 call last night. It was a recording from my local police department with a missing child alert. They gave a description of the child and a phone number to call. The number did turn out to be the local police number. I think this is just shows up when the caller ID info is blocked on purpose, for privacy. No big deal.

May 24, 2007 at 11:20 am
(84) Taryn says:

This number just called my office… I answered, and after a slight pause, an answering machine started playing. It sounded like an old man saying “You have reached 777-3333, Please leave a message”… I just hung the phone up.

May 28, 2007 at 2:54 pm
(85) misty says:

got call in afternoon sounded like operator came back and gave me my phone number a phone hung up and i was the only one in the house

June 12, 2007 at 4:25 pm
(86) Lee says:

I’ve just gotten a call from 999-999-9999. My caller ID shows the name First National. I did pick up and said hello 3 times — no response.

June 27, 2007 at 3:51 am
(87) brenda says:

i marked the number and called and it says the number or code you entered is incorrect so its fake!!!

June 29, 2007 at 2:14 am
(88) Cassie says:

I havent gotten that number yet but i’ve gotten 777-777-7777 about an hr ago. Does anyone know what that means? I missed it because I wasnt near the phone. Everyone is telling me its some one from heaven calling? Do I believe it?? Who can help me out here?

July 2, 2007 at 1:55 am
(89) jou says:

i got this call and it was a man talking in thai i couldnt uderstand, but the scary part is that my brother was listening in and later that day someone attacked my brother to the point he was in a coma for 2 monthes and then he wouldnt speak when he did talk he babbled something about a light and flames it still scares me.

July 7, 2007 at 8:13 pm
(90) Rachel says:

my brother told me a story of this happening to like 6 of his friends. for 2 weeks straight they all got a call at the same time. and at the same time every night. when they picked up all they heard is like heavy breathing, and static. they were really freaked out, but then one night it just stopped. idk. but it sounded REALLY weird.

July 16, 2007 at 9:30 pm
(91) Ana says:

I recently received a call from the number 999-999-999. I never picked it up nor did I call it back. But what is even stranger is I have been getting two calls a day from an unavailable number. It started before I got the 999-999-999 call. One day I picked it up and no one was on the other line. It’s a little strange.

July 18, 2007 at 2:38 am
(92) Krista says:

wow i got this call today and i just did a lil research on it and its crepping me out. and i dont use that bank thing or block buster and im a lil scared??
The phone call of Death??
and im not the only one but i didnt answer it.
im 13 and scared s*** less

July 30, 2007 at 11:30 am
(93) D'Ann says:

The home in which I was working taking care of children a couple of weeks ago received a call from this 999-999-9999 and the caller ID had the name Oprah Winfrey with it. A couple of days later, another call came in with that number and it said Private Caller. What is up with this crap???? I guess once again, Satan is getting his grips on more people. What a shame. This world has gotten bad enough, we don’t need pranks like this to make it worse than it already is.

August 5, 2007 at 9:11 pm
(94) Angela says:

We just got the 999 call. Neither me nor my mom picked it up, scared out of our minds. They left a voicemail and my mom checked it. She didn’t say anything about the static, but she said the man that left a voicemail sounded foreign. Hopefully that will be the last call we get! I’m still kind of weirded out by it.

August 16, 2007 at 11:32 am
(95) Dave says:

I just got that number yesturday. I looked it up on google and read this article. Since I am on the national do not call registry I also filed a complaint to them as after I read a few of the articles I figured it was a telemarketer. Hope they get caught one day. I will not answer a phone if I dont recognize the number or its blocked. They can speak to my answering service if its important enough.

August 21, 2007 at 6:17 am
(96) 999-999-9999 says:

if you keep talking about me im going to kill you all

September 4, 2007 at 8:24 pm
(97) lol u are a funny guy says:

lol, u are soo funny
pretending to be teh guy, well ig ot a call from 999999999 and it turns out it was from my tash company XD

September 13, 2007 at 1:10 pm
(98) Trick Caller ID says:

I have a blog about this very same topic called Trick Caller ID – this sort of technology for spoofing caller id is now easily available to consumers. If you want to learn how it works check out my posts.

October 19, 2007 at 1:05 pm
(99) mara says:

a few answers:
1) there are ways (with most, if not all phone companies) to block calls (certain numbers)
(1a) there are also ways to lodge a complaint (with the police)if a certain number persists.
2) telemarketers often have computers do the calling–it’s a computer-generated call–and that’s why there’s often a pause before a telemarketer sees a signal that someone has picked up and is on the line. You might hear some noises during that pause, followed by a little background noises (like that of a call center), followed by someone at last saying hello.
3) if no one speaks, it could maybe be a glitch in the computer-generated system
4) in the USA you can go to donotcall.gov to get on the national do not call registry (to stop telemarketers and read more info). It’s good for 5 years. I did it when it was first made available and it really helped (for 5 years). After that, I started getting calls again, and had to register again
(4a) political organizations & charity calls are not included
(4b) after you are registered, you should tell callers you are registered. This gives you legal rights.
5) cell phones? Per current FCC regulations, telemarketers are prohibited from calling cell phone numbers using automated dialers, which are standard in the industry.
(5a) note: Today I got the 999# on my cell phone, so I’m wondering about that. Naughty or dumb computer? :)

October 29, 2007 at 9:55 am
(100) trudy says:

I have had this same number twice…the last just a few moments ago. This finally led me to your website as I was concerned about it. Now I know to just delete it and go on with my daily life. Thanks for the information

November 13, 2007 at 11:39 pm
(101) Rosalinda says:

OMG! My fiance past away last year, and about tw0 weeks after his death I begin receiving calls from this #999-999-999. First on my cousins home phone who I was staying with at the time then on a new cell phone I had just purcased and then on my new home phone#. I beleive it was calls from my fiance just from the calls to all the new #’s,…. could this be?

December 11, 2007 at 9:25 pm
(102) Gabrielle McMillen says:

Ok I am freaked out now. I just had that number call me a little bit ago. It rung the whole way to my answer machine then they hung up. You said it was block buster. I don’t even use block buster and there isn’t even one around me. So I know it can’t be that. This is really weird and messed up.

December 30, 2007 at 4:10 pm
(103) sara miller says:

Most of you people posting are stupid. The 999 number is just a block telemarketing companies & collection agencies have so you cannot get their real number. Blockbuster has a collections dept so they are one of many that use the 999 number.A lot of the times these places are calling a wrong number since most are to cell phones or very old collections accounts.

January 10, 2008 at 12:16 pm
(104) Cathy says:

I asked Verizon about this as I too have received many of these calls. They suggest that after you have replaced the receiver that you hit *57 & a trace is put on the number. You need to do this a few times at the cost of $1 after which you can place an official with the police.

January 21, 2008 at 6:31 pm
(105) NateDog says:

dude i just tried it and got communications so its all BS

January 31, 2008 at 4:56 pm
(106) melissa 4show! says:

okay am at school reading this article rite then all of a sudden my phone rang!! omg rite…but its was just my mom…LOL

February 2, 2008 at 10:03 pm
(107) Amy says:

Welll this one day i got this call at 12:00 AM and the number was 999-999-9999. I didnt pick it up just because it was late and i was super tired. The next morning right as i awoke the number called again and i was freaked so i didnt pick it up. When i went downstairs to tell my mom about the number my mom told me that my Great Aunt died last night around the middle at night. I was so freaked. My aunt and i were close when I was younger.& we lost touch and my great aunts neice later told me that she had been trying to get a hold of me days before she died becasue she ahd something to tell me and it was important. I believe this number is used for loved dead ones to reach thier loved ones. I you get this number do not fear its a dead friend or family member seeking you. They want to talk to you. they love yuou

February 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm
(108) Dr. John Leeman says:

I dont feel that its fair for this web to pos this fake stuff. This number is not real and is made up to scare people. Anyone who beleives this should think again

March 6, 2008 at 1:04 pm
(109) Mali says:

Omg! Guys, seriously, it was just a movie! No one is going to grant you wishes then kill you when you call or get calls from this number. This is not the telephone of death, although that might be the name the American give it in the evetual remake. It wasn’t even that scary a movie. Goodness only knows how goofy little things like this get out of hand. In the early days of the movie, as a promotion, one would dial the number and get a creepy message(in Thai), but that was only in Thailand as far as I know. So rest assured, this is as urban legend as this gets. Chill. Peace.

March 13, 2008 at 4:28 pm
(110) MIKE G says:

TOO wierd… I was reading this article.. got the comments and I got a call from 999 999 9999… WHILE READING THIS ARTICLE..
FREAKING ME OUT!
TOTALLY serious!

March 31, 2008 at 10:41 am
(111) iris says:

I get every damn day! the 999999 crap! and they Do leave a “BEEPING” sound not a fax ….sounds like when you leave your car door open with the keys inside or lights on! a beep like that! i NEVER SEEN THE MOVIE YOU ALL ARE TALKING ABOUT.. and i dont think i want to!;-(
i will not call it back…not out of fright of dying just thinking its a hacker trying to steal my minutes ( on pre-paid) I am on boost( nextel) is this happening to Other plans or just a single one?

April 1, 2008 at 6:16 pm
(112) jajaja says:

Is this serious imy frind clld it on my phone

April 2, 2008 at 11:48 pm
(113) iris says:

Not sure what happens BUt i will NOt call it for god knows who it is!

May 12, 2008 at 7:46 pm
(114) iris says:

It most might be spam but its annoying! i dont even waist my minutes answering it!

May 19, 2008 at 6:02 pm
(115) tessa says:

Normally Blockbuster calls me from 000-000-0000.
Today I received a call from 999-999-9999 & didn’t answer it because I don’t answer unknown calls, and it was a recorded message from Banfield the Pet Hospital with a reminder to make an appt for my cat. So it must be used by several companies with automated systems.

May 26, 2008 at 10:18 am
(116) dubchika says:

Stupid number called me and woke me up. I looked at my caller ID and I was like, “wow, really? That number exists?” I never pick up calls that I don’t know so I let my phone ring. Didn’t leave a voicemail. I called it back and it rang once and I hung up. If they keep calling me I’m going to be so pissed… But I know I have 2 blockbuster cards and I haven’t checked out any of them… Hm. And I don’t have Bank of America. *sigh*

May 31, 2008 at 11:43 am
(117) David says:

I started getting calls from this number very soon after I sent several letters to George W. Bush calling him a socialist piece of crap, and a child molester. I also know that the authorities can turn your phone on remotely and listen in to your activities!

June 1, 2008 at 9:42 am
(118) spooked says:

i am only ten tell me it’s not true please i’m spooked out of my wits please some tell me it’s not real.

June 6, 2008 at 9:10 pm
(119) tann says:

This past year, I’ve been getting crazy numbers. It’s always telemarketers. Starting June 3rd, I’ve been getting the 999-999-9999 calls up the butt, almost every hour. I’ve even gotten a call with 14 digits, it was something like 700-174-10900345. I don’t even know how that’s possible but I guess crazy telemarketers can do some crazy crap with computers. Or it can be telemarketers from out of the country, I don’t know. Anyway, I never answer calls I do not know so I can avoid unnecessary stress. After reading this, I signed up on the donotcall.gov registry like one of the previous posts suggested. Hopefully it works.

June 12, 2008 at 12:24 pm
(120) Beth says:

We have been receiving calls from 999-999-9999 two and three times a day. These people have our full names, and say they are calling from our LOAN company. We called our loan company to find out what was going on, and here’s what they said. They have been receiving a lot of complaints about this number, as when you punch one to speak with a representative, it will transfer you to a foreign country, and charged hugely for each moment you speak to their representatives.

June 18, 2008 at 1:10 pm
(121) DATedder says:

I spoke with a chick and interrupted her. Told her I was going to cut off her head and do bad things to it.

NYC

June 20, 2008 at 3:33 am
(122) Johni says:

Are you all stupid or what? I just can’t believe that you all will believe this kind of thing.
wake up man, it is 21st century now !!!

June 23, 2008 at 4:08 pm
(123) TH says:

I’ve been getting calls from the 9999999999 number as well. Happened last year and I called Verizon, but they couldn’t help. Now I’m getting them again. When I pick up, all I hear is soft music – no voices or anyone there. Don’t think it’s anything to be alarmed about – probably just telemarkets. I don’t think we all have to be scared – just watch out for international phone numbers!

July 9, 2008 at 12:07 pm
(124) Cranky_Old_Batt says:

Well this scam(?) is alive and well. I have gotten several of these calls over the past few days. I have not been available to pick up the phone when they call but would not anyway.

Instead of any superstitious mumbo jumbo I just assumed it is telemarketing war dialing – especially given that there is this election thing going on…

Phone call of death. That rich.

July 14, 2008 at 5:53 pm
(125) Emily says:

I just got called by that number and it played music
lol

July 19, 2008 at 12:14 pm
(126) Karin says:

I just got a call from this same number. This is the first time and it’s weird! I didn’t answer it b/c I have been getting a lot of political calls so I let the machine get it. Nothing. Not a word. Just dead silence (and I don’t mean that literally :-) ). I don’t use blockbuster or Bank of America and as far as I know–i don’t have any bills overdue so much that would warrent a call on a Saturday.

July 30, 2008 at 10:00 pm
(127) Brian says:

I got this call at 9:30am and i was dreaming the night before about killing someone…very odd XD

August 14, 2008 at 9:56 pm
(128) Hockey Cat 76 says:

I just got phone call 999-999-999 I did not anwser the phone call. I just let it go to my answering machine . answering machine has mans voice on it that is preset. the caller ended the call. I get a prank caller once a week. I have just gotten use to them over the 3 + yeard that had my number.

August 15, 2008 at 6:41 pm
(129) Jen says:

Hi,I hope I am not the only one.. I had that same 999-999-9999, 765-283-3498(sallie mae) and 480-423-2335(teltrax corp) whatever that is. They just want your bank account and all your personal info. They will try and also say that you have student loans due, which I never been to college, therefore “why would I have a loan?” . Don’t you think I would know if I had a loan. These people in my oponion are nothing but scams. They want your money and they will do anything to try and get any birth-date or social security number or bank account info.. So I would keep checking your credit report and just watch or don’t give your information to anyone..

August 25, 2008 at 7:17 pm
(130) luvem says:

My wife gets these on her cell phone and did not let me know. I viewed these and lots of talk time. so there must be a block to show 999-999-9999 as a number to block numbers.

August 26, 2008 at 10:50 am
(131) carol says:

I just got a call from this number and was afraid to answer! lmao
Turns out the be verizon high speed internet offer.
Dang I think I peed my pants!

September 9, 2008 at 2:56 pm
(132) Charlie says:

1) Most companies cannot block a number from calling you, these include Verizon, Virgin Mobile, and others like Sprint…so just dont pick up! :P

September 12, 2008 at 12:59 pm
(133) Kim says:

I just rec’d a call like this. I answered it and heard like island music and drums or something, then a click like a call was connected, then a few seconds later, they hung up. No voices or anything. Weird.

September 30, 2008 at 5:31 pm
(134) john says:

Just received a call from this number but did not answer. Later I checked the voice mail message and it turned out to be a health reminder from Av-Med Health Insurance, my health care provider.

October 14, 2008 at 2:08 pm
(135) Bonnie says:

My daughter has been getting incoming calls from 999-999-9999 on her verizon phone for two months now. I have been on the phone with them to find out why and who this is. My last bill was over 500.00 because of the minutes used. The calls do not show up on her received call list and she says she is not receiving any calls from anyone. So explain this one

October 23, 2008 at 8:23 pm
(136) Judy says:

How do I get them to STOP! I have received
5 calls today from 9999999999. Do they
not have a life?

November 3, 2008 at 2:15 am
(137) Nick says:

I just called the number, and I reached the law offices of Matt (blank).
There is no death call or anything like that!

November 20, 2008 at 9:42 pm
(138) Nina says:

When my EX HUSBAND tRies to call me collect from prison, that is the # that shows up ON MY CALLER ID. If I do answer it they give me the option to accept which I dont.

December 17, 2008 at 3:24 pm
(139) PSS OFF says:

Not sure of the legality, but was finally able to trace the “999-999-9999″ number back to Nuance Software (www.nuance.com). Its their sales dept – and I was getting these mysterious calls for the past 2-3 weeks. No messages, no one online. Finally got a message today and was able to ID them. They have some great products (PaperPort, OmniPage, Dragon Naturally Speaking, etc.) but I told them they just lost a sale using this tactic to conceal their phone number. I own some of their software, so I am probably considered someone with an “established relationship” and therefore legal

January 6, 2009 at 10:21 am
(140) Cody Frizzelle says:

Wow 4 weeks Ago I Got a Call From This And It Was Some Old Lady Askin 4 Me And I Had Never Heard 4rm This Woman B4 She Asked Me if I was Cody and I Responded Yes Then A dail tone came up so i called it back and got the dail tone again and i listend 4 like 20 mins and then music started playin

January 27, 2009 at 3:54 pm
(141) Jordyn says:

I M 11 and hav NVR herd ovv dis B4!!!! My older sis hoo iz 19 haz gotten 1 tho…..it waz her bank

January 30, 2009 at 7:12 pm
(142) HOWARD says:

Well I received this number on my cell phone number last night while I was driving down the road and thought it was my fat ass mashing the number 9. Well tonite I received it on my home number and call it back and of course nothing. Well I decide to google the numer and look at what i found. Information from “DEATH CALLS”, TO perople trying to steal my money to Just stupied people. Well Heres is what I think. If you are SATIN and calling me to bring death on me (well bring an Army and a Big Gun), because I am not ready to DIE, and if your are trying to steal my money Well KISS MY ASS BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE ANY” AND if you are just a stupid then get a dame life.

May 14, 2011 at 12:26 am
(143) ella says:

SATIN : a fabric (as of silk) in satin weave with lustrous face and dull back –

so you are afraid of the fabric of death? perhaps SATAN is wearing a cape of satin?

get a dame life – dame is a female woman. damn women.

February 19, 2009 at 6:21 pm
(144) Jennifer says:

It is definently Blockbuster. Blockbuster also uses 000-000-0000

February 24, 2009 at 4:29 am
(145) anonymous says:

the number is 999 9999

March 1, 2009 at 12:46 am
(146) ItaliaRican says:

O.M.G. like I just got a call from the number and I was like who dis? and dey was like yo momma..

March 16, 2009 at 9:48 pm
(147) Its people trying to scam you or get your info says:

When you get calls like this, they’re from companies trying to get info on you for telemarketing, they want you to answer and respond to personal questions ie name, address ect. alot of them expect you to call back, it’s acting on your curiosity, just remember alot of scamers are out there trying to get your info. NEVER GIVE YOUR PERSONAL INFO TO PEOPLE YOU DON”T KNOW. EVEN FILLING OUT “FREE CAR” OR WHATEVER ONLINE AND THE MALL SOMEWHERE WILL GET YOUR NAME AND NUMBER SOLD TO TELEMARKETING COMPANIES.

March 18, 2009 at 8:06 am
(148) Skittles says:

That is really weird. This one time i watched “When a stranger calls” and my phone rang. i answered but nobody was there. i freaked out. i stay under my covers untill morning!

March 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm
(149) TJ says:

My phone rang and it came up as “withheld” — since I use trapcall.com (Free service which tells you who is calling, even if they block your number), I hit “ignore” and the phone number that came up was 999.999.9999. They left a message. It was an international pharmacy telling me that I could get legal prescriptions though them. Uh huh. Yeah. Right. Bye bye, now.

April 3, 2009 at 3:57 am
(150) Cathy says:

I received the “death call” on 3/30. My father in law just passed away the day before. Kind of scary

April 6, 2009 at 1:37 pm
(151) Louise Wotkyns says:

Really scarry!!! I had my phone upside down and saw number as 666-666-6666!!! I about died on the spot!!!

April 15, 2009 at 11:28 pm
(152) Melly says:

I’m pretty sure that the phone number 9999999999 comes up when a person blocks their phone number, so, if any of you have gotton really weird calls from that very
nine-ish number it’s probably a bunch of pranksters. All you have to do is dial *67 before the number you are about to call to block your number, it’s that easy. Trust me, I’ve done it a few times…

April 17, 2009 at 11:17 am
(153) asante says:

really from blockbuster? it cant be because i don’t buy or rent movies from blockbuster and i saw this number on my cell phone just a minute ago. so how can it be that blockbuster will be calling me? im getting freaked out here….

April 18, 2009 at 10:14 am
(154) Beth says:

I get these too sometimes. It is the Dept. of Education. For school loans etc.

April 27, 2009 at 2:32 am
(155) Brianbase says:

i got the cll and someone killed me :)

April 28, 2009 at 6:06 pm
(156) Joanie says:

The phone number is what the phone co uses for “Restricted number” when someone doesn’t want their phone number shown, the restricted number shows up on your bill as 999 999 9999 instead of restricted. DON”T FREAK OUT ABOUT IT. It’s just restricted. I got a call from my BF from his dad’s phone and his dad’s number is restricted. freaked me out at first but when I heard his voice I knew it was him.
:D

May 14, 2009 at 12:47 pm
(157) Cellphone says:

First, you CAN block calls from your cell phone. I will tell you how. Second, it IS NOT blockbuster. Blockbuster DOES NOT block their number, I have gotten their calls many times.

Since the wireless carriers are too stupid/lazy to implement blocking, I signed up for Trapcall to figure out where my mysterious phone calls are coming from. I am using their free plan for right now. It reveals the phone calls are coming from 999-999-9999, and therefore spoofed. I then used Trapcall to block that telephone number forever. Problem solved.

May 16, 2009 at 9:12 pm
(158) ??? says:

u know whats scary?… everyone was a sleep and at around 4am our phone started ringing… no one picked up because we were all too tired. the next day my sister looked at the caller id… it says that our own house called us… we were all like ??? how is that possible. usually when u call your own number it gets a busy tone… but how is it possible that my mothers name and our phone number showed up on the caller id? does anyone have an answer???

May 27, 2009 at 8:23 pm
(159) stinger says:

displaying your own number is actually very simple..if its a landline and you subscribe to your local telecomms options of blocking telemarketers, which means the system will not allow a blocked call to ring through to your phone. the system then gives the caller the option to enter their caller id in order to get through this one time. the problem is that the caller can enter ANY number including your own and the system will then allow the call through

June 17, 2009 at 6:09 pm
(160) Christie says:

i got that call it was the las vegas municipal court.

June 28, 2009 at 9:12 am
(161) Mysterious Indian says:

In india 9999 (new delhi mobile,vodafone) hence 9999-999999 is a vodafone number in india (nay vary in countries)

June 29, 2009 at 2:23 am
(162) lll says:

fancy

June 29, 2009 at 7:05 pm
(163) Holly says:

i got a prank call from friends and when i tried 2 c the number i got called from it said 999-999-9999. so i guess thats the number u see if u call *67 too. :D what do ya kno? :D

July 13, 2009 at 8:09 am
(164) Darren says:

theres is another death number too: 86664666. its rumored that in Malaysia when u pick up u will start to foam at the mouth or bleed and then you die.I think it was reported on the papers too. Heard its some black magic thingy. Maybe you could look into that?

August 4, 2009 at 1:29 pm
(165) Gazami says:

Bizarre, I just got a call from that (999)999-9999 number on my cell.

The weirdest thing was, I had set my cellphone with 2 different song settings, one for Caller ID & one Without Caller ID. This number rang and the song that went off was WITH caller ID but when I checked it didn’t have any caller ID like it was supposed to. I am so weirded out. And I’m definitely not signed up with Blockbuster or anything like that. lolwtfsalt.

September 5, 2009 at 8:27 am
(166) Art says:

I receive calls from Name Unavailable @ 999-999-999 also. Mine are from Waste Management informing me of changed pick-up schedules due to upcoming holidays. My guess is this is a generic number or program utilized by a number of different businesses.

October 20, 2009 at 9:48 pm
(167) Motioncity13 says:

hello, just making a quick update.
999-999-9999
if they call you on your cell, DO NOT CALL BACK ON A CELL PHONE
they scam your bills and take your phone number away
my technisian specialist friend told me this

October 28, 2009 at 9:34 pm
(168) crystal says:

we’ll i called the number but from my friends phone and i didnt think anything of it but then i got home later that day and that number called my house not my cell phone my house im a little scared =(

November 3, 2009 at 6:26 pm
(169) nf says:

yeah .. 999-999-999 ..just call me today …should I care ..????..nah……

November 14, 2009 at 1:58 am
(170) PSP GUY says:

Ok, What I think is going on, is that this page has a script that sends your ip add, and then tracked,and then a info/phone number check, and… spam! (999-999-9999) I remember my sister, got the ‘omfgwtfbbq call of death’ and, i looked it up. 4 months AGO… nuthn bad’s happened to me.

December 2, 2009 at 11:08 am
(171) kathy says:

that phone number means somebody first pushed, for example *67 and then your phone number so the phone call would be blocked. Try it, call your wife, but first block your callerID and see what the bill will say. So Blockbuster has their ID blocked, probably so people will answer the phones when overdue movies are due, makes sense.

December 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm
(172) 999-999-9999 says:

да вы больные люди если забиваете этой ерундой свою голову ))))))

December 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm
(173) 999-999-9999 says:

у

January 4, 2010 at 6:42 pm
(174) Kathy says:

Don’t feel bad – I got a call from 000-000-000 – that too was pretty wierd.
Found out telemarketers use some software to block the number but that it won’t put numbers in their place.
If I don’t know the # – I don’t answer – period

January 10, 2010 at 9:19 pm
(175) Freakiness (O.o) says:

dayem this is freakin me out-
heard that people were dieing because of these phone
calls- :P but i want to know more about it

January 12, 2010 at 5:58 pm
(176) khong says:

hey hello people im khong will i have never goten the call but this super natral thing is real becuase 10 hmong people has died already because of this so dont think this is fake if u see theses numbers dont pick up 000-0000-00000or this one 888-8888-8888 or this one 999-9999-9999 so please dont pick up these phone numbers there ghosts and if u dont die automactilly u will die a couple days later so yea dont pick these phone numbers up ok !!!! :(

January 19, 2010 at 10:36 am
(177) lILO gIRL says:

how does this phone call start??? /and why is it only our Hmong people??? How did these things started????

January 19, 2010 at 10:37 am
(178) Little Girl Reseraching says:

Will i agreee with what khong said, i heard that
this was a phone # of curse also that many people had
died from this phone call so i was wondering if it true
i also heard that 6 hmong people at st.paul had one of those phone calls and didn’t know and picked it up
thenn soon later,, couple of days the y died.
on the other hand i heard that the phone call came
from thailand – im not sure, and lastly
when you pick it up no one answers so i’m confused???
do any of you think its true???…..

January 29, 2010 at 8:07 pm
(179) Kristen says:

i got 2 calls from 2 different numbers today. they were 765-111-1111 at 621pm and then 1-211-212-121 at 627pm.if u get either of these numbers also dnt answer them

February 10, 2010 at 9:29 am
(180) gazouie says:

Euh, I’m from Canada and received this called from the legendary 9s calls.. first time for me. But I’ve been reading that you all had received it on your ell phone? I received it on my home phone… And please stop thinking this has anything to do with satan or dead people or what so ever. Mayby this is a new device for hackers? How can they get my number when I pay for a private number? Can anyone answer me?

February 15, 2010 at 6:54 pm
(181) Lisa & Kevin says:

My boyfriend just received a call from an unknown caller but when he went to listen to the voicemail that number left it read 999 only and it was a voicemail he had left for me the day before. What the hell is going on? How is that possible. We have also been receiving emails that indicate to us that they know alot of our personal info.? I am scared, someone please HELP!

March 7, 2010 at 12:40 pm
(182) jaime says:

this is so freaking weird im gonna try the number out k i got 999-999-9999 i pressed talk and the voice mail said something strange something i just cant put my finger on k anyway ill have nightmares tonight cuz of a story i read called dreams and nightmares this story is weird but great 5 thumbs up and 5 stars that’s both my ratings peace loves hugs kisses and peace

April 14, 2010 at 2:23 am
(183) chandu says:

hey yaar my phone number itself is 9999999999

May 1, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(184) Harris F. Allen says:

Perhaps my comment will be the first for the month of May 2010. That number was on my phone for a call that I did not answer, “Unknown Name” followed by the nines. Call was repeated 8 minutes later. Way too suspicious, so I checked for messages: nada (nothing).

Not a technology whiz here, but there may be some possibility of being scammed merely by answering. Not a rumor, only a possibility.

May 8, 2010 at 2:19 am
(185) Amila says:

THIS IS A RUMOR. A COMPLETE MARKETING CAMPAIGN. SRI LANKA GOVT. CONFIRMED THAT THIS IS FALSE.

TECHNICALLY, MOBILE PHONES CAN’T EMIT SUCH HIGH FREQUENCIES.

May 14, 2010 at 11:11 pm
(186) Mike n Tasha says:

OMG i was so scared. I got this text message from +999 999 9999 saying hey babe whats up? and I was like oh my god, what do i do? so i tried calling and all i got was a beep beep beep, I am so scared right now. One week later and still have heard nothing back from that number. This is so messed up!

June 2, 2010 at 4:21 pm
(187) Marissa says:

So for the longest time I have been getting these voicemails randomly and in always in school when I get them and they all say different things and the last one that I had was yesterday and I woke up this morning and my cell said 1 missed call. So I looked at the number and it said 999-999-9999 and that it called at 1:24 am. and I thought what the heck, so my friend and I looked on google to try and figure out what it was and I was so scared when I seen “The Death Call” and so during one of my other hours my friends and I decided to call it back and I kept getting the same thing, your call can not be completed as dialed and I was scared and then I found out that if you call it back it will charge a lot of money to your cell phone bill and I called it about 10 times before I knew that so I am so scared for what is going to happen to me!

June 27, 2010 at 1:21 am
(188) courtney says:

i just recently got a call from 9999999999 at 12;00 and i picked up they said hello courtney i had no clue who it was, i asked who is this? they said, i see you. in this deep boldgy voice it sounded like a morffed voice so i couldnt descize who it was..i started crying only being 13 and i was freaked when i read the phone call of death, they told me they were watching me, and at the time i was wearing a hat, they said take the hat off courtney and look out the window. i ran to my room and sat in the corner with my windows closed. all the sudden my dogs started barking at the front door but i never left my spot. so far i havent had anything else weired happen…

July 25, 2010 at 7:57 pm
(189) Jenna says:

Dude I’m 14 and don’t use blockbuster. I keep getting calls from tht number every couple of days, i never answer it. I dont know whats its about bt i dot wanna find out.

August 4, 2010 at 12:38 pm
(190) Andrea says:

This number was shown on an automated political call asking for my vote. That is not going to happen. Any candidate who uses such tactics will never get my vote.

August 10, 2010 at 11:16 pm
(191) Sachin says:

its too much
hahahahha
i didnt see this type of no. and no one says me that i got a call from the same no.
everyone says here and there call came in red color form the 9 digits no.

September 1, 2010 at 8:09 am
(192) Karanja says:

This is hoax. Nothing like this. Since yesterday it has been the talk in Kenya. They say once u receive the call, u die. Crap.

September 1, 2010 at 9:08 am
(193) BIKO MWANGI says:

THIS MAY BE TRUE BUT NOT TOO REAL–THOUGH ITS GOOD TO LISTEN AND THEN REASON BEFORE ACTING- ITS BEEN IN KENYA ALL DAY LONG–I GOT THE CALL THREE TIMES AND MY PHONE EXPLODED IN THE SECOND CALL- I NEVER PICKED IT THERE AFTER- TAKE HEED THIS ARE THE END TIMES

BIKO

September 16, 2010 at 1:39 pm
(194) Justin says:

So, I’ve known about just 999-9999 it gives a weird tone when dialed and beeps afterwords for about one minute and just stops. But I googled it and got this…So I just called 999-999-9999 and a voice told me to enter my phone number then press pound, then went on to say to enter my pin, that is where I hung up haha it didn’t say what it was for or anything

October 31, 2010 at 3:42 pm
(195) suzanna says:

hi kids
ITS HALLOWEEN
AND FOR THE FIRST TIME WE GOT THE MYSTERY 999 999 9999 CALL
WE COULD HEAR IT AND i HAVE IT ON my machine
it is a mans voice and my sone said it is a prank
anyone with a computer can do this

sometimes it is just random
but never the less its halloweeeeeen
will put on youtube later

January 16, 2011 at 5:15 am
(196) shivam says:

i got a call from this number and i answerd there was ghost sound in the background after some time my nokia n8 got red screen and it was balsted!!!!!!!!!!!

December 31, 2010 at 1:44 am
(197) Tyler says:

i got this number and it was an ipod calling me.. :/

January 22, 2011 at 10:32 pm
(198) Knorr says:

I just got a call from the same number but it turend out that it was one of my friends calling from his ipod touch weird because all of us got called by this number but they were all diffrent reassons and people.

February 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm
(199) someone says:

When I woke up this morning I saw my iphone had 4 missed calls and a message by this “death number”. The message was “crow. woo. hoo. hoo. hoo. hoo.”. I’m absolutely perplexed.

February 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm
(200) nuggetslover98 says:

I got a call a few days back and I looked down at my phone right when it said I had a missed call. It was the number. I had a voicemail so I checked it and it was a girl and she sounded sad. She said my name and told me to text her. What the heck? I later found out who it was after I unmasked her voice. She was a girl who was mean to me in school. Just prank calls. That is all.

February 17, 2011 at 2:42 pm
(201) hana says:

ok i got a call from this 999-999-9999 and didn’t answer and i freaked out cause i never see like this number so i googled it so is this really true its call of death???

March 2, 2011 at 8:48 pm
(202) leana says:

oh my god, i was just looking at this website and went of to bed and at 8:30 or so, and my phone rang, saying, well nothing, just buzzing sort of noises for about half a minute and i checked the number and it was just tones ang tones of 9s and well, after that i screamed and hung up.

March 5, 2011 at 9:43 pm
(203) Lisa says:

I jus got a phone call earlier today and i answered it and nobody didnt say anything then they called me again at 9:29pm and i didnt answered it…so i called the number back n it was the police…smh itz a prank

March 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm
(204) Andi says:

THEY ALREADY SAID IT WAS FAKE, but for those who got the call and lost someone, i am very sorry, i lost my sister but didn’t get the call, so i understand about loss.

March 25, 2011 at 1:14 am
(205) Adam says:

Funny. I have a free texting app on my ipod touch and it has free calls. When I call out from it, it says (999) 999-9999.

April 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm
(206) Daniel says:

I got the call, and then i answered, no one was there, so i called back it was something for verizon…

April 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm
(207) Anon says:

I got this call about a month ago. I started researching it ever since. I just… I just can’t get it out of my mind, 9′s replaying and shaping themselves in my head over and over again. That sound, that came out of the phone…. That sharp ringing high pitched noise……. I can’t sleep at night. Am I going crazy? Well I don’t know, you tell me if I’m going crazy. Sometimes I see flashing lights, out of nowhere, and then everything goes dark. I can only hear them, and see them when I’m all alone. They don’t want anyone to else to know. We’ve all been chosen, so be ready… Like I said, I’ve been researching, and we aren’t the only ones. There are others, deep in the dark pits of the internet, who are like me. INSANE. Ohhhhh no it’s happening again…….. If you all don’t receive another message from me again, you will all know that it is almost our time. Cheers, fellows, until we all meet face to face.

May 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm
(208) DICK says:

You a crazy sum bitch aint you???

May 2, 2011 at 7:09 pm
(209) ---TLH--- says:

This is all BS and the guy directly above me is crazy as hell, what a loser…

May 10, 2011 at 4:11 pm
(210) amber says:

this number 999-999-9999 has call me about four times a night for the last month i realized i had a voice mail for the number so i listened to it.. and abstract voice said god cant save you now. i have been really scared and really dont know what to do about it.

May 12, 2011 at 6:47 am
(211) Allan says:

Yesterday (11-5-2011) at around 7.45 pm baby was playing with allan’s mom’s mobile and the Mobile started ringing. display was showing “UNKNOWN”, we thought baby might have dialed some no and the person called back so to say sorry, I gave mobile to Allan and told him to reply.

As he answred the call someone started very slowly “Radhe Radhe teri MAUT HOGI”. Allan was stunt twice he heard it and immediately shut the phone and through on bed.

When I asked him waht happenned who was it, he was little frightenned and was unable to answer. Repeatedly asking him, he replied, I got the death call. The frequency was so high I m not able to say anything. My head is turning round and paining.

I was shocked we tried to control Allan. By grace of GOD he was OK but he again replied it was very high frequency call and if I ‘d have not cut it immedeately then might be like a magnet i ‘d have struck on my ears and don’t kbnow what wold have happened.

Allan is freightened, as few days before on TV there was news about these kind of death calls that whoever receives these type of call dies within a week.

I took Allan to Cross for praying immediately. Now he is better but he says yet he has that effect on his brain and also he is feeling unsecure that yet only one day has passed, we have to check till one week.

PLEASE HELP ME FOR IT. I NEED HELP IN THESE REGARDS TO SAVE MY HUBBY. PLEASE ANYONE CAN GIVE MORE DETAILS.

Is is not a joke as ALLAN really received such call. I am worried, praying every time.

Please HELP.

GOD PLEASE GIVE US STRENGTH TO OVERCOME THIS.

May 14, 2011 at 12:34 am
(212) urg says:

Called this today. just the message – your call cannot be completed as dialed. no calls yet. will report back soon.

June 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm
(213) Frustrated! says:

It looks like our old friend 999-999-9999 is at it again. I just received a call from this number. It was a woman’s voice recording claiming to be from Summit Community Bank. (I do not bank with SCB) She informed me that my debit card had been frozen and th at I needed to enter my 16 digit card number for my card to be unlocked. Of course, we all know not to enter our card information for anyone. It’s frustrating that we can not do anything to prevent such scams from taking place. How do they get our cell phone numbers? Is there a way to make cell phone numbers private? I know you can block them from telemarketers, but that doesn’t stop the scam calls from coming through.

July 1, 2011 at 10:28 pm
(214) Maite says:

I just noticed I got this call a while ago on my new phone….It said I picked up but I don’t remember what it was….I think it was a company or a bank but Im only 13&I don’t have a bank account?But this happened months ago.At like 8:30 at night.&Ik still alive

July 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm
(215) Kygon says:

YoUr AlL StUpId.

July 22, 2011 at 1:23 am
(216) Gem says:

I am scared i am going to get a call from this number cause i think u r ment to answer and u get cursed or u get followed by something my advice is if that number comes up don’t answer it or some thing could happen like it sounds sceary.

July 29, 2011 at 10:49 am
(217) b.smith says:

THIS NUMBER KEEPS CALLING MY 13 YEAR OLD GRANDSON DAY AND NIGHT..WE DO NOT HAVE A BLOCKBUSTER IN OUR TOWN..WE DO NOT ORDER ONLINE..WE DO NOT OWE BANK OF AMERICA.WE ARE NOT BEHIND ON OUR BILLS SO DON’T NEED A COLLECTION COMPANY….GO FIGURE……

August 1, 2011 at 12:56 am
(218) Cal says:

Got the Calll this morning 999-999-9999 Answred it noo one there. Called it back with out showing my # 2 hours later my phone started freezing up. Not able to get it to qork right. Pullwd thw battery out renslalled it. Re started the phone 4 or 5 times. Thought it was ruined. Finallylp ans running. Dont answer that number! I put in call reject…they have tried 2 times in a row. Now nothing. Hacker Spam sucking Fagot Creeps….

August 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(219) Alis says:

after getting a call just now from a 999-999-9999 # i naturally google’d it b/c it looked odd. found this article and had a near panic attack for 5 minutes.. listened to the voice mail, it was just FedEx returning my call. it seems many companies are using this # for customer service. try not to panic people lol

August 10, 2011 at 10:06 am
(220) Kenny Scott says:

I got called by this number and when i answered it was a loud static noise for 5 minutes then music. this number calls me every 7-8 minutes!

September 16, 2011 at 9:23 pm
(221) Breanna says:

so i didn’t read all of the comments because there are a whole lot, but I just got a call from the this number and got on google to look it up. As soon as I got to the blockbuster part I got the voicemail that was left and it was planned parenthood to remind me to get my shot on monday so I believe that it’s just for companies that don’t want their number showing up.

October 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm
(222) Robert says:

I am not getting calls, but empty text messages instead. Every twelve hours at 11:03 (AM or PM) I get an empty text from 999-999-9999. I tried adding the number to my blocked text list, but I am still getting the messages. I am very annoyed. I am waiting for a reply from my service provider regarding this annoyance.

November 8, 2011 at 2:50 pm
(223) Jon says:

Just got my first 999999999 call. Not voodoo, not voices from the dead. Relax people, its 100% from the living and annoying… Just another way illegal sales call (even if your on do not call list) or shifty collection agency is blocking their number.

No caller on the other side? These guys call up to 3 numbers at the same time. Whoever pics up first gets the annoying sales pitch. The rest get silence…..

November 22, 2011 at 11:41 pm
(224) Chit says:

I call this ph number….but not reply….how call this number…..because i want to wish this number……help me..he he….:>

December 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm
(225) Disasterman says:

Be careful! Some people don’t know, but they possess a spiritual power that is a magnet spirits. Some of those spirits may try to contact those by having their cellphone ring in unison to those of a video, movie or scene they are watching. If that happens, don’t say your name when answering to it. If you do, you will be cursed to die in 24 hours.

December 23, 2011 at 6:54 pm
(226) Steve says:

My wife got the same thing 3 times in a row and when they finally left a message it was from her aunt in Canada, so that might be the reason.

January 4, 2012 at 10:39 pm
(227) none of your business says:

ohk im like 15 nd i got a call from an unknown person a while back… nd it was silent for a while then music for 15 minutes straight then a worried hello from a woman… i was like WTF this is wierd nd we retraced the number after we unlocked it.. the number was shown as this 999-999-9999 but if u crack it its shown as a dif number so dw ppl its an acctual person.. :P

January 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm
(228) Non-idiot says:

Oh my god. People are so stupid and gullible nowadays. Nothing bad is going to happen to you if you answer a call from 999-999-9999. It’s either some sort of debt collection agency or someone pranking you using caller ID spoofing. Maybe if you actually answer it, you can see what they want, ever think of that?! What a concept! And no, in the US there is no such area code as 999, so it is not a real number. No need trying to call it because it doesn’t exist, your carrier will just give you an error message. Why are people so stupid nowadays that they are afraid of a phone call?

February 5, 2012 at 5:20 am
(229) IxOrA says:

actually whos no. is 999-999-9999 anyway??? most of you guys believe in these stuffs??? u guys are mad….abt this no. is there anything strange actually goin on? i say u all r mad!!!!!♥

February 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm
(230) Lumbo the ? says:

Peanut Butter Sex history month oh yeah!

February 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm
(231) Hazel says:

Ok so i just had a call from blockbuster and it says i have a missed payment when i am not even a blockbuster customer and also i called the number back and it came up frm anyhogher number..!? Also didnt they say that ..blockbuster was closed down in all of the united states…!! Im very scared….=/ i hear banging outside my house i very scared …!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 17, 2012 at 2:31 am
(232) Garlic Girl says:

BE ADVISED Santa Clara County (in California) law enforcement uses the (999) 999-9999 number to send “all calls” in emergencies.

Just got four calls after 11 PM – one on my cell (I answered but hung up quickly thinking it was a prank), two on my land line (ignored first, answered second one, got recording about missing child in my area) and husband got one on his cell, which he answered and got the same recording about missing child.

The 9′s number, as you’ve already figured out if you’ve read all the posts here, is a masking number for both scammers and legitimate business and law enforcement people.

:-)

May 19, 2012 at 9:40 pm
(233) Nicole says:

999-999-9999 is also what will show up in your mobile message folder on a cell phone if a Telus user sends you a text message through their email or via the Telus mobility website.

May 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm
(234) CindyLou says:

Just got a 999-999-9999 call – hit the decline button and immediately deleted. After reading some of the comments, maybe next time, if there is a next time, I will answer it just to see who is calling.

June 9, 2012 at 1:35 pm
(235) Private says:

Dudes, its either a calling card as it is designed as a switch, or it is a spoof for a telemarketer, or it is coming from the operator switch.

The switch is the true beginning of a phone call, if you buy a PBX, your the switch, the calls show what you want them to, depending on the programming.

Some of your calls were not exactly the same, that is because they came from several different makers. Too much I think, to explain, go look up what a switch is in phreaking articles.

We used to call into the operator and get them to make a call out, in the old days, so that when the call went though eventually to whoever we were calling it would show as all 999999999 or sometimes as all 0000000 because.

Ok, too much to get into but basically it is just someone that has a PBX or it is the operator and the switch is not been programmed either for a reason or totally accidentally (happens accidentally on calling cards alot, or done specifically by telemarketers, or a person that needs call someone else, without disclosing themselves and does not want to do it via a pay service as such at the end of the day is not really anon is it… so they set it up themselves….

Don t be silly, thinking your about to die because you got a phone call, you should be ashamed of yourself, I hope none of you folks are working in any jobs that entail caring for others… that is the only scary think that could hurt anyones life that I can find here…

June 22, 2012 at 1:26 pm
(236) nick says:

I just received a call from this same number I didnt answer it cause I thought it was weird they left me a voicemail so I checked it and it started ringing and some lady picked up the phone and said hello I thought that was kinda creepy they are saying on here that it could be blockbuster but I dont even have a blockbuster account if they call back I am going to answer it and see what is up with it

July 13, 2012 at 1:50 pm
(237) Anonymous says:

I think I just got the call a few minutes ago. I have brodband brighthouse and when someone calls and I’m watching TV it comes up on the screen. It had some weird ID name like V238 some mashed up numbers. (Anyone get that too?) plus I’ve heard were having some terrorist virus in Indiana, so maybe that persons making a move again in Indiana because of the terrorists…. these people are just too bored lol

July 16, 2012 at 5:25 pm
(238) Guy says:

I… I think you guys should all read comment 207… Scary stuff right there. I think he’s legit.

August 3, 2012 at 5:56 pm
(239) Doctor says:

I got this call several days ago. I recorded a strange language the second time it happened. I asked an old college professor if he could help me translate it and he discovered that it was an old form of Latin that has not been used for hundreds of years. The translation read, “Do not have this translated or you will be visited by three ghosts.”

Well, sure enough, I got the visits. The last ghost told me that I would start passing gas uncontrollably but only in public beginning the moment he left. I strained and strained and tried to pass gas and nearly blew a gasket, but nothing happened in the lonely confines of my bedroom. That next day, while riding the bus, I started floating air biscuits that peeled the paint from the interior of the bus. I was not going to say anything but it was clear where the butt burps were originating. Once off the bus and in a partners meeting, it started again. People were crying and so was I as I lamented my horrible condition. I am now unemployed and exploring all types of surgery to correct this.

Lock up your wife, your kids, but whatever you do, do not answer a phone call from 999-999-9999!

August 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm
(240) Kodie says:

i really dont want to try this but anyways its not true these ‘people’ say that it is to you just so they can get the scare out of you so yeah the bloody mary thing is a myth the slender man which i am kinda getting abit ‘believing’ to it but yeah they are all URBAN LEGENDS OR MYTHS!!!!!

August 13, 2012 at 1:24 pm
(241) Indian says:

What rubbish going on…..!! this number belongs to Managing director of “Vodafone Essar group” in India. This Mobile service provider is “Vodafone india”. This is not any ghost number

August 14, 2012 at 10:36 am
(242) Vagif says:

Ok I’m scared I got this and I hope I don’t die the movie caused it I. So scared so don’t watch it EVER!

August 21, 2012 at 3:29 am
(243) Nanalovato says:

Haha b***hes i have no mobile

August 29, 2012 at 12:01 pm
(244) Rebecca says:

It’s Verizon wireless wanting to get paid….trying to be tricky…

August 31, 2012 at 10:51 pm
(245) Tigger says:

Its Herman Cain with his 999-999-9999 plan

October 23, 2012 at 8:59 am
(246) Laura Jones says:

In the UK 999 is the number for the emergency services, so we can’t call any number longer than 999 here as it will go through to the emergency services after 3 9s are dialled. I have never had a call from this number, but about a decade ago I was able to dial 6 constantly on my landline and get patched into other people’s conversations and listen in, much fun for my teenage self was had :)

December 4, 2012 at 7:41 am
(247) sera says:

it’s several years later………..do you want the right number?

January 27, 2013 at 9:54 pm
(248) Doug says:

Get a grip!

January 29, 2013 at 7:52 pm
(249) Xena says:

EVEN STRANGER —-
my cordless LANDLINE will randomly start to dial out “99999″ ON ITS OWN!!!!!! With no one anywhere near it!

Has been doing that for years. Even after battery replacements.

What’s that all about?!

February 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm
(250) jasmine says:

so the last few days ive gotten 6 text messages from (999)999-9999 i think its kinda creepy! it creeps me out to the point i wanna switch my number.should i though?

February 9, 2013 at 11:08 pm
(251) linda says:

call your service provider and have them put a block on that number. I’ve gotten 20 text messages and they all are in symbols and letters. Kinda like in code. It is wierd.

February 17, 2013 at 12:39 pm
(252) Michael says:

I just called 999-999-9999 no answer

March 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm
(253) marie says:

got a call while at work today.(3-15-13)
i didnt answer as i was a bit busy. all day i wondered who it was when i got home i seached the number(google)
as i read the comments on this site guess what(ring ring ring)
i answered and it was a reminder from planned parent hood for a physical lmfao…

March 20, 2013 at 7:04 pm
(254) Sean says:

My girlfriend got a call from the 999 999 9999 number the other day, at 0200 AM. The caller left a message, which said he had been watching her and had seen her and followed her when she went to work late at night a couple of times. He said that he knew me and that he knew that I wasn’t really into my girlfriend. WTF?

March 25, 2013 at 11:04 am
(255) Amanda says:

I’ve just had a call from this number and I didn’t answer it. Started googling and read some of the comments on hear. All seem different so I played the voice mail. It was an Amber alert for the San Jose area in CA. I had already received a text message and email regarding it.
So it’s not always sinister.

March 25, 2013 at 11:11 am
(256) MG says:

Just got a call on my cell from (999) 999-9999. Didn’t answer but they did leave a message. It’s an Amber Alert. I’m in California & there is a missing child. I’m on the call/text list to receive these notices. So, not spam – actually something I did opt-in to get.

March 25, 2013 at 5:46 pm
(257) RayK says:

I also live in San Jose, CA and received a call on my cell phone this morning from (999) 999-9999. I immediately assumed it to be a spoofed Caller ID so I let it go to voicemail. Checked it later and it turned out to be the Amber alert as previously mentioned. I had signed up for the service Oct. 2009 and I believe this is the first time I’ve been called. Info about this service is here:

April 11, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(258) amy says:

i rang the number out of curiosity and it began to ring, so i hung up as i didnt know what the charges were for ringing the number. about 2 hours or so later i went down to the salon, went on the sunbed for 12 minutes but had to come off early at 11 minutes as my heart was beating like mad and couldn’t stand it anymore, i got up and couldn’t see properly, all i could see was mad colours like when your a kid and press your eyes in really hard. i was dizzy and collapsed but it was like i was like half conscious and still couldn’t see properly, i got up and collapsed again and eventually the lady in the salon unlocked the door and called an ambulance, they checked me over and think its just heat stroke but i think its a coincidence that i called this ‘number of death’ the same morning?especially because i use sunbeds regularly and haven’t had an reaction like that before. This all happened about 4 hours ago and im fine now but just thought id say.

April 18, 2013 at 4:29 am
(259) des says:

I always check out odd phone numbers, I get regular calls from +1(1)(21), I cannot find anything out about this number, is there anyone out there who can help? Des, Manchester, England.

July 6, 2013 at 1:03 pm
(260) MidWestGal says:

7/6/2013 11:55 a.m. Just received a call from 999-999-9999 on my home phone line. Answered on the fourth ring and heard click like someone hung up on me. Happens all the time with tele-marketers. I even had bill collectors calling me about people who used to live down the block.

July 12, 2013 at 2:12 pm
(261) Marjorie says:

If the number and person attached to it are not programmed into my phone, I will not answer. If they won’t leave a message on my answering machine, the call is not important anyway. My curiosity got over the necessity to know who is calling a long time ago !

July 30, 2013 at 2:23 pm
(262) Dwayne says:

I did not get a call but i recieved 45 messages in a row sayin “your life is now in my hands” WTF is thi. i just got my phone litterally 7 days ago, i should not have creditors calling me.

August 14, 2013 at 9:18 pm
(263) Bet says:

Well I just got this call myself only the guy was from another country and could barely understand him. He said my computer was sending out hacking emails. I assured him it was not. He kept talking and asked if I was sitting in front of my computer and if it was on. Then he said to hit the key with the flags on it and the letter R at the same time and tell him what I saw. I didn’t do as he asked but told him I didn’t see anything. He kept telling me to hit those buttons and I kept telling him I wasn’t seeing anything. I could tell he was getting pissed. He finally hung up. LOL

September 6, 2013 at 3:34 pm
(264) Monica says:

Got a call from this number a while ago & after listening to the voicemail it’s a recorded message from Mary Kay. :-)

September 19, 2013 at 7:36 pm
(265) Shawn J says:

I just received a call from this number at 4:58 central and the message and the message was an automated answering service that gave me like three options. It said something like ” This is your automated answering service, you have a new private message. If you would like to archive this message press 1 and enter pin, if you would like to hear this message press 2 enter pin, and if you would like to archive this message and turn off automated answering press 3″ I pressed 1 and entered a random 4 digit number and it prompted me to enter a correct pin. I hung up and got a call back at at 5:16 p.m. cen and listend again and chose option 3. I was wanted to see what would happen if I call back so I did and got the this is not a valid number!

September 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm
(266) Camo says:

I got call myself 19999999999 and after I said the girl on the phone ask ‘Is this (my full name)’ then it sounded like it hung up. That was it. It was kinda weird.

September 29, 2013 at 6:06 pm
(267) Cosmo the seedrian says:

Like a year ago My mom got a call.The ID looked like a Chinese or Japan word.My mom answered it and there was an eerie sound like a screech.Then it hung up.Later at midnight it rang on her phone again.I quickly got up and answerd it and again the screech.Before they hung up I yelled a BAD WORD at them then in a male and female voice said D.I.E SPELLES DIE!!!!I said Yeah what am I a 1st grader then the kept on saying some kind of Chant then they hung up.

October 10, 2013 at 8:20 pm
(268) cres says:

I made a political comment about radical racist rightists on a blog. The next day, my mobile phone display was changed from a photo of my lovely young daughter to that of a frightening skeleton with a creepy background. Then its alarm clock kept going almost every 5 minutes. I downloaded a anti-virus app and debugged it. The lengths some people will go because they are fanatics.

November 7, 2013 at 2:12 pm
(269) daniel says:

My moms dad got a call from that nummber.he had cancer and was in bad health.after that call the next day he died no joke.

November 12, 2013 at 2:10 am
(270) Sandie says:

Dear Sir
i am from india, Can u tell me how can i hide my caller id
whether it temporarily or permanently.
please reply me on my email id

November 16, 2013 at 1:07 pm
(271) ashley says:

hi, this number has been texting me a few times a day for the last 3 days saying: “,,·è,€\ 13ƒƒcK£K{q{³s!s»skk™kk+››;(|$oµ¤$dÃ’*k#3‹;:‹Â±Â£ÂªÃBølŒHÃY‰Ã©±™Â±‰™Â¡Â±z¢Â)ê‚bjp4 Tp~ô@,4¼C££Ãy{kk›”

I dont no what it says or why I get these weird texts so I called it about 5 mins ago an it said: “the number or code you have dialed is incorrect.” after it rings like 3 or 4 times, what is with this number?! seriously.

November 19, 2013 at 9:06 am
(272) Obviously the smart one here says:

Just block the number from calling your phone if your on mobile (with a smartphone), and you can even block texts from the number. Takes less than a minute to do.

You can also have your phone company block the number from calling your landline phone as well.

It’s not brain surgery people. Use your heads. If a number is bothering you, BLOCK IT and your problem is solved.

November 22, 2013 at 9:49 am
(273) Frank says:

My sister was killed in a car accident a year and a half ago, I just checked her old cell phone, it was the last she called, I’m freaking out

November 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm
(274) olivia marie says:

I didnt get the phone call.but i touchd my phone and those same numbers dialed on its own…before i could realize my fingers wernt moving..it text those numbers to the same number that dialed on its own…9..and one minute later i got a voicemessage on my phone..my phone hadnt even rung…i listend to my voice message and i heard two different voices..first voice sound like an american accent” hey yo u got a message”…the second voice sound like an african accent” who I satan”…that was it..two sentences then it hung up! i said my prayers and started going to bible study worship service..out reach ministries.choir rehearsals..etc….

January 15, 2014 at 8:10 am
(275) RGentry says:

My new Android LG phone died so I just received the new one – now I’ve received six (6) TEXTS in some foreign language and the sending phone number is (999) 999-9999. This is 2 per day for the third day now. Since Virgin Mobile doesn’t block numbers I guess I’ll have to have my cell number changed. This is no fun – I was just getting used to the new number.

January 15, 2014 at 1:24 pm
(276) j says:

i got 907-999-9999 call. It was 911 calling saying i had called them and hung up. I had called them accidently how i did when phone was in pocket I dont know. lol

January 15, 2014 at 10:36 pm
(277) mac says:

if i don’t recognize a # i let it ring. who cares? here’s my message to callers:

if i know you, i’ll get back to you.
if i don’t, we’re just wasting time.

i’d be more concerned about my $ and phishing than i am about spoox.
folks, those who are dead, stay dead and furthermore, if they have some place to go it’s more interesting than here and they don’t care what goes on here.
stop watching those movies with actors with dog feces spread on them.
there are no living dead. watch a ball game or a good debate or a fashion show or maybe a nature show. again, there are no living dead.

February 8, 2014 at 11:14 am
(278) Michael says:

I just got a call from 999-999-9999, I answered, they said
This is “Beta Secure” It’s about your computer!” so I just hung up.

February 13, 2014 at 2:12 pm
(279) lynn says:

BEEN GETTING CALLS FROM THAT NUMBER FOR A WHILE I ANSWERED IT TODAY AND SOME ASIAN MAN SAID HE WAS CALLING ABOUT MY INTELL COMPUTER ERRORS I TOLD HIM I DIDNT HAVE A COMPUTER AND HE KEPT TELLING ME OVER AND OVER NOT TO LIE TO HIM, TOLD HIM I WAS BLOCKING HIM AND HUNG UP.AND BLOCKED HIM,

February 22, 2014 at 12:03 am
(280) Annoyed says:

I just bought a phone from Boost mobile 3 days ago (a virgin mobile phone) and I’ve already received several text messages from this 999 999 9999 number. No phone calls, but it’s been about 7 messages a day so far. And i don’t have unlimited texts. Some are even a couple times in a row. Every message is just a bunch of question marks filling the whole page. I blocked it, and the messages continue to still come. I’m thinking virgin mobile doesn’t let u block numbers? I guess i’m just going to have to change my number…Unfortunately…

February 27, 2014 at 4:13 pm
(281) Natalie says:

Please know that I was actually very scared by seeing this number appear today on our phone several times suddenly. My Digitone blocked it from making more than one ring, but it just kept calling and calling. It may be only one ring, but that is still incredibly annoying. I am dealing with cancer right now, and have to answer my phone while waiting for test results, etc. When I googled and saw that this is known as the phone number of death, with urban legends attached, I became sick to my stomach and thought it was a sign that I am not going to make it. I am only taking the time to weigh in here, as I know that others in my situation may receive a call like this and become genuinely frightened.

Something told me to pick it up the 5th time that they called me today because it was bothering me and eating at me. It turned out to be CVS Caremark telling me that a particular special prescription we were waiting on for approval, had been in fact approved. It came in as 999-999-9999, which scared the hell out of me. Please know that it may not always be CVS for you, but obviously more and more legitimate companies are using robots, which is why they don’t have numbers or area codes we recognize, and using this number was in bad taste actually all things considered. It could be the bad guys (solicitors or even bill collectors), but in my case, it was CVS, which tells me that the superstition here is just that……..

Hope this helps someone who got all caught up in this as I did.

March 31, 2014 at 8:36 am
(282) fgib says:

you are all liars! it’s not true! you’re on a urban legand site for god sakes!

April 7, 2014 at 7:56 pm
(283) Fools advcate says:

Most of the coments here refer to a 10(ten)didgit number(composed of all 9s). The one I refer to is only nine 9s. And that, of itself, is odd. Yes, I did try calling it back. Yes, I got the ms that I wasn’t authorised to call that number. So, I called my carier. Each time I stated the number. My call was dropped. Five times in fact.
My carier is sprint. That is still partly owned by google(gagging). And they are in bed, with the F.B.I.. Now I have a clean reacord. And I keep it clean. But I would suspect, that either google, or “unacle(sham)sam.has something to do with that number at times. If any one who isn’t a nut, drunk, or drug user. Has any idea as whome it is. Drop me a line. Foolsadvote329@gmail.com(I can always change that email. If cranks use it.