1. News & Issues

Discuss in my forum

Straight from my inbox, here's the hottest new home remedy for the pain and swelling of a bee sting: tape a penny over the site for 15 minutes. The pain will go away immediately. By the next day, so will the redness and swelling. They say it's the copper in the penny that does the trick. Who "they" are, we have no way of knowing, nor does science support their claims. Read more...

Comments

April 13, 2007 at 7:16 am
(1) Lorinda says:

The ancient practice of putting mud on a bee sting has its merits. It actually works. Leaving the mud on the sting until it dries and flakes off always made the sting and its pain disappear entirely. I assume the drying process draws the poison out of the skin. Mud is not always a desirable remedy, therefore I now use a paste made of baking soda and water. I am sure that any powder substitute will work as well. Leave the paste on the sting until it dries and flakes off and the sting will be gone. By chance if it is not gone, reapply the paste- it has never failed.

April 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm
(2) Henry says:

the baking soda helps because the bee venom has an acidic reaction. baking soda, being a base, helps to neutralize the acidic reaction of the bee venom. this helps to reduce the irritation, but persons with severe allergies (known or unknown) will receive no relief, and need immediate treatment.

April 17, 2007 at 2:19 am
(3) Lisa says:

Break open a cigarette, chew up the tobacco so it’s good and wet and put it on the sting, it pulls out the venom, and cuts down on the stinging. Learned it at camp.

May 28, 2007 at 4:41 pm
(4) TRB says:

Remedy for bee sting by using tobaco does work if you dont have anything else while out in woods or fishing. Also a dab of ammounia will do even better

June 11, 2007 at 9:19 pm
(5) Frank says:

I put my dogs ashes over my bee stings

July 7, 2007 at 3:06 pm
(6) Paul says:

My girlfriend just got bit by a bee. She remembered getting an email with the same story about the woman getting bit etc… So, we tried it. We put a penny on the sting immediately following the sting. It’s been about 30 minutes and when we looked…no visual evidence of a sting…no redness, no swelling, nothing. I dont know why, I dont care why, but it works!!

August 15, 2009 at 11:59 pm
(7) RD says:

I was stung by a yellow jack approx 48 hrs ago. The itching is unbarable!!! My are is red, swollen and hot in a much larger area then wher stung…. Please help me????

December 16, 2012 at 12:25 pm
(8) frank says:

When you get stung from a bee.
Put a copper penny on the sting.
The penny needs to be older one.
The newer pennies do not have as much copper.
Older pennies are made of copper.
I try to save as many older pennies that are at least in the early 1970 s as I can.
I keep at least three pennies tapped in my wallet all the time in the summer.
All you do is hold the penny on the spot where the sting is for a couple minutes then the pain will be gone.

Leave a Comment


Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.