1. News & Issues

David Emery

Monster Pig vs. Hogzilla

By May 25, 2007

The website of the hour is MonsterPig.com, which tells the story of 11-year-old Jamison Stone of Alabama, who allegedly bagged a 1,051-pound, 9-foot-long wild hog with a .50 caliber pistol.

"If the claims are accurate," says the Associated Press — playing it safe by prefacing its coverage with a big, fat "if" — that would make Stone's monster pig even bigger and heftier than the legendary "Hogzilla," the massive porker felled three years ago in Georgia (and soon to be the subject of a major motion picture). Though the hunter who killed Hogzilla claimed the behemoth weighed over 1,000 pounds and measured 12 feet from snout to tail, a postmortem conducted by National Geographic determined it was actually no more than about 7 1/2 feet long and weighed 800 pounds at most.

"Monster pig" skeptics — several of whom have already contacted me to vent their incredulity — note that in the widely-circulated photograph showing Jamison Stone crouched behind the carcass of his monster pig, the perspective could have easily been fudged to make the beast appear larger than it really was. It's too late to call in the National Geographic folks, unfortunately, because Jamison's father has already sent the head to a taxidermist for mounting and the rest has been ground up for pork sausage.

POLL: Monster Pig - Is it real or fake?
1) Real. 2) Fake. 3) Can't decide.

Monster Pig Updates:

Monster Pig wasn't really a feral hog, say former owners
Rhonda and Phil Blissitt of Fruithurst, Alabama say the hog killed by Jamison Stone on May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation hunting preserve was raised on their farm from the age of six weeks and went by the name of Fred. (Anniston Star)

Wildlife officials say hunt was legal
"A lot of people might have issues with the thing, but there were no laws broken," says Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division enforcement chief Allan Andress. (Associated Press)

Monster Pig skull offered as proof story is true
Bleached skull was returned to Jamison Stone by taxidermist Jerry Cunningham, who says "I know it was a 1,000-pound hog. It was that big. No doubt." (NBC News)

Fox News interview with Jamison Stone and dad
"Well, I'll tell you," says Mike Stone, "there has been a lot to do made about those pictures. The pictures are untouched pictures. They are the pictures that we took. The pictures are as they were. There was nothing done to those pictures at all." (Fox News)

Monster Pig photo a hoax, says "Stinky Journalism" website
"Evidence collected by Stinky Journalism indicates that the photos, which ran on televisions and newspapers throughout the world, are not the straightforward snapshots they seem — but fakes." (StinkyJournalism.org)

Backstory:
Legend Grows Around 'Hogzilla' - Associated Press
The Mystery of Hogzilla Solved - ABC News
Legendary Hogzilla to Be Portrayed in Horror Flick - USA Today
Son of Hogzilla - Netlore Archive

Comments

May 27, 2007 at 5:19 am
(1) Sue Bilstein says:

All three photos on http://www.monsterpig.com – boy and pig, boy and father with pig hanging up, three people with pig – have been posed with the people quite some distance behind the pig, to make it look bigger.

May 27, 2007 at 9:53 am
(2) Hogwash says:

The picture is real, but the hog was raised on a farm and fattened up. It was as tame as a dog and amounts to shooting Wilbur in a back yard pen.

May 27, 2007 at 10:00 am
(3) Iain MacMillan says:

Sue’s right

May 27, 2007 at 6:48 pm
(4) Gerald McClintock says:

“perspective” obviously is in play, but it is huge.It’s not an aberation. It looks like a domestic hog, obviously well fed. My father sold one at over 750 lbs, not over fat, simply because he got too big for the sows, and to freshen the gene pool. Given a little more time, 1000 lbs is not suprising- just unusual.

May 27, 2007 at 10:35 pm
(5) Gina Dentata says:

why wouldn’t you stuff the whole thing, if it really was that huge…instead of just mounting the head…and the pics are definitely staged to make it look bigger than it is…camera low…people way back…if you were a hunter and shot a behemoth like that, you’d be sitting or standing on it. It’s a shame they’re using an 11-year0old in this stupid hoax…how sick is it to run a wounded animal to death for 3 hours with a pistol, when they could have put it out of it’s misery with a rifle at any time?

May 27, 2007 at 11:50 pm
(6) walter says:

if this feral (as opposed to domesticated?) animal was truly of these mythic proportions, doesn’t anyone see any sort of larger crime here? it seems more like a wonder of God’s world than reduced to either a bunch of sausage or some petty prop for this kid’s ego.

May 28, 2007 at 9:37 am
(7) Mike says:

And this boy says he is a “christian”… the shame! I think Jesus would bit** slap this kid for a while.

May 28, 2007 at 1:39 pm
(8) Mark says:

I am calling hoax. First of all, it doesn’t even look like a feral hog. Second, all the pictures look like perspective was used to make the hog look bigger. Thrid, I highly doubt an 11 yr old can handle a 350 grain bullet from a .50 caliber pistol. Fourth, hogs are not that fast runners, especially when wounded. Even an animal that size, if shot 3 times from a .50 caliber weapon would bleed to death before 3 hours or at least not be in shape to lead them on a 3 hour chase. Fifth, no one with any credibility has investigated this claim. And all you pig hugging people should shut up. Feral hogs cause farmers, ranchers, landowners, etc. huge amounts of damage each year. They are pests and should be exterminated as such. They’re in no danger of going extinct. Retards….

May 28, 2007 at 2:40 pm
(9) MDPD37 says:

While I agree that Feral Hogs are just as dangerous to our farmlands as Asian Carp are to our rivers, & streams. This is not a fake photograph. I beleive the estimates are correct about 10 feet long, & 1000 lbs seems accurate.very sharp looking tusks on it too. I do have serious doubts that the boy killed it though, or a 3 hour chase ensued.

May 28, 2007 at 2:51 pm
(10) Flynn says:

To Mark. All “these pig hugging people” and so called “retards” should shut up? Because you say so? Or what?
You expect others to listen to your rudeness while you can’t even be bothered to respect a different view from your own?
Is your mother proud of your beligerence and spite?!
Where I’m from boy your mouth would be washed out with soap!
You don’t have to agree to others opinions however at least have the grace to make your point more politely.

May 28, 2007 at 4:40 pm
(11) Bob says:

This isn’t about religion or mental capacity but rather it is about real or not real. I say hoax…. big time. Why wait all this time to let the news out? Can a 10 year old really handle a .50 caliber pistol? Doubtful, very doughtful especially 8 shots over a 3 hour chase. The only .50 caliber I ever shot was an antique elephant rifle and that was when I was 12 and nearly 6 foot tall. It knocked me over, of course I was not prepared for the kick but even so I doubt I could have fired 8 rounds.

May 28, 2007 at 4:44 pm
(12) Kara says:

Mark, feral hogs might be destructive to “us” but NO species is more destructive to the WHOLE WORLD than humans! So if being destructive is reason enough to be tortured, shot,and killed, I guess it should be legal to kill humans as well.
“Humane” and “Humanity” are supposed to be characteristics of the “Human” race and are supposed to distinguish us from the rest of the species. And before anyone gets all “defensive” and rude and nasty, this is MY opinion and I have just as much right to it as anyone else has to theirs! (My opinion just might be a bit more humane, sensitive, and heart-filled than yours, Mark. And I am VERY proud of that!)

May 28, 2007 at 5:52 pm
(13) Mark says:

haha losers, the topic is if it is a hoax or not. stop being all philosphical and whiney and give your reasons, yea or nay. i realized long ago you can’t argue with misinformed people. but its a HOAX

May 29, 2007 at 3:15 am
(14) Rob says:

“people way back”

“have been posed with the people quite some distance behind the pig, to make it look bigger.”

What the hell is wrong with you people? Are you liberals or something? One oicture the kud is leaning on the damn thing. I just heard the kid say it was a little over an hour , where did this 3 hours come from. Also it’s the Camera that is a distance away from the Hog. Are you people blind or what? Or you just like rainy on someones parade?

It’s amazing this gets so much attention aroung the world even. There is a much more relevant hoax being perpetrated everyday right in front of our eyes. It’s called the Democrat Party. I could care less about this Boy and his hog,never the less nice shootin boy.

Gee mark, “Fifth, no one with any credibility has investigated this claim.” Credibility? who made the credibility cop?

May 29, 2007 at 7:11 am
(15) Todd says:

Rob hit the nail on the head. “What the hell is wrong with you people?” This is just a child!! Why rain on his parade? The kid said, “It’s a good accomplishment!” Now everyone wants to tear him down. It’s extremly HARD and lucky to do what he did. It’s really EASY to critize and pick him apart. I’m sure everyone has done something their proud of. On the flip side anyone with half a brain can be a critic of someone elses accomplishments. As for the pictures, the pig looks like it weighs 1,500 plus pounds the way they posed. That’s what 99% of hunters and fisherman do in pictures. (The In-Fisherman pose) So I have no trouble beleiving the pig weighed in at just over 1,000 lbs. As for Mike’s comment abouy Jesus slapping the “kid”, you are a sad, pathetic man.

May 29, 2007 at 7:39 am
(16) Todd says:

One last though,, To Mark: You seem to be quite the little detective on subject matter that you seem to know little about. You can shoot an animal in the stomach multiple times and it can stay alive for 12 to 24 hours and run for miles before it dies from infection, bleeding very little. And if you or others or to weak to shoot a .50 cal. pistol, I fail to see how that is proof this kid could not shoot it 8 times over 3 hours.

May 29, 2007 at 8:35 am
(17) Kristie says:

On a side note…did a web search…seems this pig was taken off of a fenced recreational shooting facility….from a property managed for trophy animals. The facility also maintains food plots for the trophy animals. So, this pig was likely not feral or wild.
It could be real, as a pig purposefully fed and bred to be big would be found on an exotic game farm.

May 29, 2007 at 10:24 am
(18) Mark says:

thanks todd, or should i call you bozo the clown? if you shoot something with a .50 its going to do more than punch a cute little hole in the stomach so it can run away and slowly die of infection. also thank you for assuming i’m too weak to shoot a .50 pistol. you know me so well…..

Kristie shoudl be given a research award or something

May 29, 2007 at 11:38 am
(19) Bae says:

I believe its a hoax. One, why wasn’t the media called in to take photographs? Two, why was the pig cut up before any credibility could be established by an outsider?

May 29, 2007 at 2:52 pm
(20) Pacha says:

I’m a bit leery of this claim, myself; I have to wonder, with other posters, how come the pig was cut up before anyone else could verify the size? It’s far too easy to manipulate photos, anymore (think “Photoshop”)

May 29, 2007 at 3:42 pm
(21) Victoria says:

I think it’s fake and rather disgusting.

May 29, 2007 at 4:34 pm
(22) renee says:

I find the killing of such an amazing creature for fun discusting! The father and son should be ashamed, not proud!

May 29, 2007 at 4:38 pm
(23) Sheneneh Jenkins says:

Let’s see…”monster pig” is killed and Rosie is off the air.

Honey, I see a connection here!

May 29, 2007 at 5:33 pm
(24) poco says:

fake:
-He’s not leaning on the hog, leaning on his knee.
- The photos all look to me as if they were taken of the people posing and then the they were edited into the background with a hog or vica versa (very easy to do with photoshop).
- When they brought it to the scale to be weighed, none of the workers at the scalehouse were there to witness it; that says a lot in itself.
- Turned into sausage, all of it gone; again says a lot. It would be easy to freeze to show off for ahwile before it got turned into sausage.
- The fact that they have this world record setting hog and have no interest in preserving anything other then the head; says a lot.

May 29, 2007 at 6:19 pm
(25) Chad says:

Smith & Wesson lists the overall length of that pistol as 15 inches. When you compare the length of the gun to that of the pig in the picture, the pig is easily 11 gun lengths long or 11 x 15 inches = 165 inches which is 13 feet 9 inches, bigger than they are claiming and proof that this is a fake. Obviously they didn’t have enought sense to keep the scale correct. The height of the pig in gun lengths is easily 4, or 60 inches = 5 feet. If this were the correct scale, the boy is over 8 feet tall!!!! The pictures are obviously bogus and the timing makes no sense. Wouldn’t you contact the media immediately after the kill???? Why is this coming out almost a month later??? The picture of the pig being hauled out of the ditch by the tractor shows a much smaller animal.

May 29, 2007 at 7:23 pm
(26) archie says:

I have been hunting since 83, pigs and deer. If you don’t hit the pig on its vital spot, they can survive long. Heart, lungs or head shot will take them down. Pigs have thick ARMOR. And for you to get to their heart and lungs needs a lot of power and you have to hit it on right spot.

May 29, 2007 at 7:32 pm
(27) Brian says:

Agree, Agree, Agree with Chad. You have definately scaled this right. This hog is a hoax. In my opinion, I believe there could be such a thing as a 1000+ lb hog, but not feral. Feral hogs must be able to hide well, move quickly and flee from danger at the drop of a hat. While doing this it’s just not probable for a hog to gain that much weight. Feral hogs root and eat so much because they burn so many calories moving.

May 29, 2007 at 10:02 pm
(28) Gypsy says:

Hoax, hoax, hoax. I don’t know anything
about pistols, rifles, feral or non-feral pigs or raining on parades but I do know if I ever see anything like that, and before running for dear life, I am calling the police, the national guard and the local news channels. Nobody in that town owns a VIDEO CAMERA?? It’s 2007, forget the
photos. I want to see people dancing
around that beast on VIDEO.

Sorry, kid. Maybe they have a rehab for
this kind of fraud.

May 29, 2007 at 11:58 pm
(29) Different Mark says:

It looks like a big pig to me, though not as big as the claim. As for an 11yo being able to shoot a .50 cal pistol, anyone(within reason)with the proper training can do it.

May 30, 2007 at 1:47 am
(30) stegre says:

I think this page I just
made
speaks for itself….

May 30, 2007 at 6:04 am
(31) J. M. Wilson says:

I have to agree with Poco and Chad from #24 and #25.. at least two of the pictures look photo-shopped to me (the lighting is slightly off and so is the scale) And they are using enlarging angle techniques. I believe this is a farce to make money, the the Monster Pig website is full of ads for their family business..
This is the supposed photo of a real 1100lbs hog.
Note the size difference between Florida hog and Monster Pig.. if Monster pig was real, we would be talking about a pig weighing in the thousands.
And might I add that being a hunter myself, and have been since the age of four, I have a hard time believing an 11 y/o could handle the recoil to hunt/shoot accurately on a 50 cal revolver. I could see a .357, as I have a shot them myself around that age, but not a 50 cal, very unlikely.

I feel fairly confident this is a hoax.

May 30, 2007 at 6:12 am
(32) J. M. Wilson says:

Check the difference between the “main” photo and another from the auctioneer site… this is a farce.

May 30, 2007 at 9:37 am
(33) DAN says:

Mark is right and I’m so sick of you peta, animal hugging, over dramatic morons….The pic is fake and it will be proven soon but no it isn’t unlikely the kid could handle that gun, it is powerful but some people can handle the kick better than others.

May 30, 2007 at 11:18 am
(34) Larry says:

Another example that shows how baloney can come from a pig. All one has to do is look at the picture of the pig suspended from the backhoe and compare its size with that of the adult operator, keeping in mind he’s a good 8-10 feet behind the pig. The only thing “large” in this story is the size of the tale…..and probably the profits they’re making selling posters to the gullible.

May 30, 2007 at 12:45 pm
(35) Rod says:

If true, good for the kid! I bet it was a heck of a hunt. A 10 or 11 year old can most certainly handle a 50cal pistol. Feral hogs are destructive and if you’ve ever seen the damage they can do, you’d agree. Those of you who are saying “Jesus would ****slap this kid” have no clue. Get off your high horse!

May 30, 2007 at 1:15 pm
(36) Shel Stokes says:

The picture that is circulating the internet has, indeed, been edited. When you look at the picture of Jamison KNEELING behind the hog on the Lost Creek Plantation site (where the hog was shot), the hog is MUCH smaller than what the circulated picture shows.

I think it’s odd that if someone had a hog bigger than hogzilla that they wouldn’t bother contacting SOMEONE, even the DNR, to verify its size. Nope…instead…we’ll just make it into sausage and have it mounted immediately.

My judgment: Big hog…but not as big as it’s being portrayed.

May 30, 2007 at 3:09 pm
(37) Rattus says:

I am an avid hunter and understand that hunts have to be followed through with after the initial blood is let. This child likely was not proficient enough with his handgun to take on this pig in a an effective and humane manner. Also, this was a shoot, not so much a hunt. Hunting occurs in a fair chase, unfenced setting. This was a fenced preserve, shooting a feral (not wild) animal.

May 30, 2007 at 4:26 pm
(38) poophead says:

they should have kept it, add another leg,and made money as a side show attraction

May 30, 2007 at 5:17 pm
(39) Chris O'Leary says:

This photo has been bugging me, because something isn’t quite right about it. The photo makes it look like the kid is leaning on the pig, and if you use the kid for scale that puts the pig in the rhino category (e.g. 2000+ pounds rather than the stated 1000+ pounds).

I know this because I have 4 kids and have spent a lot of time at the St. Louis Zoo.

I think what’s going on is that the photographer used a trick employed by bass fishermen (who are known liars).

If you want to make a fish look bigger, take a picture of it while holding it at arms length away from your body. That will increase the perceived size by 30 to 50 percent. To get a true sense of the size of a fish, you have to hold it next to your body.

The photographer has done basically the same thing in this picture.

The kid in the picture is actually kneeling on one knee 7 to 10 feet behind the pig. However, the way the kid and the pig line up in the photo, it looks like he is leaning over the pig with his elbow on its spine. You can further this effect by shooting the scene with a telephoto lens, which will tend to compress the foreground and background of the scene.

I don’t know if this was done intentionally or not, but it’s a little suspicious.

May 30, 2007 at 5:29 pm
(40) Randy P says:

There is much controversy regarding this matter, however, as with any advertisement, any shock jock or that slip at the Super Bowl, all seem to be excellent ploys for free publicity. If you follow the link to cookersandgrills.com, you will see a picture of this boy physically over this pig, as his pistol hangs downwards.

As far as an 11 year old not knowing how to handle a .50 cal handgun, tis true many 11 year olds shouldnt be physically able to. However, have you see how “big” this kid is? If he does indeed stand 5’5, he is mighty big for 11, and thanks for some extra helpings and then some, his body mass would be enough to sustain the recoil of this weapon. That, and all rednecks have the genetic ability to use weapons right out of the hive… I mean, womb. Have you ever fired this gun? I have, and it has less recoil than a Desert Eagle. This gun has been modified, or so they say, however, the modifications of this weapon puts its total price tag close to $2,000.

High finance for a gun.

In short, I believe this to be a hoax. A publicity stunt that will definately give this small town some notice, this family some money and a laugh or 20 for those cubicle rats who really should be working.

We have a saying in the online gaming community when we mention a great accomplishment:
“Screenshot, or it didn’t happen”.
The same could be said for this, however, those screenshots are not enough to prove this accomplishment, just that folks are gullible enough to believe this without proof.

May 30, 2007 at 5:47 pm
(41) Joshua says:

I was looking closer at the image of the kid behind the hog and you can tell he is leaning on something behind the pig. Check out his left elbow. He is quite some distance behind the pig and the gentlemen’s estimation of scale with the gun barrel backs this up. Even the other pics of the pig seem much smaller. It is a big pig, but it isn’t as big as they want it to be.

May 30, 2007 at 7:38 pm
(42) JMatt says:

REAL, he is not leaning on the pig, he is behind it, so automatically, you can NOT use the gun length as reference to the pig size, as it is not in the foreground against the big, so you have to assume that the gun lengh is shorter in the picture, so the scale is way off, as for the cost of the gun, they’re in small town alabama where all their money gets put into guns or cars, the pig was obviousley hit in the stomach as you cn see a wound on the side of it. this pig is real, good job. but then again if i were to show you a picture of the world record white sturgeon (11ft+ 456lbs) caught from the fraser river in British Columbia, you all would say its a hoax.

May 30, 2007 at 9:58 pm
(43) Ethan says:

Check out the pic on http://www.lostcreekplantation.com/. The pig is OBVIOUSLY much smaller then what it appears on monsterpig.com. In fact, the first thing I noticed on the monsterpig website is that each pic showed the pig to be a different size, the proportion never stayed the same. Pig looks like a big one, but not anywhere near what the claims are.

May 31, 2007 at 1:20 am
(44) Paul Rinella says:

Sue is definitely right
FORCED PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE

I drank from a waterfall in Hawaii a few weeks ago

May 31, 2007 at 9:32 am
(45) Matt Olive, JAX says:

I say it be real yall, Sue you just crazy.
Sorry Paul but I peed in to a waterfall in Hawaii a few weeks ago, hope it was a different one for your sake.

May 31, 2007 at 11:34 am
(46) Britt says:

I find the subject of giant feral pigs especially interesting. Claims of the size of the pig are not so hard to believe. While wild species of pig do not reach huge proportions, domestic pigs can easily reach a thousand pounds or more. Many verified cases of this exist and can be found on the internet. Domestic pigs that escape from their pens or are released into the wild begin to turn feral within weeks. Their snouts and tusks will elongate, their hair will grow coarser, and they will become more agressive. Feral pigs begin to look something like a cross between domestic pigs and wild pigs. Feral pigs have been known to interbreed with wild hogs on a regular basis. I would not be surprised if many more cases of giant feral pigs will begin to pop up. What makes this situation so suspicious is not the size of the animal, but the manner in which it was killed, reported, and disposed of. It is obvious that the pig was far larger than average, but something is definitely fishy about this story… Many of the reports in the media have been inconsistent. It just bothers me how any time a person comes in contact with or kills some sort of unbelievable creature, they conveniently never seem to get really good pictures.

May 31, 2007 at 2:12 pm
(47) Bud says:

I wonder what this animal was doing with it’s life before it was shot. If feral, what was it eating and where? How much food would it eat and why didn’t anyone notice?

May 31, 2007 at 2:46 pm
(48) Glenn says:

These folks are much different than I. If I thought I had shot a 1,000 lb. pig I’d have more than 3 photos, I’d have a ruler showing the tusk length and I sure would not have butchered it until the local game and parks or somebody verified how big the bugger was. Then again I’m a different sorta dude anyway

May 31, 2007 at 3:51 pm
(49) kay b says:

feral hogs and wild boars are to different creatures. If this had been a wild boar it would have been the miricale some of you seem to think. This was a feral pig of which are listed as a nusciance animal in most of the US.

May 31, 2007 at 4:15 pm
(50) Tony says:

“but NO species is more destructive to the WHOLE WORLD than humans!” your right Kara. Kill your self… lol….

Eat a rice cake and vote for hillary first thu…. eehh….

May 31, 2007 at 4:44 pm
(51) Bama Slamma says:

Hmm…

The pig is real. The photos are misleading. The true size and weight of the pig will forever remain unknown.

One thing is certain. This is a viral marketing scam. The website was up and running almost immediately — with sponsorship. The young man has a part in the upcoming Hogzilla movie.

This was clearly a pen raised hog.

This sort of “hunting” is equivalent to fishing in an aquarium.

Sport?

This is the type of “hunting” that appeals to Republican Weiners.

May 31, 2007 at 5:35 pm
(52) glenn says:

Look at the photo on the “hunting preserve” (aquarium..I like that) website. Notice how much larger the pistol appears in the photo. Compare the pistol to the eye to snout distance. I believe one report stated that this span was to be 11″. That being said the pisto which in unmodified form is about 15″? It doesn’t look like things add up. It’s a shame too. I trust that this is in fact a hoax and the the dad makes any money off the posters that they throw the book at him.

I’m pro-hunting but to be honest I’d never pull my kids out of school during the last month of school to go hunting on a preserve in Alabama and I like Alabama.

May 31, 2007 at 5:46 pm
(53) Bama Slamma says:

Don’t misunderstand me. I love Alabama. I’ve lived here all of my life and I’ve done my share of hunting.

This is not hunting. These are not the kind of Alabamians that make me proud of my state. That’s all I’m saying…

May 31, 2007 at 7:16 pm
(54) Jeff says:

The pig is real. The gun is real. The kid is real.

The story is: Kid shoots a big pig.

The other story is: People jump on kid and call him phoney before really knowing much about the story.

May 31, 2007 at 7:32 pm
(55) hunter real says:

I can solve this mystery for all of you.Just check out the little zoo where the kid killed the hog.Its found @ http://www.lostcreekplantation.com./They charge $1.25 per lb for killing one of there pets.If the kid killed a world record,the Plantation would have recorded this feat to sell more hunts/The owner of Lost Creek had “no comment”.Hey for all you real hunters they also have pen raised quail to release for you to shoot. They only charge $375.00 for 24 shot pen raised quail !Macho ,Macho Man !!!

May 31, 2007 at 9:28 pm
(56) Craig says:

The gullibility displayed by some of these posts is astonishing. You can make a housefly look as big as a Bald Eagle with the right lens, aperture, angle and lighting. You don’t need Photoshop. It is a trick as old as photography.

June 1, 2007 at 1:27 am
(57) Ryan says:

This is a complete hoax. The sad thing is they are using an 11 year old boy in the hoax. My friend has been in contact with the person who helped doctor the photo. The family is just looking for attention (which they are getting) and money which I hope they don’t get. Trust me these people are just some scamers. If it was legit, why didn’t they come to the media shortly after the beast was killed?

June 1, 2007 at 8:53 am
(58) Throcky says:

Never heard of a 50 caliber pistol?? 44 caliber magnum, I thought was the largest??.. But, what do I know?…..

June 1, 2007 at 8:54 am
(59) Tramoz says:

If you look well at the most viewed picture of the pig and the boy, the boy is way back from the pig, probably his arms are resting over a table behind the pig. It is a very common trick in photography to make things look out of proportion. Just make sure you have a long “depth”, a 15.0 apperture and you’ve got it.

June 1, 2007 at 9:05 am
(60) Wessley says:

Throckey, regarding the 50 cal pistol it is shown on the kids website @ http://www.monsterpig.com . This pistol is made by Smith And Wesson.

June 1, 2007 at 9:06 am
(61) Jim says:

Today, people will believe and forward ANYTHING without questioning it’s authenticity. Can you spell gullible with a capital G. This and reality TV have one thing in common. They are both hoaxs

June 1, 2007 at 9:06 am
(62) DaVe says:

Hoax; If not I find little reason to kill it..

June 1, 2007 at 9:30 am
(63) T. Alexander says:

Forget the pig. I want to see a picture of the 11 Yr. old kid who can handle a 50cal. pistol. I’m 6’3″ and weigh 220 lbs. and can barely handle one.

June 1, 2007 at 9:46 am
(64) Jamie Alabama says:

It amazes me the people that want to believe this is fake. If you are a hunter then you should admire this kill and really enjoy the meat. People are wondering why the father had it processed and it could be to sell the meat or eat the meat none knows the status of the finances of this family. I am from Alabama I and strongly believe this story as I know we have uninvestigated areas and deep thick woods that people can’t even drive to but you can walk it.

June 1, 2007 at 11:34 am
(65) Tim says:

First, this hog is huge. How huge, who knows, but it’s huge. Is the perspective off, yes, the same as almost any hunting photo I’ve ever seen, and probably exactly how it was described by the father, that is that the boy was well behind the animal but didn’t give the exact distance. However, all you super sleuths who think you can determine the exact size and weight amaze me. Get a grip. If it was an exact science, urban legends wouldn’t be conducting an opinion poll, they would have given you a call to solve the mystery. My opinion is that it’s likely close to the size, but I will go to sleep comfortable knowing that I might be wrong.

My opinion is also that although I might not choose to hunt a “preserve” for a “feral meat hog”, it’s a common, legal practice in many states. For those of you who don’t like it, or who would prefer to outlaw hunting altogether (or eating meat for that matter), perhaps you should exercise your freedom of speech, take your posters, and stand outside a hunting lodge, go to the streets in protest or write your congressman, rather that make oh so brave disgusting attacks on a youth. How lucky you are to have the right to choose for yourselves, and yet how elitist to think others exercising those same choices should be stopped.

Proud to live in a country with freedoms, but far too often ashamed by those of us who think their’s is the only option that counts and would enforce their will on others given half a chance.

June 1, 2007 at 11:50 am
(66) Rosaleen says:

Who cares! At least it got Paris Hilton and Anna Nicole Smith off the front page for a minute or two.

June 1, 2007 at 1:42 pm
(67) Marvin says:

No doubt having the hog in front of the people distorts the perspective somewhat, but feral hogs that have crop land to root and browse can become as large as any that are kept in the pen. Extremes happen in any species, and I’m reluctant to assume this is a hoax.

June 1, 2007 at 4:03 pm
(68) Bama Slamma says:

The pig is real. The 11 year old kid really did “handle” the $2000.00 custom magnaported S&W. He’s a big kig for his age. The pig is made to look larger than life in the photos with no need for photoshop tricks. By knowing the size of the gun, it is possible to determine the implied size of the pig. The most popular photo on the web uses photgraphic perspective tricks to make the pig appear to be approximately 15 feet long from snout to tail.

This was a canned hunt. The pig was in a 150 acre pen. You can also kill caged pheasants at this “preserve”. You will never see a pheasant living in the wild in Alabama. This pig wasn’t wild.

This incident is being investigated by the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division. There are two probable violations of state law — fair chase and transportation of game animals. This is not the only very large hog taken in this 150 acre pen recently.

I’m all for the Dad teaching his kid to hunt, but this isn’t hunting — it’s just killing. You might as well walk out into the pasture and shoot a steer. That might not be ethical, but at least it would be legal.

June 1, 2007 at 4:15 pm
(69) Bama Slamma says:
June 1, 2007 at 4:21 pm
(70) Mel says:

My sister raised that hog in a pen on her farm and sold it to the man who has the hunts. She herself did not know it was going to be hunted. It was killed four day’s later. The game warden was at her house yesterday and got pictures of ( Fred ) their pet hog. the artical is at the to of this page if any one cares to read it. Rhonda and Pill Blissitt. it’s also in the anneston star. He was as big as the said he was. also talked to the boy’s father and he said he was mislead on the hog being domestic.

June 1, 2007 at 4:28 pm
(71) Bama Slamma says:

This is the sort of result that you should expect when you pay big bucks to get a guaranteed kill at a private “hunting” club.

June 1, 2007 at 7:13 pm
(72) Humnibah Slaptibak says:

What brave, intrepid sportsmen!

There is nothing wrong with hunting wild game. The unecessary torture and slaying of a pet is atrocious. Those who engage in canned hunts are, I believe, cowardly and lazy. To call the killing of a tame animal in an enclosed environment a “challenge” is laughable. What important life lessons were imparted to this boy by shooting, tracking, and killing an animal that would have eaten from his hand?

This story amounts to an Alabama Perfect Storm. Camoflage, guns, hunting, family bonding, and Jesus. No wonder Alabama remains a laughing stock of the civilized world.

June 1, 2007 at 7:48 pm
(73) Lee says:

You all read this….

FRUITHURST — Before he became known as “Monster Pig,” the 1,051-pound hog shot in Delta was known by another name.

Fred.

Rhonda and Phil Blissitt told The Star on Thursday evening that, on April 29, four days before the hog was killed, Fred was one of many livestock on their farm.

Late Thursday evening, their claims were confirmed by Andy Howell, Game Warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

“I didn’t want to stir up anything,” Rhonda Blissitt said. “I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn’t a wild pig.”

Added Phil Blissitt: “If it went down in the record book, it would be deceiving, and we’d know that for the rest of our lives.”

The monster hog gained worldwide acclaim after he was harvested by 11-year-old Jamison Stone, a Pickensville native, with a .50-caliber pistol on May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation, LLC, a hunting preserve in Delta. The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure and fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.

The Blissitts said they were unaware that the hog generating all the media attention was once theirs. It wasn’t until Howell spoke with Phil Blissitt that the pieces of the puzzle came together.

Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him about the now-famous hog.

“Did you see that pig on TV?” Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him. “I said, ‘Yeah, I had one about that size. He said, ‘No, that one is yours.’

“That’s when I knew.”

Phil Blissitt purchased the pig for his wife as a Christmas gift in December of 2004. From 6 weeks old, they raised the pig as it grew to its enormous size.

Not long ago, they decided to sell off all of their pigs. Eddy Borden, owner of Lost Creek Plantation, purchased Fred.

Attempts by The Star to reach Borden were unsuccessful.

While Rhonda Blissitt was somewhat in the dark about the potential demise of her pet, Phil Blissitt said he was under the understanding that it would breed other female pigs and then “probably be hunted.” Many other of their former pigs — like their other farm animals — had been raised for the purpose of agricultural harvest.

From his treats of canned sweet potatoes to the how grandchildren would play with him, their stories painted the picture of a gentle giant. The even talked about how their small chihuahua would get in the pen with him and could come out unscathed.

“But if they hadn’t fed him in a while,” Rhonda Blissitt said, “he could have gotten irate.”

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when they learned about all the doubters who said photos of Fred were doctored.

“That was a big hog,” he said.

The information of the pig’s previous owner came out on the same day that officials from the Fish and Wildlife concluded their investigation of the hunt. They concluded that nothing illegal happened under the guidelines of Alabama law.

Allan Andress, enforcement chief for the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division, said they derived the hog’s origin as the investigation unfolded.

“We were able to determine that he came from a domesticated environment,” he said. “So, he was not feral to start with. Therefore, he would not violate our feral swine trapping and relocating rule.”

Mike Stone, Jamison’s father, contends that he was unaware of the origin of the pig. Before, during and after the hunt — and up until late Thursday night, when contacted by The Star — Mike Stone was under the impression that the hog was feral.

“We were told that it was a feral hog,” Mike Stone said, “and we hunted it on the pretense that it was a feral hog.”

June 1, 2007 at 7:48 pm
(74) Kelly says:

First of all, it is uncalled for to be writing such hateful comments to a child even if this is a hoax. however, I have looked at the monsterpig.com website and I noticed quite a few pictures where the size ratios of objects do not remain the same. in the most famous of these pictures, the one with the boy kneeling behind this hog, his father noted that he was resting his elbow on his knee and points out that you can see his knee. I have been around market hogs all my life (they are slaughtered when they weigh roughly 250 lbs)and at 5’9″ if i knelt behind one in that position, you would only be able to see about 3 inches of leg (the boys pic shows about 2 inches) so clearly that is not a proper ration. also there is a picture of him holding the gun and one of the gun resting on the pigs head, the gun is significantly smaller when it is in his hand (when laid on the pig it spans the top of it’s head from ear to ear). another thing i noticed was how small the pig looks in the pic where they are lifting it with a tractor, I also noted that they hadn’t field-dressed this animal at all, which is usually the first step after any kill. this could all be results of angles, etc, but I doubt it.

June 2, 2007 at 12:22 am
(75) jess says:

A Pet. Named Fred. This pig was a domesticated pet. He had been taught to trust and love people. His name was Fred. He played with the original owner’s grandchildren, and their tiny dog. They fed him canned yams as a treat. He was a gentle, loving giant. This Stone individual, armed with heavy artillery, shot at this tame pet for 3 hours. The animal likely bled to death. This was in a fenced area. Please learn about “canned hunting.” This is not hunting. This is psychopathic activity.

June 2, 2007 at 2:49 am
(76) Bi Bubba says:

it’s still smaller then my ex-wifes mother

June 2, 2007 at 4:13 pm
(77) ChillerBaggins says:

How can an 11-year-old boy fire a .50 caliber pistol? A .50 caliber pistol? Who would make such a thing? That’s what’s in the machine gun on top of a tank. Sorry, I’m from Australia – I only see .50 caliber on the news – from Iraq.

June 2, 2007 at 4:27 pm
(78) ChillerBaggins says:

Re the “major motion picture”; there’s an old Australian horror movie called ‘Razorback’ about a giant killer pig in the OZ outback. About 1980-82 if I remember. It starred, I think BJ? from M.A.S.H TV, or maybe the last sidekick for Hawkeye. Forget. And Arkie Whitely, artist Brett Whiteley’s daughter.

June 2, 2007 at 4:45 pm
(79) pig says:

I really feel sorry for that child, for being son of a such an a**hole. That redneck is selling the photo of his son with the dead pig as poster…

June 2, 2007 at 4:51 pm
(80) pig says:

I really feel sorry for that child, for being son of a such an arsehole. That redneck is selling the photo of his son with dead pig as poster…

June 2, 2007 at 5:10 pm
(81) Michael says:

While it is obvious now with the information that has come out that this situation is not all that it originally cracked up to be—an orignially domesticated pig sold to a game preserve—there are quite a few inaccuracies in the collective mythbusting that need to be addressed.

.50 caliber pistols have been around for quite some time. The “Desert Eagle” makes frequent appearances in major motion pictures, the most memorable for me being the scene near the end of the movie “Snatch” (“Ari–grab your ankles!”)

That there is an 11 year-old boy in Alabama that can master one of these weapons is also not quite a surprise. Well, maybe not “master”, but at least be proficient with it’s use.

The time and energy and concern for the debunking of this rather mundane mystery are the most staggering thing of all for me personally.

June 2, 2007 at 7:26 pm
(82) ted says:

This scam was revealed by Anniston reporter Bran Strickland who interviewed the orginal owners, the Blissitts.

Here is a segment “As the Blissitts recounted the events of the last two days, they told stories and made many references to the gentleness of their former “pet.” From his treats of canned sweet potatoes to how their grandchildren would play with him, their stories painted the picture of a gentle giant. They even talked about how their small Chihuahua would get in the pen with him and come out unscathed”

Blissitt stated that he was getting rid of Fred because they were GETTING RID OF ALL THEIR PIGS.

They backed up their story with photos!

Now that they have been criticized for dumping a pet in a canned hunting facility, their story is changing, and the AP is sending out their REVISED version. In other words, the lies and coverup.

In the AP later version, Blissitt is now claiming the pig was a “nuisance.”

The AP has censored ALL earlier statements from the Blissitts.

Shame on the AP for not only being foolish enough to fall for this scam, but now colluding with these people to cover up the truth.

June 2, 2007 at 9:13 pm
(83) Eyesight says:

These people are lying through their teeth when they tell you the photos are not faked or retouched.

Proof is at http://66.226.75.96/pig/

So why should we believe another single word they say?

June 2, 2007 at 11:55 pm
(84) treehugger says:

The pig’s not a monster. The kid is.

Have you seen the picture where he poses with the pig? There’s blood dripping for the pig’s mouth. He should not be proud or praised for his “act”. It was cruel and unkind!

June 3, 2007 at 8:14 am
(85) Greenpeace says:

Let us assume it’s a hoax.
Let us further assume that they made money out of the hoax.
It is still better than the Florida vote count hoax that has resulted in thousands of deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan. American deaths!!
People do all sorts of things to make money so a little photo fixing should not raise your tempers so much. Use your energy against the deaths of our soldiers for no reason at all.
Weapons of Mass Destruction HAH!!!

June 3, 2007 at 4:50 pm
(86) independant says:

The only “hoax” in the Fla. election was the unsuccessful attempt to overturn it. Gore lost. He knew he lost. Every way they counted the votes, he lost. Bush haters counted every way they could after it was over. He lost. His only claim to office was his belief that he has a God-given right to rule. Iraq is a mess. The enemy is among us. The borders are wideopen, and almost none of our elected officials care. We are on the edge of oblivion.

June 3, 2007 at 4:52 pm
(87) Fred says:

The sad thing about this story, regardless of whether it’s fake or real, is the pride both father and son have about killing something. The son is reported to have said, “I’ll probably never kill something this big again.” The obsession in this country with killing something for sport is pathetic. The father brags that his son made his first kill at age 5. Well good for him. I am not a gun-control nut or against hunters; I realize that it’s necessary to cull out certain animals when they become a nuisance or an abundance, but let’s not take such great pleasure in the killing of God’s creatures.

June 3, 2007 at 5:32 pm
(88) Dave says:

To Todd & Rob,
What’s wrong with US??? The kid needs to be taken down a few pegs.It’s a cruel world out there and if you can’t back up your claim–get down off your soapbox kid!!!

June 4, 2007 at 10:27 am
(89) Donna says:

I say lets all take a sack lunch and picket in front of thier house……..lol

June 4, 2007 at 10:39 am
(90) Donna says:

Really if you want to blame someone.you should blame the owner of the pig. They are the ones that didn’t care anymore about “Fred”. Are they that blind that they didn’t know he would be hunted?

June 4, 2007 at 11:44 am
(91) kay says:

When the owners of Fred no longer wanted him or their other piggies, why would they not contact a pig sanctuary, to live out their last days in a safe and happy haven? One well known is Pigs Peace Sanctuary. (www.pigspeace.org) I understand raising animals for food. I understand hunting in the real sense. But to put your pet on a canned hunting preserve? I do not understand. Fred had a name, a face, and a personality. He played with the grandchildren and ate sweet potatoe treats! I wonder what their explanation is to the grandchildren! One day, they will know the real truth.

June 4, 2007 at 6:17 pm
(92) dan says:

BIG for real not wild can’t make me belive that not enouhh food in wild ? how old was this pig ?? no way it was wild/ you can check age on them !!

June 4, 2007 at 6:32 pm
(93) dan says:

trying real hunting not some fence yard then you can brag some

June 5, 2007 at 3:02 pm
(94) kris Hull says:
June 5, 2007 at 9:22 pm
(95) Stevensfort says:

Yep, the photo with the boy and the gun shows the pig almost twice as big as it is due to the perspective illusion. The other pictures show it about right. A big pig, but not the monster the photo illusion makes it out to seem. Also, good job #30.

June 7, 2007 at 10:12 am
(96) Gator says:

As a former Hunter Safety Instructor for the CA DFG I find several problems here. 1. A 11 year child should not be handling a .50 Cal handgun, too much gun. 2. The bullet holes in the pig showed there was lack of hunter ethics, a one shot kill would have been best to harvest this pig. This pig suffered from multi gun shots.

June 8, 2007 at 6:22 pm
(97) dooberheim says:

Didn’t read the whole thread, but what stikes me here is the boy having to shoot the hog 9 times (over three hours!). I hunt, and have never shot an animal more than three times, and within a space of maybe 15 minutes tops. I congratulate him on the kill, but not on his shot placement or weapon choice. He should have used a 30-06/.308 minimum, and preferably a dangerous game rifle for an animal that size. This just gives the PETA people more ammunition for their argument that hunters don’t care about the suffering of their game.

June 10, 2007 at 6:57 am
(98) The Other Bill says:

For what it’s worth, I think that the photos look staged so the pig would look much bigger than it was. The pig was probably about as large as the father claimed, but not nearly as large as some of the pictures seemed to show.
But the most amazing part of this thing was how heated the comments got. I can’t believe how far this discusion got off the track and how uncivil it became.
I thought this was probably about: (1) a kid with a publicity seeking father,(2) the inhumane & sloppy killing of a very large tame pig in a fake hunt,(3) the dad not admitting that the pictures were staged so they exaggerated the size of the pig, and (4) the father letting his son get stuck in the middle of this mess.
The story was NOT about: (1) the people of Alabama,(2) Hilary Clinton,(3) the ethics of real hunting,(4) the destructiveness feral pigs,(5) the proper size of fire arm for a large 11 year old, or (6) any of the insulting things said about others who made comments.
Criticize the quality of the ideas, the reasoning or the evidence–you only demean your self when you stoop to cheap shots and insults. Please try to keep it civil. How can we expect to discuss something really important, when we “go to war” over something as trivial as this!

September 23, 2007 at 5:09 pm
(99) Rhonda Shearer says:

http://www.StinkyJournalism.org was the first to offer scientific evidence that the photo was faked. See special report http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/newsdetail.php?id=45

Dr. Richard Brandt, retired NYU physicist, measured the perspective geometry in the photo and concluded the hog represented would have to be 15 feet in size, not the 9 feet 4 inches the father claims.

When NBC Today Show heard Dr. Brandt’s study results, they canceled the boy’s appearance.

We also include a time line with intriguing tidbits. The movie producers for a film about a giant hog just so happened to get a web site url the same day as the Monster pig boy’s father. And oh yes, the boy is scheduled to appear in the film…

May 5, 2007: Monsterpig.com and thelegendofhogzillathemovie.com are registered on the same day according to whois registration records. Monsterpig.com registrant pays extra to keep ownership secret. (tip thanks to J. Tithonus Pednaud)

Time line for Monster pig found at http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/newsdetail.php?id=51

October 13, 2007 at 9:41 am
(100) mossyoak says:

this pig is real. ive seen the skull. it was over 1000 pounds. the photos were not doctored. this stuff is true. so please stop making yourselves sound stupid.

September 23, 2010 at 4:53 pm
(101) recoil reducer products says:

I have yet to see a Pig like this in real life. Man if you went and tried to find something like this in the wild i really doubt that you are going to find someone. I think that we need to have more proof than just a picture that can be photoshoped and changed to the way that someone wants.

July 10, 2011 at 4:46 am
(102) tex says:

firstly 1000 + pounds is believable a yorkshire domestic pig gets at least yea big and bigger. ferral pigs just domestic pig after a generation or two wild. secondly hunting is benificial to both wildlife and the ecosystem when done legaly and responsibly.thirdly I own both a .50 bmg rifle and a .50 cal handgun I could see a 11 year old handling the pistol it has a shorter powder charge than a rifle and came stock with a recoil compensator it has less recoil than my 9mm. fourth good fourth I drive all my hunting kills straight to the butcher too its hard as sin to dress out and butcher a frozen animal that size and it would spoil if you let it sit waiting in hopes a national geographic photographer was coming I would have turned it into sausage too. and last if youve ever hunted much an animal can live for hours or days if you get a bad hit run miles and fight like hell dont matter if you shoot it with a 7mm mag or a .45 a miss on the vitals can mean a couple days of tarcking