1. News & Issues

Are women who drink bottled water that has been exposed to heat for a prolonged period of time -- in a car parked in the sunshine all day, for example -- putting themselves at risk for breast cancer due to hazardous chemicals leaching out of the plastic? That's the contention of a popular forwarded email of late, but the available research suggests otherwise. Read more...

Comments

June 10, 2007 at 9:38 pm
(1) Elizabeth Anderson says:

I hope not. I sometimes will pick up a bottle of water, leave it in my car all day and then take it inside my house. I want to know if leaving the bottle in a hot car with the sun glaring down is putting my at risk of breast cancer. I hope not.

May 8, 2008 at 2:12 am
(2) Sethie says:

False.

Plastics meant to contain foods are listed as ‘food contact substances’ under FDA regulations, and under those regulations, such substances are held to the same stringent standards as food additives. That means that you could eat the plastic the bottle is made of, and it wouldn’t harm you. Well, except for possibly causing a blockage or cutting your mouth or GI tract.

In short: The plastic used to make water bottles are not toxic. Don’t worry about leaving them in your car, this is just an old internet rumor.

April 19, 2011 at 2:28 am
(3) sophie says:

You are false. Plastic is not edible and it most bottled water contains BPA.

In short: it is not an internet rumor and don’t eat plastic!

June 6, 2008 at 4:48 pm
(4) JoemW English says:

Well I don`t know where you experts get your information.
Anything the FDA regulates is dangerous!!
Don`t believe anything they tell you is safe, it is not, some might be.
If they say it`s safe it will kill you.
Believe them if you want to.
Myself they are the biggest liers on earth.
I have absolutely no faith in anything they say and never will.
Ever since they starting controlling everything we have been the sickest and fattest country in the world, more disease and death than ever.
Now this is my opinion, I don1t and will not ever trust them.
Plastic will kill you, it is nothing but margerine with one molecule added.
Believe what you want to

August 25, 2008 at 1:13 pm
(5) George says:

Even the slightest bit of the chemical is unacceptable in my opinion. What is the FDA’s definition of getting too much of that “slightest dose” of the chemical? What about people that drink bottled water all day? Do they get too much then? Bottle line is, your liver has to filter that out. Just like a pool filter, it gets clogged up eventually and you get a disease. That’s one reason why people get type 2 diabetes when they get older. Eat liver friendly foods and you will live a long life. No preservatives..

October 29, 2008 at 1:50 am
(6) Jamie says:

I agree. The plastic is very dangerous! And, that comment about the margerine, is true.

September 5, 2010 at 3:04 pm
(7) Are you serious? says:

You believe that margarine is one molecule from plastic because you read it in an email, and you believe everything you read and if it comes from the internet it must be true!

You should also stay away from cool whip – 1 molecule from styrofoam, cheese whiz is 1 molecule from garbage bags, margarine, pam spay, are also claimed to be plastic… but it’s the water inside the bottle that is really dangerous… 1 molecule from being an atom bomb! That carbon dioxide you exhale is 1 molecule from being carbon monoxide… which could kill you and your family in your sleep – so don’t exhale!!

November 1, 2009 at 4:27 pm
(8) Jon says:

Jamie…the comment about margarine is a joke. They say that it is one atom different from plastic. Well, water is one atom different from hydrogen…and BTW, the chemical makeup between margarine and plastic is not even similar.

There is no doubt that margarine is bad for you, but there is NO similarities between it and plastic.

December 4, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(9) thank you "Are you Serious" says:

After watching the Jesse Ventura show TruTV last night, and seeing the movie Flow last year, I think we all need to wake-up to the realization that we don’t know really anything about what is truly going on. We all need to start doing our own research and stop blindly trusting everything we hear/read.