1. News & Issues

David Emery

07-07-07 - Luckiest Date in 100 Years?

By July 2, 2007

Are you ready to get lucky on Saturday, July 7, 2007? It's the day Tupac will return. It's the day Al Gore's Live Earth concert will take place in eight different cities around the world to raise awareness about global climate change. It is shaping up to be the most popular day in history to get married.

Why? Because in many cultures seven is regarded as a lucky number, so July 7, 2007 -- 7/7/07 -- is lucky times three, if you believe in that sort of thing.

It has been pointed out that an even luckier date gave cause for celebration exactly 30 years ago -- 7/7/77. Archived news stories from the time show that folks went wedding-happy then, too -- although, curiously enough, the same thing happened again on 8/8/88 and 9/9/99.

Digging back even further, I looked for evidence that lucky-seven mania took hold 100 years ago on July 7, 1907. Turns out it did not -- which is puzzling. Are we more superstitious today than we were a century ago?

Speaking of being superstitious, those who are so inclined will probably want to stay home behind locked doors the following weekend -- it's Friday the 13th.

Poll:  Do you believe in lucky numbers?   1) Oh, yes!  2) No way.  3) Not sure.

More About 07-07-07:
Hitting the Jackpot with a 7-7-07 Wedding - About.com
Couples Lining Up for the Seventh-Year Hitch - Los Angeles Times
The Number of the Feast - The Economist
Luck Number Seven - The Telegraph
77 Things You Need to Know About 07 - The Independent

Comments

July 6, 2007 at 11:40 am
(1) Diane says:

While I agree with the 7-7-07 hype, I think people are forgetting about 7-7-77. I know a lot of women who scheduled their baby’s birth on that date. I guess some of the people celebrating 7-7-07 are too young to remember. (4 times lucky)

July 6, 2007 at 4:58 pm
(2) Thomas Reisner says:

For the Chinese, August 8, 2008 — 8-8-8 — is going to be a great deal luckier still, given the high regard in which that nation holds the number 8. So, whatever happens this July 7, next August 8 is probably going to top it.

July 6, 2007 at 9:43 pm
(3) Karen Mora says:

I think it’s a good day to get married – who could forget it? Of course, so is 8-8-8, etc. I have a terrible time remembering dates!

July 7, 2007 at 9:31 am
(4) denny says:

i owrked from twelve am to eight am at a casino.and i di not see any more jackpots than on any given day.it htink its just a bunch of bull crap.although it is a ideal day to get married.i would no go out and gamble your life savings away.

July 7, 2007 at 12:46 pm
(5) Friar Tuck says:

Lucky numbers generally hail from a time when letters and numbers were the same. How the notion that some were better than others got started is lost happenstance, most likely. But it’s easier for most to ccontinue a tradition than not.

November 14, 2008 at 9:14 pm
(6) Tremain says:

Hello all, i believe my birhtday was and still is significant since I was really Born on July 7th 1977 7-7-77 And its awesome to tell people when they ask what my b-day at the doctors office i say SEVEN-SEVEN-SEVENTY SEVEN,lol, isnt that cool though, but those numbers havent came out in lottery since i was i think 19 LOL 7777(play-4)

May 24, 2010 at 4:52 am
(7) Ron Robins says:

This is NOT the luckiest day in a hundred years! Did you forget about my birthday July 7, 1977??? 7lbs and 7oz???

August 18, 2010 at 6:06 pm
(8) Mary Jo says:

My oldest daughter was born on 7-7-77 and I did not plan it. My next child was born on 8-8-88 and she was not planned either. They have different fathers. My son, whom I tried for 9-9-90 was born 10-6-90. So as you can see, God is in control of when a child will come into this world. I have also lost four children to miscarriages.

July 8, 2011 at 2:34 am
(9) Shelley says:

My bday is also 7-7-77! for real… my mom didnt schedule it … guess the number 7 is rily for me :) sometimes it just feels odd whenever im asked when my bday is coz there wud always be words of amazement! but i feel lucky that its my bday..

July 17, 2011 at 6:02 am
(10) Sidney says:

I was born 7-7-77 and I cant say if its lucky or not. But I did read some numerlogy stuff and it said that having the same number in your birthday repeatedly is not good. It means you will learn lessons hard and suffer a very challenging life at an early age most times tragic and sadly this has been true for me. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if your bday is 7-7-77 and you have had a crappy life ….. Welcome to the club. Many changes and heartaches.

May 25, 2012 at 5:55 pm
(11) RachH77 says:

I too have a 7-7-77 bday. I was not planned and it wasn’t forseen that I would marry and divorce a man born 7-8-78. My mom remembers an article in the paper when I was born about what charmed lives we would lead. I’m an eternal optimist but by no means charmed. It gets old with all the lame comments made about how lucky I must be. I had friends that were dying to go to the casino on 7-7-07. I refused to go because of the superstitious gamblers and my concern that my bday would be announced and I’d be hounded. I have never regretted not going. I love my life but I worked for it, nothing was handed to me on a silver platter engraved with 7′s. My bday, however, is often a topic of discussion and I do take some pride in the fact that it is unique.

October 3, 2012 at 12:31 am
(12) Marvo says:

I was born on 07-07-1977 which I think is unique. However I got a bit lucky in life when I was at the age 20 to 26. After that I loosed every single thing I had and I bearing the cross Jesus carried up to this point. I don’t know if it is a curse or what? But I have repeatedly paid a lot to learn daily. I read Sidney post about numerology and based on what is said, that in fact has and is happening to me presently. Everyone of us who were born on this day needs to check ourselves and life. Our interpretation of our birthday of luck may be far away from the truth. I will from time to time highlight any new changes in my life and will like to hear from many other people across the World that was born on this date. We really ought to create a chat forum. Bye for now all of you. Let’s hope for God’s Blessings.

October 26, 2012 at 12:02 pm
(13) Amy says:

I am a 7/7/77 baby! 7′s are not lucky for me. Always wanted to find and connect with some others born on 7/7/77.

October 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm
(14) Amy says:

It never gets old when you tell people your birthday and you see the look on their face or sound of surprise in their voice. It’s funny when people don’t make a comment about it. The stone faced health insurance rep that runs off a script.

October 29, 2012 at 1:08 am
(15) Marvo says:

Hi Amy, it’s nice of you to contribute to this discussion. Maybe on facebook or Twitter you can create a chat foroum for all of us who were born on this date. I am happy for us to reach out to everybody world wide who was born on this date. Hope to hear from you soon. It will be nice to hear of everyone life experiance.

February 22, 2013 at 8:12 pm
(16) Liza Welsh says:

hi everyone, so nice to read other 7′s views, i’m a 7/7/77 girl with 7lbs 7ozs AND born at 7am in the morning. i also find it wierd when people dont comment on it, yet get annoyed when they say ‘oh thats an easy one to remember’ or ‘all the sevens, bet your lucky numbers 7!’
i have found these numbers make me different, not always good. its hard with these numbers being so prevalent in our lives, we are SPECIAL. cant wait to find out why!!!!!!

March 6, 2013 at 4:23 am
(17) dedrick says:

I’m also born on 7777, I myself finds it not lucky… Most times I feel weird. I’ve always wanted to find other s tht were born on tht do… But Wht keeps me up is tht its gods number… Completion!!! I’m not lucky Sad to say but I’m truly blessed an I find tht I’m n his favor… Bcus ever time an I mean ever time I call on him…. He never let me down…

April 4, 2013 at 5:00 am
(18) sabrina says:

I too was born 7/7/77 7lbs 7oz born at 7am it really does get old when you tell someone the birth date and the comments of oh bet your lucky, or oh how neat is that. Not lucky at all. But i have always wanted to meet people with the same just to see if they have had any luck in life..

July 9, 2013 at 11:58 pm
(19) Marvo says:

Day before yesterday was the 07-07-2013. I just wanted to wish everyone like myself a Happy 36years on this planet earth. I believe God will call on all of us who were born on this date 7-7-1977 to have special portfolios when the World ends. We all may automatically turn to Angels.

September 5, 2013 at 1:18 pm
(20) Rossy says:

I too was born 7777 and was not planned. i know that am special, but i do not have breakthroughs through my luck. where I suppose to shine and have success, it never occur. it just luck without breakthrough. is this happening to me alone?

September 25, 2013 at 10:22 pm
(21) Linh says:

I also born on 7/7/1977 and I like to share the experience
Gambling??? no much luck but much of surprise
three birthdays straight 2002 – 03 – 04. Won $500 at the casino.
2002 won mini jackpot 777 on the black jack game.
2003 won mini jackpot 7777 on the Caribbean stud game
2004 won mini jackpot 4 x Kings on the Caribbean stud game.
Never win anything else.
I always believe in my luck in the way that “I WILL SURVIVE IN EVERY FALL”.
It was always like a test in life for everything that I do and until now, I am proud that I have experience so much from every failure.
eg: had a partner and a child in the early age, being separated and now from the experience, have found the most gentle, smart and beautiful wife. Have a nice double storey home and a good job (Can’t complaint).

December 3, 2013 at 4:40 am
(22) Shelley07 says:

I hope all people born on 7-7-77 can connect thru a fan page or something.. i want to meet them coz i hav same bday

February 8, 2014 at 3:38 am
(23) andrea says:

I have had a hard life my bday is 7-7-77 but this past years getting better.praying it stays that way…..

March 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm
(24) theresa says:

i was also born on 7/7/77 like u guys i always wanted to meet someone with our bday. i was always lucky when i was young i won alot of scratchoffs and i am def blessed. my life is kinda messed up now but its my bad decisions that make it this way but i have to say that at the end of the day god always blesses me. so i may hover over it but i never hit the ground!

March 23, 2014 at 10:09 am
(25) Angie says:

I was also born 7777 and weighed 7lbs even i wasn’t planned. I also grew up with a friend who was also born 7777.

April 16, 2014 at 1:45 am
(26) katherine says:

I am also a 7/7/77 baby. Most things in my life are on 7. 177 cm of height, 7th at the uni and so many others. Even the cinema I went to yesterday was the 7th room. I dont play lucky games but I tend to win when I take part in contests on radio. I am lucky I guess.