1. News & Issues

David Emery

Jimmy Kimmel vs. Poisonous Snake

By August 14, 2007

Folks have been forwarding me a year-old video clip from Jimmy Kimmel Live in which havoc ensues after the host is apparently bitten on the hand by a poisonous snake brought by a guest. The clip ends with the audience applauding as Mr. Kimmel is rolled out of the studio on a gurney. "just wondering if this Jimmy Kimmel video is real or staged," asks one semi-credulous reader.

The answer is that it was staged, and fairly obviously so. The clip even features cutaways to audience members reacting in horror to what is transpiring, not to mention a handheld shot of Kimmel being loaded into an ambulance -- directorial touches suggesting that the "incident" was thoroughly planned and rehearsed, not accidental.

A Wikipedia entry devoted to the show describes that night's episode as follows:
In an episode that originally aired on May 15, 2006, Kimmel staged a stunt on his show whereby a rattlesnake bites him on the hand. At first it looks real, but as it progresses, there are clues that it is faked. The show follows Kimmel as he is taken to the hospital. After a commercial break, continues to do the show from his hospital bed with the band, having traveled in the ambulance, at his bedside. The rush to get him in the hospital tied in with his guests from the ABC show, Grey's Anatomy. At the end of the episode, the rattlesnake talked while the credits rolled.

Comments

August 23, 2007 at 12:56 pm
(1) Gigi says:

Hello Jeff,
DO you get it now,,,STAGED..

September 7, 2007 at 9:42 am
(2) Yammy says:

What does it say about his pathetic show that he has to stage something like this?

July 4, 2008 at 9:40 pm
(3) tomas says:

i think its real

August 20, 2008 at 10:18 pm
(4) Steven Ernest Scott says:

I think it was real. I recognize that gasping that Jimmy was doing, ALL TOO WELL. My brother was gasping like that after a snake bit him, but he died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Rest in Peace, Ernest! I hope Jimmy made it.

March 31, 2010 at 10:05 am
(5) Bill Miller says:

What an a–h—. This idiot needs to pull stunts like this to get people to watch his show? This reinforces my reasons for not watching him. He’s a big zero in my book. Can you spell Jimmy Kimmel? I think the correct spelling is IDIOT WITH VERY LIMITED TALENT.

March 15, 2011 at 11:50 pm
(6) Steph says:

Of course it is staged you retards.

March 30, 2014 at 12:37 pm
(7) nike air max 1 premium says:

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful &
it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid
others like you aided me.

my blog post; <a href=”http://www.mindset-holding.com/reel-air-max-vente-en-ligne/magnifique-hommes-air-max-skybine-boutique”>nike air max 1 premium</a>