1. News & Issues

David Emery

Quoth Obama?

By March 11, 2008

Bogus quote: 'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.'THE FOLLOWING quotation has been making the rounds of Republican blogs:

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it."
-- Barack Obama

Along with all the predictable moans and groans of disapprobation from the right, I actually found one Obama supporter attempting to defend the statement!

The irony is, Obama said no such thing.

It's a spoof, originally posted on Mark Steyn's blog on NationalReview.com. What's more, Obama wasn't its intended target -- John McCain was.

To quote Mr. Steyn's January 28, 2008 posting:

Three weeks ago, after New Hampshire, when Hill and McCain and the gang were all bragging about being "agents of change," a (non-U.S.) correspondent of mine emailed me his all-purpose stump speech for this primary season:

Steyn later bemoans the viral misuse of the satirical quote here.

All's fair in politics, eh?

Poll: Has your opinion of Obama been affected at all by Internet rumors?
1) Yes, a lot. 2) Yes, a little. 3) No, not at all.

(Photo by Scott Olsen / Getty Images)

Comments

March 14, 2008 at 12:21 pm
(1) hater of hate says:

why dont you finish the rest of his statement

March 15, 2008 at 8:12 am
(2) FAITH says:

WHY IS IT THAT EVERYONE WRITES ME AND SAYS ITS TRUE ITS ON “SNOOPS”. WHEN I COME TO URBAN LEGENDS IT SAYS ITS FALSE. WHY IS THERE SUCH A DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO SITE ARE THEY TOTALLY DUMB OR WHAT?

March 15, 2008 at 12:03 pm
(3) Scared to Death says:

I think the devil acting like obama should crawl back under the rock or pile of crap that he crawled out from under! ANTICHRIST !!!

March 17, 2008 at 10:04 am
(4) Chuck L Heppner says:

You Anal retentive, passive-aggressive, lugubriously vitriolic, pusilanimously, mendacious, jingoistic, zenophobic,anonymous racist, & Grand Lizard, of the Compassionate Konservative Keyboard komandos.

STFU

March 19, 2008 at 11:42 pm
(5) Tuck says:

I think Mr Obama should pack up his suit case and go live with his Menter..The Rev, Wright.He has idolized him for 20 yrs.

March 26, 2008 at 11:54 am
(6) Mouachi Thao says:

What are you trying to change when you said it in your Quote

April 6, 2008 at 4:16 pm
(7) jeannie Britt says:

This was NOT said by him. It WAS said by his wife!

May 20, 2008 at 7:19 am
(8) Karen Bishop says:

The statement re. “…greatest country…change it.”, was in fact stated by Barack Obama. I heard these words come from his mouth, and not anywhere else. I’m not saying this because I do not like him or want him as the next president, but because it is a fact. Don’t spin the truth or no one will believe anything you say. Interesting though that you have quite a lot of paid political advertising from Obama’s campaign on your site. Doing a little politicking of your own? ;)

September 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm
(9) Fat Dan says:

Unless you have a quote on tape or video, it seems that anyone will spin it or make one up and take it out of context to try to embarrass whoever they don’t like. Then the other party will run with it and the rumor spreads.

July 15, 2008 at 10:02 am
(10) Hates Information Illiteracy says:

To Karen Bishop above–what proof do you have that he actually said this? (And I mean a legitimate source–not some website trying to spread misinformation.) It kills me that people are making all of these declarations without backing them up with any kind of real evidence.

August 1, 2008 at 10:47 am
(11) Peanut9244 says:

I dont really like Obama for what other feel are dumb reasons, expecially those in the DemocRATic party.

It is NOT because of the colour of his skin heaven only knows I have plenty of blacks as friends. My reasons are simple because my reasons show charater of people. It is my “dumb ass” reasons that the local DemocRATs think this Republican should STFU.

I dont like Obama because he DISRESPECTS others in the country with the same views as I. He disrespects this country by tweddling his thumbs in the presence of thousands by not reciting the pledge, and not putting his hand over his heart when the NATIONAL ANTHEM is played. Sorry DISRESPECT MY COUNTRY YOU DISRESPECT ME.
Than you have his wife that OPENLY states that for the first time in her adult life she is proud to be an American. OF COURSE SHE WOULD BE HE HUSBAND IS ON HIS WAY TO THE WHITEHOUSE WHICH MEANS SHE IS GOING TO BE THE FIRST “BLACK” LADY.

Than the REMARK made by Reverand Jerry Wright, GOD DAM AMERICA. This “reverand” BLAMES THE WHITES FOR ALL THE KILLING DISEASES THE BLACKS HAVE. And Obama has listened to sermons like that for how many years 20 I believe.

Lastly is THIS KID IS JUST LEARNING TO WIPE HIS NOSE IN THE SENATE. How the HELL can ANYONE have the EXPERIENCE to run a country being elected to a Federal position in 3 years. This kid had high hopes when he was drafted as an Illinois Representative in 1996. He even admits it in his book Audacity of Hope.

I fear this man will be the downfall of this country should he be elected because I, for some reason, see another JOHN FITZGERALD KENNEDY. I really think this is going to be a loose loose situation with all races being the looser.

If he is NOT elected life in this country IS GOING TO CHANGE……CHANGE FOR THE WORST.

May 9, 2011 at 10:53 pm
(12) Chauncey McHoopenstein says:

Peanut,
You Sir, are an Idiot.
A full blown moron.
Please cease driving or
operating any mechanical device
immediately. Always feed yourself
with plastic utensils and don’t forget
to wear your drool bag in
public.

August 2, 2008 at 6:03 pm
(13) rerssydaylap says:

Thanks !

August 7, 2008 at 11:51 am
(14) dd says:

Bottom line folks….Mr. Obama does NOT have the experience nor ENOUGH on the job training necessary to run any super large corporation, much the most powerful country on earth. That fact alone disqualifies him.

August 21, 2008 at 9:10 am
(15) Dr. No says:

Peanut9244,

Maybe you should proof read your posts prior to clicking the “Say It!” button. I read your entire, and I have to say that you typed everything out like a true politician. I ended up not knowing which side of this thing your on.

Just so you know, here is my opinion: Obama is a Socialist. Remember socialism? It’s been practiced, AND FAILED, in many other countries – the former Soviet Union, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Canada, etc. (Did you know that Margaret Thatcher actually converted the British economy from socialist to capitalist? She had to do it – they were broke!)

So what does this mean? If Obama is elected, he is seeking to implement a number of BIG Government policies that have failed many times in other parts of the world. My friend – that is Einstein’s definition of insanity. Trying the same thing over and over again, and then expecting different results every time is completely INSANE!!! Obama actually is quite audacious, and he obviously hopes that his implementation of a completely failed form of government will work. And to think – he bashes President Bush over a “failed policy in Iraq”.

There’s my nickle’s worth,
Dr. No

August 23, 2008 at 11:39 pm
(16) Steve says:

You are all nuts. Obama never said this supposed quote, and he’s no socialist. Calling him such is a weak and pathetic attempt to drum up the support of other weak minded fools.

August 29, 2008 at 12:04 pm
(17) JDM says:

Not that it makes a difference, but the truth is this:

On Hussein Obama’s own website, right now, you can find the following statements he gave in 2007 when he officially announced his intention to seek the office.

“For that is our unyielding faith – that in the face of impossible odds, people who love their country can change it.”

“Not just to hold an office, but to gather with you to transform a nation.”

I’m sure to the bleating sheep these flowery hope and change platitudes are nice. In effect, he’s saying “I love this country – let’s change it”. Wuh?!?

Here’s the link to his statement:

September 14, 2008 at 6:33 pm
(18) kat in your hat says:

Sorry, but this author is wrong, I actually SAW and HEARD Obama say this line, and he has said it a few times actually.

I am one of those political junkies who has paid close attention to this race for over a year now.

OH, ha ha, this article is from March, during “Obama-Mania” when half the country was high on Obama dope.

Never mind. None of the news was accurate then.

September 24, 2008 at 4:45 am
(19) Andy says:

Link please to prove Obama said it.

October 3, 2008 at 8:59 pm
(20) RalphC says:

Fact: The US is the greatest nation ever.
Fact: Obama has promised many times to change it.

October 25, 2008 at 10:57 am
(21) catdancr6 says:

RalphC:

Opinion: The US is the greatest nation ever. (Just because I myself agree doesn’t make it a FACT).

Fact: Obama has promised many times to change our ECONOMIC and HEALTHCARE crises.

Nuff said.

November 17, 2009 at 7:52 pm
(22) dave says:

my opinion of obama has not changed much, i didn’t think much of him when he first came on the sceen. i would also like to know what he has to hide? why has he spent millions to keep his records sealed away?

November 20, 2009 at 6:48 pm
(23) Man in Black says:

Psalm 109:8 says; “May his days be few: may another take his office”
The scarier one is Psalm 109:9; “May his children be fatherless and his wife be widowed”
Prayer is powerful, but be careful or what you pray for.
No, I don’t want Joey in that office, either!

January 13, 2010 at 11:19 am
(24) ecgberht says:

It appears the the original quote is, in fact, mis-attributed to him. However, one thing I can tell you he DID say; during the campaign it was the mantra of John McCain that “change is coming to Washington”. But Obama never said that. Instead, he always said, “Change is coming to America”. And he meant it. That is why it amazes me that those who voted for him are so surprised by his progressive, socialist agenda. He’s only doing what he said he would do. Why didn’t you hear him? To those of you who voted for this man, I ask you … happy now?

June 25, 2010 at 11:55 am
(25) Bill K. says:

Ah, the truth is hard to find after 2 years. But Mr. Emery, I saw a video of Obama making that statement. At the time I thought he meant to make it better. Sadly, we now see he meant to tear down the very structure of America and replace it with his version. Like the saying goes, “Fool me once…”

November will be here soon.

July 31, 2010 at 10:43 pm
(26) sk1951 says:

Like hell he did not!!!! I watched it!!!!

November 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm
(27) cat says:

Well folks, It’s NOV 2011. How do you like ozombo’s hope and change now?

February 23, 2012 at 10:16 am
(28) Loy says:

It’s true. I saw a video of him speaking to a Union group making this statement.

October 5, 2013 at 11:53 am
(29) Roy says:

I’m with Karen Bishop; I too watched these words come out of his mouth. I was beside myself with rage at his statement. yes it is hard to find proof after this crook from Chicago recognizes his mistakes and the media covers it all up! He is destroying this country, and media and ignorant people who are on the take;welfare, food stamps and the rest are to blame!

October 15, 2013 at 10:19 am
(30) Saber 6 says:

The other may not be a quote, but it is a paraphrase for what Obama actually DID say:

February 14, 2014 at 9:10 am
(31) William Smith says:

What Obama actually said:
I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people… I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal… This was the moment — this was the time — when we came together to remake this great nation

Slightly different wording…same meaning. Although you did provide the Mark Steyn link, you could have pointed this out directly in your article, Mr. Emery