Mr. Beatie -- formerly Ms. Lagondino -- is a transgender person, born female, who had his outward features medically altered to achieve a more masculine appearance but kept his reproductive organs intact. He claims he became pregnant five months ago via artificial insemination. Some folks have expressed skepticism, and even one of Beatie's own neighbors in Bend, Oregon has been quoted as saying he suspects the pregnancy is a hoax. According to an obstetrician interviewed on "Good Morning America," however, transgender males can indeed become pregnant. Word has it Mr. Beatie will reveal ultrasound pictures on the Oprah Winfrey Show on Thursday, April 3 to prove he really is having a baby (see preview).
In 2000, as you may recall, artist Lee Mingwei laid claim to being the world's first pregnant man. It -- his claim, I mean -- proved to be illegitimate.
• Report: 'Pregnant Man' Gives Birth to Girl - July 3, 2008
Sound Off: Is the world ready for a pregnant man?
1) Yes. 2) No. 3) Undecided.
Read more about it:
• It's My Right to Have Kid, Pregnant Man Tells Oprah - ABC News
• 'Pregnant' Man Reveals Ultrasound to Oprah - Daily Telegraph
• Oregon's Pregnant Man Will Be on Oprah - Oregonian
• Is the Pregnant Man Thomas Beatie a Hoax for April Fools' Day? - The Mirror (U.K.)
• Pregnant Man: Real or Hoax? - LiveScience.com
• Oregon Man Says He's Pregnant - CNN
• Transgender Man Says He's Pregnant - ABC News
• Labor of Love - The Advocate
• Lee Mingwei - World's First Human Male Pregnancy - Urban Legends