1. News & Issues

David Emery

Of Chemtrails and Conspiracy Theories

By July 1, 2008

Image credit: Wilfried Krecichwost / Getty ImagesThe Abilene Reporter-News just ran a special feature on chemtrails -- in conspiracy lore, a malevolent form of contrail (jet airplane condensation trail) consisting of chemicals dispersed on purpose into the atmosphere to effect weather change, population control, biological weapons testing, or all three -- inspired by the current popularity of a scaremongering YouTube video entitled "Danger in the Sky - The Chemtrail Phenomenon."

Despite being dismissed as a "hoax" by the U.S. Air Force, chemtrail conspiracy theories have persisted since the mid-1990s, thanks in large part to the Internet rumor mill. Proponents, including McBreen, say the anomalous aerial phenomena observed in connection with alleged high-altitude chemical spraying simply can't be explained in terms of standard jet airplane condensation trails. The Air Force and other skeptics beg to differ. Some even describe the theories as "paranoid."

In a sidebar to the Reporter-News story, Penn State folklorist Bill Ellis likens conspiracy theories in general to the pseudoscientific concept of intelligent design. Both proceed, Ellis says, from the assumption that "the world that we see is not a complex system of random or near-random events," but rather a product of the machinations of unseen forces -- in the case of chemtrails, "a group of very clever, evil people who are working behind the scenes."

Ironically, notes Ellis, the broad dissemination of conspiracy theories via the Internet may ultimately weaken their impact rather than strengthen it. Traditionally such knowledge was regarded as arcane, circulating via "tight-knit conduits" among like-minded readers, and was even held to be dangerous. "On the other hand," Ellis told the Reporter-News -- and some of you who clicked on the link above may find this comforting -- "if you spread the knowledge around, the government can't kill everybody who watches a YouTube piece."

Read more about it:
Danger in the Sky - The Chemtrail Phenomenon - YouTube video by Darrin McBreen
Abilene Man Warns About the Dangers of 'Chemtrails' - Abilene Reporter-News
Researcher: Contrails May Cause Problems - Abilene Reporter-News
Conspiracy Theories: Making Order Out of Disorder - Abilene Reporter-News
Chemtrails - Skeptic's Dictionary
Contrails Facts - U.S. Air Force

Comments

July 4, 2008 at 2:07 pm
(1) rj says:

Mr. Emery would be doing a better service if he investigated this more thoroughly. I’ve seen CHEMtrails laid down in tic-tac-toe formation, as well as in a “cent” symbol formation, and in places where there are no “flight patterns” or “delayed Christmas traffic”(as explained by the FAA.) There have been tests performed on the materials in these CHEMtrails. It is some nasty stuff. Things humans should not be ingesting or breathing.

July 4, 2008 at 3:07 pm
(2) cj says:

What are you sources for the “tests” done on these materials?

Spare me from rumorscience.

September 25, 2011 at 5:28 pm
(3) LELS says:

The sources are insomnia and an over active imagination. I fel the same way you do cj. Spare me the rumorscience.

July 8, 2008 at 8:02 am
(4) vm says:

Some people can find a conspiracy about a penny laying on the sidewalk!

September 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm
(5) LELS says:

I totally agree with you vm. Some people just have too much time on their hands and therefore they make themselves paranoid by buying into these, and other scare tactics. If allowed to , they can freak over anything. I have known a conspiracy theorist myself and they are quite annoying because they feel the need to hate and fear anything. It is always best to be a little skeptical than paranoid.

July 10, 2008 at 1:18 pm
(6) Joneser says:

The entire “chemtrail” paranoia is a figment of the internet’s imagination. It is built upon and entirely, utterly false premise- as stated here by the Abilene articles subject:

“A normal contrail “is supposed to dissipate over 30 seconds to three minutes,” McBreen said.”

This is simply false.

Most contrails do dissipate quickly. However, some contrails persist for hours and days…and even spread out into sheets of cirrus clouds. This has been observed, studied and understood for over 50 years. “Chemtrail” believers refuse to acknowledge this or even do to research on known contrail behavior…its been studied by scientists around the World….but “chemtrailers” continue to believe the lie that any contrail that doesn’t dissipate quickly is a “chemtrail”.

Its not hard to find out the true behavior of contrails…”normal” contrails- Just research:

supersaturated persistent contrail

and

contrail cirrus.

Persistent contrails have been around since WW2-

Just googling “chemtrails” leads one into a vast sea of speculation based on ignorance. Not a good recipe for truth.

See here for more info:

September 25, 2011 at 5:32 pm
(7) LELS says:

Could not have said it better myself Joneser.

July 11, 2008 at 9:06 am
(8) Anonymous says:

for some reason, when the words ‘conspiracy theories’ are mentioned, the rational mind shuts down. and your heading is a fine intro to narrowing the conversation to the smallest box possible. without looking at the real experiences of what people have seen, the HAARP technology of the military, and documented illnesses connected to what these jets are laying down.
here’s a site with over ten years of research.
check out who comes to visit this site: the military entities that toss it off as a hoax, paranoid, etc.
from your links, it’s obvious that you didn’t get far into the chemtrail research. but, then your site is called ‘urban legends’… you’re very clever, but not very wise.

October 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm
(9) Yet Another Anonymous says:

I was just about to type the same sentiment (that the mere use of the words “conspiracy theory” shuts most peoples’ intellect off).

“Conspiracy theory” might as well be a fnord since it’s so effective it shutting down thought.

August 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm
(10) Craven Morehead says:

Considering contrails were common with high flying B-17 and B-29 bombers during WWII the disinformation about chemtrails is totally absurd disinformation disseminated by paranoid psychotics in need of massive doses of thorazine.

See pics of WWII bombers leaving contrails here:

Too bad the chemtrail conspiracy is utter nonsense because the overpopulated planet is in need of a serious thinning.

January 4, 2009 at 6:53 pm
(11) loggerhead says:

Yeah Chemtrails are nothing neither is
De-pleated Uranium. Your government loves you. Drink your fluoride, you are getting very sleepy. You’re government loves you and is doing everything for your benefit. When you wake up you won’t remember a thing, your government loves you. Everything will be OK!
your money does have value.

January 9, 2010 at 12:49 am
(12) Ron Johnson says:

—–Original Message—–
From: mfadman@aol.com
Subject: SERIOUS, PLEASE READ

You may think me an old senile coot but this is some very disturbing information our government is not telling us. Morning, Noon and early Evening white trails (chem trails) criss-crossing in the sky, I have moderate to serious COPD and today I was effected to the point I had no energy, my breathing was raspy I had to use my Combivent and breathing treatment (Xponix) just to get myself back to where I could breath. I have noticed these trails for some time…thought nothing about it until it started to affect my breathing and my health, this really ticked me off and I started to do some research and what I am sending you is a very disturbing warning, we all need to copy this and sent it to our state representatives as many times as you can, this needs to be looked into. I don’t know if it our government or whos government doing this but it has to be looked at. The planes spraying this are very large white with no markings. They fly 3,000 to 3,500 feet and can’t be identified from the ground..This is being done all over the world, not just here in .America. Canada, Australia, England, Ireland, Scotland, Europe, Middle East, Japan, China need I go on. Go on line and check out Chem Trails,com it will scare the shit out of you, what I am sending is just an excerpt of something I found. If your life is as precious as mine…Please pass this on It is importantt!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ron Johnson

ChemTrails – 80% population reduction of earth ?????
This page takes 3 minutes to fully load – lots of info here
See the full report and pictures at

LIFE IN THE TIME OF CHEMTRAILS 1997-2009: YOU ARE NOW BREATHING
ETHYLENE DIBROMIDE, NANO-PARTICULATES OF ALUMINUM AND BARIUM AND
CATIONIC POLYMER FIBERS WITH UNIDENTIFIED BIOACTIVE MATERIAL: We the
people have not been warned, advised or consulted but are certainly
vulnerable to the outcomes.” Lightwatcher.com “Biologic components
have been reported in airborne samples that include: modified molds,
desiccated red blood cells and exotic strains of bacteria”
Additionally, award winning investigative reporter, Will Thomas, has
reported findings of over 300 types of virally mutated fungi in the
chemtrail fall out. The Idaho Observer has reported findings of 26
metals including barium, aluminum and uranium, a variety of infectious
pathogens and chemicals and drugs including sedatives in chemtrail
fallout. Dr.R. Michael Castle reports the finding of cationic polymer
fibers. Dr Hildegarde Staninger and Dr. Rahim Karjoom have reported
findings of tiny parasitic nematode eggs of some type encased in the
fibers. Additionally Drs. Staninger and Karjoom have reported findings
of self-replicating nano-machines and rivers of silicon running wild
through the bodies of the Morgellons infected. Researcher Clifford
Carnicom has reported finding chemtrails fibers that are an exact
match with the bizarre fibers found in those suffering from Morgellons
Disease. Welcome to the brave new world of toxic skies, weather
control, mind control and population control through the use of
chemtrails modulated with electromagnetic frequencies generated by
HAARP. Our health is under attack as evidenced by the skyrocketing
rates of chemtrail induced lung cancer, asthma and
pulmonary/respiratory problems as well as the emergence of a bizarre
and frightening new plague, Morgellons Disease, an infection with a
previously unknown agent that appears to be a synthesis of a bio lab
created pathogen combined with self-replicating nano-technology. Over
60,000 families in the U.S. are now infected with Morgellons. I am one
of the infected. My health and the health of my family has already
been drastically affected. There is a main-stream media blackout on
this subject so the only way to get the word out is by word of mouth.
Realized or not people are already dying from chemtrail related
illnesses. People are dying from Morgellons Disease. During this time
of chemtrails a shocking drop in general life expectancy in the U.S.has occurred. This situation presents an immediate and serious threatto you, your family and loved ones.

June 1, 2011 at 1:21 pm
(13) Evidence please says:

Despite your suggestion that there is a media blackout, I found a wealth of information and references to mainstream media news stories regarding Morgellons. I’m sure you are aware of the Mayo Clinic study published last month that studied skin samples from patients supposedly suffering from Morgellons and found no evidence of this Morgellons disease. I’m very sorry, because I believe you have very real physical and emotional symptoms, but I believe these symptoms are completely unrelated to “chemtrails” or Morgellons.

May 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm
(14) RT says:

I was a Meteorology Major in college I mentioned this to the head of our department. He said pretty much what Joneser says in his comments. Chemtrails are not real. If they were and were actually changing weather our models would not work correctly. Meteorology models are very advanced now a days. If the Chem trails really were messing with the weather the Models would be completely wrong almost all the time and in reality we can forecast weather very accurately out to 3 days and and still pretty accurate out to a week.

September 15, 2010 at 3:14 am
(15) Steve Kasian says:

Sorry RT… unfortunately that’s not going to be good enough for a conspiracy theorist’s mind, as the head of your “department” works for a college (who in turn works for the Bilderberg Group and Trilateral Commission, behind the scenes) and “Meteorological models” created by the “National” Weather Service (which is a department of the “Government”) are made to go hand-in-hand with the “chem-trail project”, so nobody will know what’s going on.

Conspiracy theories are like a cancer eating away at society. The condition is, quite literally, a thought disease. There are no rational bases for the belief in this particular theory other than the simple fact that every one of these believers tends to be angry at the “government” in some way, angry at the world for the ailments life has thrown at them, and/or are simply intent on questioning literally every single part and parcel of information that comes their way, no matter how reputable and/or qualified the source of said information.

We all get old and we all pay prices later on in life for our youthful indescretions. We all get sick. We all succumb to disease of one form or another in our lives. Getting old physically sucks. Life might be grand but our bodies get fuct. There are far more important “conspiracies” that are REAL, which we truly need to be worried about:

just to name a couple of the many.

March 27, 2011 at 12:45 am
(16) ed says:

Wow, people are clueless, no doubt somebody is
spraying something. THe planes are even camoflauged white and fly in military formation. WHAT COMMERCIAL PLANE FLIES PARALLEL TO THE HORIZON??

March 27, 2011 at 12:54 am
(17) ED says:

I see multiple planes in military formation, that look nothing like commercial airplanes. i live near philly airport. What i see are not commercial planes.
THey are smaller and flying at a level altitude spraying something.
They are usually white to blend in with the clouds,
sometimes they are transparent, most people dont take a second glance at the sky. I have no idea if its a conspiracy, but I cant deny what my eyes see.

April 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm
(18) vepxistqaosani says:

Uh … all of them, ed. In fact, it’s not possible for a plane, commercial or otherwise, not to fly parallel to the horizon from the point of view of some observer.

At least, not on spherical planets — but perhaps the whole ’round earth’ thing is yet another clever ploy by the conspiracists? Yes, that’s it! Wake up, sheeple: The Earth is flat!

February 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm
(19) Perry Duquette says:

Chemtrails” what are they? Who’s behind it? What is the government up to?

OK! WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE? DOES ANYONE NOTICE WHAT’S GOING ON ALMOST EVERY DAY AND NIGHT OVER THEIR HEADS AND RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES?

DID YOU KNOW THAT WE ARE UNDER ATTACK BY A YET TO BE KNOWN GOVERNMENT SECTOR?

WHAT IS KNOWN FOR SURE IS THAT, THE SPRAYING OF HIGHLY TOXIC POISONS GOING ON WORLD WIDE ON DAILY BASIS IS DEADLY FOR HUMANS, ANIMALS AND PLANTS. IN SPITE OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE PROTESTING AGAINST THE CHEMTRAIL ATTACKS SET IN MOTION, AND COUNTLESS WEB SITES, HOLLYWOOD, MOVIE STARS, FAMOUS RECORDING ARTIST ARE TRYING TO STOP THE SPRAYING VIA THOUSANDS OF JETS FLYING OVER OUR HEADS…NOTHING IS STOPPING IT ? THE QUESTION IS…WHY?

WELL IT’S TIME TO FIGHT BACK!

PROJECT COUNTERCHEM ATTACK WILL INITIATE AND LAUNCH OUR FIRST ISSUE WITH AN IN-DEPTH LOOK AT THE W-5’S OF IT ALL. THIS WILL NOT BE AN EASY TASK, AND WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT CAUSE THE ULTIMATE RIPPLE EFFECT THAT WILL SET OFF THE DOMINO EFFECT WHICH WILL PROBABLY LEAD TO THE USUAL BACK DRAFT FROM THE CULPRITS BEHIND IT ALL. HAVE DECIDED THAT IF SOMEONE IS KILLING ME…I WILL AT THE VERY LEAST PUT UP A FIGHT! THEREFORE I HAVE CHOSEN TO LAUNCH COUNTERCHEM ATTACK TO FIGHT BACK VIA THE MOST POWERFUL TOOL OF ALL…MEDIA! IF OUR MAINSTREAM MEDIA HAS NO ROCKS TO DO IT…WELL SOMEONE HAS TOO. TO ALL THOSE WHO WISH TO FIGHT BACK…GO TO http://WWW.CANARTPRESSMEDIA.ORG

TALK IS CHEAP…YOUR VOICE MEANS ACTIONS

March 7, 2012 at 2:09 pm
(20) Andrew says:

Points against chemtrails:

1. The skies today are filled with airplanes flying in every direction. The criss crossing patterns or tic tac toe appearance is simply from the immense number of flights flying, especially near larger cities.

2. Contrails can remain in the air for long periods of time and form cirrus type clouds. This is natural. Furthermore, the appearance of contrails differs depending on atmospheric conditions. They can appear ragged, dense, sparse, intermittent, crooked, etc.

3. Atmospheric phenomena can create interesting affects and illusions in the sky. A person looking through air pollution, for example, may see strange cloud colours or “effects.”

4. Alleged tests of high levels of toxic chemicals found near houses could be from multiple sources including car traffic or industrial facilities. Smoke stacks from pulp mills etc contain chemicals that can end up in someone’s backyard. We are already living in a polluted environment.

5. Some military aircraft have turboprop engines that leave long trails of exhaust behind visible for miles.

6. What would be the purpose of spraying chemicals at such a high altitude? Any chemicals sprayed at that altitude would quickly dissipate and disperse over a very wide area with a very LOW amount per km on the ground. Imagine how much would be required for any drastic effect?

May 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm
(21) John says:

What sampling media and methods were used for these chemtrail samples? Did the people conducting the sampling know what they were looking for? What lab analyzed the samples?
First off there is naturally occuring bacteria, mold, and pollen that is ALWAYS in the air we breathe. And if you take an air sample with a GCMS you will find various naturally occuring chemical compounds. Spraying any type of chemical at the altitudes required for contrails (26000ft and higher) would be inneffective at best. The sunlight, moisture, and wind would break down the chemicals long before they reached the surface.

June 5, 2012 at 10:35 pm
(22) J Spivey says:

You all are more than welcome in our nation of freedom to say think whatever you like about chemtrails, and base it on whatever sources you believe to be correct. Based on my experience, I have it on very good authority what is going on up in the skies. Just the other day I encountered Elvis on the street. I asked him what he thought about the airplane trails in the sky. He responded by saying, “Well darling it’s not only true that the clouds, in the sky, contain chemicals, but in fact, the sky is, falling, and I know of a great little motel just right around the corner, where we can talk about it, and I can explain it all to you. Well I hesitated, at first, but he was kind and reassuring, so I went along with him. In no time at all he opened my mind, and my eyes to what is really happening. The earth moved, and then the sky opened up with blazing stars. I owe it all to the King. You may say it was just my imagination, or that I am delusional, but I know what I believe, and what I believe is real, and true. Thank you, thank you very much. We love you Memphis!

October 19, 2012 at 12:25 am
(23) Irene says:

Chemtrails are good for us

April 3, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(24) Christine Eve Lee says:

We are permitted to believe whatever we want. Some people used to believe that throwing people into volcano’s would stop it from erupting.

You believe in some government entity that exists, that is not filled with human beings who have families, and are monsters who would willynilly throw chemicals all over America. That’s fine. Your looney brain can thank that all you want.

I KNOW that the military and the government is made up of military people WITH FAMILIES and loved ones who are stationed ALL OVER AMERICA and wouldn’t poison their friends and families.

Maybe what you’re saying when you say all that is, YOU”D POISON people all over America if you had the chance.

My family is a family of pilots. Your BS chemtrail story is BS.

Why not take a look at what it takes to do simple cropdusting? The parts per billion of chemical necessary to do that kind of damage would not be isolated to just one region. Millions of people would just DROP DEAD not be “a little sick.”

By the way, I lived overseas with no Fluoride in the water. It SUCKED. I added fluoride to my water so my teeth would stop rotting out of my head. I came home to the USA with 12,000 dollars of dental work I had to have done over a 3 year period. Yes, I brushed but I was born with little or no enamel on my teeth.

What a bunch of crap. But, that’s what you get when you let crazy people have unfettered access to the Internet.

April 4, 2013 at 4:47 pm
(25) Ryez says:

For those that still think this is a myth, here’s a link to a company that seeds clouds for weather modification purposes. They are a dime a dozen these days.

April 4, 2013 at 4:53 pm
(26) Ryez says:
November 3, 2013 at 3:31 am
(27) Donna Researcher says:

I wanted to add some important information about the origins of Morgollens disease. It is cause by GMOs. Produce, crops, and other foods genetically spliced at the dna level with live organisms which can be of bacterial, viral, or pesticidal (chemical) origin. Nobody will admit to the origin of this hideous truth but I’m 100% convinced after researching GMOs and their effects on animal and human bodies for over 6 years that this and many other new diseases are caused by GMO-laced foods. Genetically Modified Organisms are not necessary but are actually part of an outrageously sounding agenda by some very real psychotic-minded world leaders. Ted Turner was on Charlie Rose and announced he’d like to see the worlds 6.8 billion population be drastically lowered to preferrably only 300 million. He isn’t the only one. These rich elite tend to think of you and I as expendable and their goal is to compromise the human immune system enough so that they can introduce a lethal pandemic in order to kill off their ideal number of people in order to keep their renewable resources to themselves. They have announced, documented, and even made memorials stating that they want to depopulate the earth down to 300-500 million people.

November 3, 2013 at 3:31 am
(28) Donna Researcher says:

PT 2 One way they are attempting this hard-to-believe goal is through the deceptive practices of GMO’s and UHT dairy products. UHT is a new pasteurization process that kills all the healthy enzymes in dairy and allows for a shelf-life of 9 months without refrigeration. It also compromises the human immune system causing allergies to even the most simplest foods such as coffee, sugar (sucrose), wheat, etc. So please, stop wondering where Morgollens comes from already. It comes from GMOs and needs to be stopped. People need to know the truth about what GMOs are doing to us! They have stepped it up, don’t you think we should too? BTW, GMO crops are contagious to non-GMO crops by way of pollen, wind, birds, and insects. We must stop this nonsense before it’s too late!

February 16, 2014 at 3:50 pm
(29) Ben W. says:

Nice try,rationalists and disinformation hucksters,but we know better.Chemtrail aerosol programs ARE a reality.I wish they werent,for all of our sakes,but they are.There has been considerable effort and money put into keeping people in the dark about the deliberate and dangerous alteration of our life-giving atmosphere for the benefit of many special interests.And while i recognize that there may have been some fantastical theories put forth about the phenomenon,the core claims are true and easily verifiable with a little research.We are talking conspiracy fact here,not theory.Use your eyes and do your own investigation.Do these people really expect us to believe that these are contrails when they are forming under conditions which dont support them? The “chembows” are another giveaway.If it were water vapor,we would expect to see the more familiar colors one observes after a rainshower,not the yellow/brown oily mess we see with chemtrail aerosols.Laughing and poking fun at concerned and thoughtful people and calling them paranoid,regardless of the subject,has always been the practice of those desperate to keep people oblivious to the dangers all around them.

March 21, 2014 at 6:53 am
(30) CB says:

Ben W’s comment offers evidence that these “chem-trails” have another hidden yet hideous effect: The deletion of spaces after punctuation. What else could explain it?

April 21, 2014 at 7:25 am
(31) DIMOJABE says:

Dear Mr. Emery,

I didn’t believe it either. I have a science based degree. I survived pre-med science classes – a lot of them and more.

Unfortunately, all you really need is an understanding of patent searches, a brief history of weather modification, some idea how HAARP works, and the cojones to take yourself to a lab and get your blood/hair tested for heavy metals.

So, with all of your efforts above: Good Luck With That.

April 29, 2014 at 8:57 pm
(32) RAD says:

Somewhere, someone is laughing his A$$ off because he has been able to get believers this “chem-trail” nonsense.