1. News & Issues

David Emery

Woman Says Snakes Poured from Faucet; Officials Skeptical

By September 16, 2008

Elena Trowell of Ocean Ridge, Florida had just climbed into the bathtub when she thought she saw a dark shape slip out of the spigot. Then she thought she felt something brush her toes. When she looked to see what it was, she found herself face-to-face with "the stuff of urban legend," writes Michael LaForgia of the Palm Beach Post.

"A skinny, foot-long snake had fallen from the faucet to her bathwater, Trowell said, dismissing the opinions of utilities officials and animal experts who called such a thing impossible."

When Trowell and her boyfriend returned to the bathroom after hunting for a container to capture the home invader, they found a second, larger snake had joined it.

None of which sits well with the water department, whose response, as indicated above, was unequivocal: "It's impossible for snakes to come out of a faucet."

Full story...

Keep up with Urban Legends on Facebook!

Comments

September 16, 2008 at 3:02 pm
(1) Ammy says:

It came form her bathroom drain….then she went to the petstore to buy supplies to keep them as pets? ……am I the only person who would have atleast tried to get some wild animal authority to come make sure these things wont kill me?…or did I miss the ‘got the snakes checked out’ part as I seem to have habit for missing the most important part of the paragraph….

September 16, 2008 at 3:36 pm
(2) ELENA says:

I did I called animal control.. they will not come if it was inside your home. I called the water co. no ans. bc it was sunday! I called the police dept. and they said throw it out. When the 2nd came flowing out I knew it was REALLY ODD!! It came from the Faucet. not the drain… I seen it/ felt it! The drain has a cover over it. They could not have came through a window. bc there is a 6 ft sliding bath tub door, into the tub they couldnt get out of then up the drain… Please EXPLAIN

September 16, 2008 at 4:12 pm
(3) Lynne says:

I think it was smart of her to keep the snakes because if I lived in that area I would want to know what they were incase this happened to me. Also the city needs to inspect this because if it were an elderly person it could have given them a heartattack or what if it was a child??? Glad you are ok Elena! I know I would have killed myself trying to get out of the tub!

September 17, 2008 at 6:53 am
(4) Josh says:

Lynne: Be reasonable, ELENA is NOT the Elena from the UL, just another poster, acting crazy! Have you actually seen the path a snake (or any animal) would have to take to get through and out your faucet? If so, you know it is not surprising that local authorities dismissed her claim. It would be impossible – END OF STORY!

September 19, 2008 at 8:43 am
(5) jcroentgen says:

When I was a kid the next door neighbor came screaming over that a snake came through her faucet in the kitchen. My Dad went over and removed it. Of course those were simpler times. The neighbor was on well water that was pumped from a cistern into the kitchen with a small pump handle on the side of the sink.

September 19, 2008 at 12:32 pm
(6) Miss Lynx says:

Ammy – it does say that they were eventually identified as being “probably corn snakes”, but it’s not very clear on when that happened.

If they were corn snakes, it means they most likely were pets that escaped from another apartment – corn snakes are one of the most common varieties kept as pets, and you can get them from any pet store that deals with reptiles at all. They’re also pretty easy to recognize if you’re familiar with snake markings at all, and completely harmless unless you happen to be a very small mouse.

How they could get into a faucet I have no idea – but if they were somewhere else like inside the wall (possible if there were any holes in the wall anywhere), I could see them being drawn toward the bathtub because they like heat, and they could have fallen in by accident.

September 20, 2008 at 10:15 am
(7) ChrissieNJ says:

Oh Elena! That had to be a horrifying experience! It must have been even worse for no one to believe you. It sure is a mind-boggler to wonder how they got in there. My only thought is that maybe they had crawled up there to sleep, and came out once the water was on. It’s funny to me that they are corn snakes. They are considered endangered in my area. Enjoy your new pets!