1. News & Issues

David Emery

Urban Legends: The True Meaning of 'Dork'

By May 5, 2009

Whale
Cameron Spencer / Getty Images

Attention Internet: The word dork does NOT mean whale penis!

(UPDATED) In spite of what you're apt to read on any of over 10,000 web pages, the word dork does not mean (and has never meant) whale penis. I defy those who claim it does to show it defined as such in any respectable dictionary past or present, or used as such in any reference work or novel about whales or whaling published since, well, the dawn of publishing. (Please note that this article was first posted in May 2009 and no one has produced said proof to date.)

Though its precise origins remain somewhat obscure, etymologists generally agree that dork — typically defined as "a stupid, foolish, or inept person" — has only been in common usage since the 1960s, and is most likely a variant of dick — which is, in fact, a slang term for penis, but not specifically that of a whale.

The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English (2007) defines it thus:

dork noun 1 the penis US, 1961. 2 a socially inept, unfashionable, harmless person US, 1964.

As in every other source I've checked — including the ultimate authority on English word origins, The Oxford English Dictionary — there is no mention of whales. None.

For good measure, I posed the question to several whale experts — including Professor C. Scott Baker of the OSU Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife, John Calambokidis, senior research biologist and co-founder of Cascadia Research, Phillip Clapham of the National Marine Mammal Laboratory, and author Richard Ellis (The Book of Whales, Men and Whales, Encyclopedia of the Sea, etc.) — all of whom told me they had never seen nor heard the word dork used in reference to a whale's reproductive anatomy. Ever.

More adventures in epithetymology:
   • Origin of the F-Word: "Fornication Under Consent of the King"
   • Origin of the S-Word: "Ship High in Transit"
   • Origin of The Finger: "Plucking Yew"

In answer to various commenters (see below) who've tried to rebut these findings by arguing that if enough people use the word dork to mean "whale penis" then it's a valid definition, here's what's wrong with that argument: the phenomenon we're discussing isn't people using the word that way — nobody really does — it's people claiming that dork means "whale penis" on the basis of no empirical evidence whatsoever. It's just another false Internet factoid.

All of which is by way of saying that if you ask me, the rightful definition of a dork is the sort of person who would make up something like this: Why Is the Ocean Salty? Whale Sperm!

More on the definition and etymology of dork:
WordOrigins.org
Merriam-Webster Dictionary
MSN Encarta Dictionary

Comments

September 20, 2009 at 3:14 pm
(1) AlliBoy says:

Ahhh Ha! I knew that dork had only one real meaning… Very funny explanation by the way. Only a real dork would consider a “dork” to mean whale phallus. I concur!

November 14, 2011 at 3:14 am
(2) Bdiscountsectional Sofasx says:

You concur?? Only a dork would use the word “concur”.

October 15, 2009 at 12:39 am
(3) Barbara says:

Better check all your dictionaries again. My sister in law used to call her son a “dork”. So one day he looked it up in the dictionary at school. He came home crying “Mom you’re calling me a whale penis:”

August 9, 2011 at 2:08 pm
(4) brett says:

What a movement! It would have been real surprise to your sister in law.

October 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm
(5) Marcel says:

I suppose, Barbara, that he also told you that he looked up “gullible” in the dictionary but it isn’t there — and you believed him about that too.

October 30, 2009 at 9:46 am
(6) Junius says:

I’ve got news for you: “Dork” originated in the late 1940′s/early 1950′s in Detroit, Michigan. The actual definition is: a guy who sneaks around sniffing girl’s bicycle seats. (Which proves that bizarre, vulgar and outlandish thinking and behavior did not suddenly spring into being in the 1960′s….)

November 20, 2009 at 2:55 pm
(7) Ronald Vaughan says:

After seeing the Michigan comment,it suddenly
occurred to me: could this word possibly mean,
“Dumb Or Retarded Kid”? LOL!!

But I myself go with the “clumsy” or “inept”
definition….

December 4, 2009 at 12:31 pm
(8) Alicia says:

Someone better go change the biology books at my old high school, because that’s where I saw the word “dork” with a line next to it connecting it to a drawing of a whale. Incidentally, the line ended at the whale’s phallus.

October 15, 2011 at 11:39 pm
(9) Jenny says:

I agree. That’s exactly where I remember seeing it too.

November 15, 2011 at 9:44 pm
(10) Susal says:

Yes, I learned it in biology class, too! It was in 7th grade and we were studying reproduction and we were watching a video explaining different types of animals’ reproductive systems and for the whale, it specifically named the whale penis as “dork.” This was in about 1985.

December 7, 2009 at 2:49 pm
(11) alejandra says:

i used to feel special when my friends used to call me a dork…when i looked it up i felt so embarrassed…lol

December 9, 2009 at 5:02 pm
(12) Mike says:

FYI – During an epidode of “Ripleys Believe it or not” They had a 7 foot long whale penis and YES referred to it as a dork. So, producers, writers, researchers must have all got it wrong….NOT!

June 16, 2011 at 1:08 pm
(13) Roy says:

… and the earth is the center of the universe because they all said so.

August 16, 2011 at 6:34 am
(14) benjamin says:

I saw it in peson at the ripleys belive it or not in hollywood and also in london the ting was as big as i and it was called a DORK.

December 15, 2009 at 10:50 pm
(15) Harriet says:

Wow this is amazing so many translations of Dork, but i’ve always known that it had to mean something stupit, coz the work sounds stupit.

September 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(16) Mike says:

The glaring punctuation, capitalization and spelling errors in your post only serve to illustrate exactly how much you should know about being “stupit,” you stupid dork.

January 13, 2010 at 8:46 pm
(17) Carie says:

Okay…so I was just told the other day that a dork is a “whale penis,” which upset me very much because it is one of my favorite names to call someone, and i didn’t want to be using it incorrectly. So I did some research. Guess what DORKS, the only place it was defined as a whale penis was at a website called urban dictionary…hmmm, doesn’t sound very credible, does it now. It is sometimes defined as a penis, but here’s the kicker, every definition says it is slang. And what does that mean…it has no scientific nor anatomical definition…someone made it up, and it stuck. So there you have, mystery solved.

January 18, 2011 at 2:09 am
(18) Doc says:

Lots of words in our language started as slang.

February 17, 2010 at 11:31 am
(19) Philip says:

Why don’t some of the pro-anatomical vernacular people post a link, or least offer a reference? I can’t find a reference besides urban-dictionary, which specifically deals with slang terms, and I’ve seen a number of posts claiming it never meant “whale penis”, nothing in support of the usage, certainly nothing scientific…. The first time I heard of a whale’s penis being referred to as a “dork” was by my girlfriend, who was reading Christopher Moore’s novel, “Fluke”, at the time.

February 25, 2010 at 11:18 pm
(20) Sonya Gowan says:

When I was a teen (in the 80′s), my mother told me to stop using the word “dork” because it meant “whale penis”. I didn’t believe her and looked it up in the dictionary at my school’s library and found the definition to be: a whale penis. Sorry I never knew what dictionary I found it in, but I do know what I read.

January 18, 2011 at 2:11 am
(21) Doc says:

So the conclusion is they decided to drop that part of the definition?

April 15, 2010 at 12:22 am
(22) antman says:

But the word “dork” is used in the movie “Grease”. Surely that’s irrefutable proof that the word was in use prior to the 1960s. ;)

April 16, 2010 at 5:04 pm
(23) rick says:

Grease came out in the late 1970s you “dork”.

June 28, 2010 at 11:04 am
(24) Tony says:

Actually the Merriam Webster dictionary on m-w.com DID used to have its etymology of dork listed as a “whale penis” and has since changed to “perhaps alteration of dick”. I looked it up the other day (A few years after) and it was changed. I used to show people that I wasn’t kidding by pointing them t

August 12, 2010 at 5:01 pm
(25) dk says:

I thought a dork was someone who farts in the bathtub and eats the bubbles.

August 15, 2010 at 11:46 am
(26) jackie says:

Sorry i’ve been studing marine biology and your wrong .Dork is the definition too a blue whales penis…I take my study pretty serious ..And maybe school is not the best for some…It doesnt go in many dictionaries do too the slang of the word..How many slang words do you see in a dictionary ..mmhmmm..Well either way i study it so i should know it…Get it straight ..or dont say it at all….Wow the ignorence of swome lacking conceded people…Guess old age really does mess with brain cells.

September 21, 2011 at 6:35 pm
(27) Kath says:

If you are studying at school you really need to take some spelling classes. So spell it straight or do not try to spell at all.

September 27, 2011 at 2:44 pm
(28) Mike says:

Yeah, what kath said.

too = also
You cannot take study “pretty serious’ Rather, Studies are taken seriousLY.

Your logic of “i study it so i should know it” is blatantly flawed reasoning. I’m sure you studied English as well, so you should know it, but you plainly do NOT know it when you fail to capitalize your self identified personal pronoun “I”, cannot properly spell “ignorance” and use a verb “conceded” in place of an adjective “conceited.”

So, until you can justify yourself properly, you might want to consider shutting up. Dork.

August 15, 2010 at 11:47 am
(29) Jackie says:

I guess a faggit isnt a bundle of sticks either hahahaha…Because it is…

August 23, 2010 at 7:35 pm
(30) spuds says:

Jackie, you should consider taking an English course.

October 14, 2010 at 12:15 am
(31) Bapzzy says:

“Minke Dork” refers to a peculiar form of leather created by Recht from the foreskin of a Minke Whale penis. This term was invented as a semi-technical description of the material used in the production of a limited edition shoe- the hvalsforhúðsskór (roughly translated from Icelandic as “whales foreskin shoes”)

August 17, 2011 at 3:30 am
(32) G00913 says:

Bapzzy, I love reading idiotic posts from “ignorant” people (that one’s for you, Jackie). But this one takes the cake, metaphorically of course. Posting an explanation while using “Wikipedia” as a credible source of information is completely taken seriously. Ha, wrong again, Johnny Boy! Next time you decide to utilize a website as a credible source of information, please, I implore of you. CHECK… IT’S… VALIDATION! Due to the fact it will save humanity from, epic citation failure. Thank you. And please don’t come again.

Love you!
Sincerely, G00913.

October 24, 2010 at 11:37 am
(33) Curt says:

I’m a 73 year old PhD. When I was a boy, back in the hills, a dork was a horse’s or mule’s penis. Yes, it is defined as a whale’s penis in dictionaries, and I have 2 old dictionaries one of which also defines it simply as penis and the other as horse’s penis! So, Mr. Emery needs to do far more thorough research before claiming such etymylogical eminence!

November 7, 2010 at 4:20 pm
(34) Dr. Roberts says:

“Dork” is a shortening of the full, technical, binomial nomenclature for a whale penis, “Dorkus malorkus.” In early marine biology journal articles it was abbreviated as “dork.” and has since migrated into the general vernacular and lexicon.

November 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm
(35) Gina says:

I learned the term in my university marine biology class. Is David Emery a marine biologist? Did he talk to a marine biologist? Or maybe he just read Moby Dick?

November 13, 2010 at 8:53 pm
(36) Jessica says:

No one here has given accurate information about the origin or meaning of dork.
Where are your sources? Wikipedia doesn’t count.
What class did you take? What biology book did you find this information in?
Keep going around telling people dork means whale penis when you can’t back up your claim.

July 31, 2011 at 8:59 pm
(37) Chris says:

Look up “baculum”. While it’s true that whales don’t have one, a hippopotamus, and most mammals, do.

That’s the traditional meaning of “dork”, not the penis, but the “penis bone”, or “baculum”.

November 28, 2010 at 12:25 am
(38) anon says:

lol.. @ rick’s reply to antman

January 7, 2011 at 5:34 am
(39) Mike Newton says:

I’m with Jessica on this one- I still firmly believe the dictionary definition I read way back, 6th grade style, when (when research actually meant finding, reading and citing sources- not just “well the internet said…”), it would be nice to see someone here actually cite and reference a source book to quell this discussion once and for all.

If all you feel able to spout out at anytime is “the internet told me this and the internet told me that” without doing any kind of solid research into etymological or, considering the subject matter, marine biological references (that yes, may have been changed recently to avoid hurting the feelings of the socially inept), then please don’t waste our frigging time. Library cards are free and you don’t need a valid ID to be able to walk into one and read the words off the pages.

I first looked up the word in 1989 in (I think) the World Book Dictionary- I’m guessing, since my school system was chronically underfunded, that the dictionary/encyclopedia set itself may have been originally published in the mid to late 60s. Whatever edition it was it listed ‘dork’ as that most infamous of mammalian organs…. (mine.) (haha) I tormented my fellow classmates with the word, because only I knew what it really meant, while they spent all their time beating me up (ah, the good old days) for knowing what words like that meant.

Don’t take some “internet expert”‘s word as gold- ever; always cite your sources; for the hell of it, and to gain a clearer picture of the world and yourself, cite MULTIPLE sources- and most importantly, please above high-please, don’t get suckered into the whole Fox Media style culture where the going maxim is “this one person said this, so it must be right.” Find more than one way to back yourself up.

And my friend David Emery, you have yet to do any of that. Considering, for the real title of this ‘article’: “DON’T TRUST david emery’s urban legends blog IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN”

January 7, 2011 at 10:49 am
(40) David Emery says:

Dear Mike,

For all your talk about doing one’s own research, citing multiple references, not trusting David Emery, yadda yadda yadda, etc., you still failed to cite any sources at all to prove that “dork” means “whale penis.” How come?

July 31, 2011 at 9:02 pm
(41) Chris says:

Q.E.D.

January 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm
(42) dan says:

Dorkus malorkus is a fictitious Latin phrase made up by Bart Simpson presumably based on the word dork. In the episode “Bart on the Road”, Bart announces that he is going to the National Grammar Rodeo and his sister, Lisa, protests.

:Lisa: It’s not fair. I’m the best student in school, how come I never heard about this competition?

:Bart: Maybe because you are, as we say in Latin, a “dorkus malorkus.”

:Lisa: That’s not Latin. Mom, Bart’s faking it.

:Marge: Lisa, you’ve had your glory. Now it’s Bart’s turn.

March 25, 2011 at 6:04 pm
(43) Chazz says:

Wow good call . . . . nerd.

March 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm
(44) Amon says:

If Mike was beat up in school, then Mike is a dork.
If David makes claims without evidence, then he is an even bigger dork. We can undoubtedly conclude that this string is a battle of the biggest whale penises on About.com

PS: Lol at Antman and to The Simpsons reference.

March 12, 2011 at 4:45 pm
(45) Heather Reid says:

Actually, I looked the word “dork”. It means it is a vulgar way of saying penis. So, get over the fact that it doesn’t mean whale penis. For god sake, whoever came up with that is an idiot!

March 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm
(46) patrisha mick says:

omg you r soooooo right

March 16, 2011 at 1:45 pm
(47) jane smith says:

omg thats embarrising my mom and dad used to call me that alot

March 16, 2011 at 1:47 pm
(48) patrisha mick says:

omg my mom and dad used to call me that alot im so embarressed

April 3, 2011 at 2:48 am
(49) Halikai says:

Words are allowed to have multiple definitions, you know. “Orange” is a color as well as a fruit. “Book” is an item and a verb. “Literally” is generally understood as meaning “in hyperbole”.

So why not treat the word “dork” as any other word, and let the context clarify its definition?

If I am talking about whales reproducing in an informal context, I might expect someone to use the word “dork”. If I am talking about my nephew, I *do* expect to hear the word “dork,” with multiple voice inflections. Do they mean the same thing? No.

This isn’t a new concept. Both definition are now accepted as true. Get over it.

~Kai

April 3, 2011 at 10:21 am
(50) David Emery says:

Kai, your argument would have merit if people actually used the word “dork” to mean “whale penis.” They don’t. The problem isn’t that “dork” has multiple meanings. The problem is that people claim it’s used in a way that it isn’t.

April 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm
(51) The Celestial Tiger says:

Ok, just because someone can’t remember where they read something doesn’t mean they’re stupid or that they’re lying. When I was a little girl, our family dictionary did list the definition of dork as “a whale’s penis,” along with a dictionary my grandparents had and a dictionary from my elementary school. I no longer have access to any of those dictionaries and cannot tell you the names of them but I know they were official dictionaries. All of the references to that particular definition are no doubt very old as people keep saying they remember this reference from a long time ago. It seems to me that the definition has been altered in sources to suit a changing vernacular. If the whale-related definition is truly incorrect, than a LOT of old dictionaries got it wrong because I saw it more than once as I already stated. The internet is VERY young compared to print. Just because you can’t find a reference to something online doesn’t mean it never existed.

November 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm
(52) Susal says:

Exactly! That’s an excellent point!

April 12, 2011 at 10:22 pm
(53) Jeff says:

The word for whale penis is oosik.

May 29, 2011 at 6:23 pm
(54) JadeWolf Piercey says:

If you Sir in this and many things threw out it and look up the word DORK on the net or in the DICTIONARY. The sec difnition of DORK in (PENIS) thank you all and have a every nice day bye bye now….

May 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm
(55) JadeWolf Piercey says:

Australasian snapper, a species of sparidae fish sometimes called “dork” that is the fish called a “DORK”

June 14, 2011 at 1:46 pm
(56) memaw says:

I can’t believes it matters! It is what it is.. not important. Unless you’re the blue whale of course !

June 30, 2011 at 1:22 am
(57) getoverit says:

i know i can only imagine how a blue whale would feel about all these people arguing about it, and honestly, when people do call me a dork i just laugh because i dont know whether it is a whales penis or a stupid person, and for everyone, it can mean BOTH shocking i know right? Take the word “ass” for instance, it is referred to as a donkey, a silly/stupid person, and a butt. this can end now if we just agree it means both… doubt that will happen.

August 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm
(58) Joe hoe says:

1. The blue whale’s penis, or dork, is the largest that ever existed. The average size for an adult male is 5m (15ft). The testicules weigh 10kg (22 pounds). The blue whale can produce between 3 – 20 gallons of sperm during its mating season.

August 28, 2011 at 2:49 am
(59) Grownup says:

Honestly the fact that people can take the time to argue about the name of a whale’s penis or just another slang word in a world where slang words are invented daily shows several things….. 1) You people clearly are RETARDED (care to look up the meaning or origin of that word too?) 2) You all need to find hobbies! And 3) Perhaps your immaturity has lead you to look into what to call a whales penis…. I mean really?! Are you looking to get into beastiality or what?! Sick people!!!

August 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm
(60) David Emery says:

“Grownup” writes:

“Perhaps your immaturity has lead you to look into what to call a whales penis…”

So how did YOU get here? Thou dost protest too much.

October 21, 2011 at 7:15 pm
(61) who cares says:

Euphemism, try the definition of that. who says dork can;t be a euphemism that has been forgotten like “framed” with no proof. Dork, gosh that sounds a lot like the British term wanker (meaning jerk like dork). Guess what a definition is?! what the majority says it means or common meaning. Bad was bad and only bad, until Micheal Jackson came along and bad suddenly meant great!. It’s how slang becomes common place. so if i say a picture of someone looks about as awkward as a whales enormous wanker, phallus , inconcinnus, dork then i guess they’re still a dork if that’s what everyone else thinks it means. better yet lets stop making up slang words at go back to Latin :)

November 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm
(62) thomas says:

This dictionary site mentions the definition.

January 13, 2012 at 2:32 am
(63) mid says:

dork/dôrk/
Noun:
derogatory. A dull, slow-witted, or socially inept person.
vulgar. The penis.
Dictionary.com Answers.com
Merriam-Webster The Free Dictionary
4 diff. site that all say that dork means penis

January 14, 2012 at 7:39 pm
(64) David Emery says:

Folks, please read more carefully. What’s at issue is NOT whether dork means penis, but whether it means whale penis.

January 31, 2012 at 3:04 am
(65) Juventino says:

I reluctantly recall being in my debate class and looking at a Webster Dictionary and seeing the whale pennies thing. I may be wrong but look at the late ninety’s version of the Dictionary. If I’m wrong Sorry if I’m right Sorry to break it to you. I’m an English professor and I’m really hoping I’m wrong. :)

February 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm
(66) Gerald says:

An oosik is a walrus’ penis bone.

February 19, 2012 at 1:04 am
(67) outofbounds says:

As a kid I heard someone being called a “dork” when I was 10 or 11- (1961-1962) and when I asked what a dork was, it was explained to me then that a dork was someone who went around smelling bicycle seats… Hey– I’m just sayin what I was told…

February 28, 2012 at 2:47 am
(68) doozie says:

hahaha, you guys are so butthurt about this! Dork means “whale penis” to me for the past ten years, & maybe eventually it’ll be in all the dictionaries! So shut up and laugh it off. you’re all a bunch of nerds! hehe

March 8, 2012 at 4:30 am
(69) T-Ren says:

Folks,
The Matrix has us!! It is trying to erase a previous definition we have all read in a dictionary as kids and replace it with another term. We must fight the Matrix!!
I remember reading it too, I have also seen the definition to be a horse’s penis which made sense as the o-r from horse and the d-k from dick could be combined for that word.
Alas none of us has a copy of those dictionaries or we would have scanned a copy of it into the computer and posted it by now to end this ridiculous argument.
If you remember seeing it then good and keep remembering it. If you have only looked up the term recently on the internet or current dictionaries then you would not know what the rest of us speak of.

March 14, 2012 at 12:38 pm
(70) Missy says:

A “Dork” Is Some one who would spend there time looking this up!

March 14, 2012 at 4:53 pm
(71) bud says:

you’re all a bunch of dork…. heads… ;)

March 15, 2012 at 11:46 am
(72) Robin FitzGerald says:

Dear Mr Emery
I have read pretty well all of these comments (particularly like your “(methinks) thou dost protest too much”).
Certainly many of the comments were completely unrelated to the subject.. “Dork” isn’t in my 1929 copy of the Concise Oxford Dictionary; nor the 1979 version of Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary. I won’t list the other tomes NOT containing the word! Suffice to say the only times I’ve heard the word were as a synonym for “dullard” or “stupid person” (or other slang variatons on those).
I’m 72 now & have been reading (including dictionaries!) since I was 4, so have a relatively good command of the language, as do other women of my generation!

March 17, 2012 at 12:41 pm
(73) pat says:

#26 Jackie:
If you take your studies seriously, why don’t you study spelling?

March 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm
(74) pat says:

Mr. Emery,
I find it so interesting that you have stirred up a hornets” nest about a whale penis, lol. At least you have all these people discussing it. However, I would like to say that if you agree to disagree, please be respectful of the other person in your use of language. This comment is for those of you responding to Mr. Emery’s post.

March 21, 2012 at 3:37 pm
(75) Mr. Whale says:

I asked my wife, who happens to come from a long line of whales, what she preferred to call my penis. She simply responded “Dork”. So it must be true.

March 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm
(76) sillyputy says:

Acully when you look up. The word dork it says both stupid and whale ******

March 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm
(77) Nobahd says:

Ya i think ill trust proven fact and Webster over some random guy and his proclaimed PHD in whale penis’s. This guy is a huge troll, its a funny troll non the less but still a troll. The sad part is this troll is clearly in his 50s by his picture which seems alittle old to be posting fake facts on a social website.

April 5, 2012 at 10:49 am
(78) Preston Garrison says:

Ah, but did you read Moby Dork?

April 11, 2012 at 5:11 am
(79) timmy jay says:

A dork is a person who farts in the bathtub and bites the bubbles!

April 11, 2012 at 7:47 pm
(80) Lulu says:

I saw the word dork posted on the wall with “whale penis” underneath for a display of a gray whale penis at the San Diego Natural History Museum. This was about 25 years ago.

April 20, 2012 at 6:57 am
(81) stoned says:

you guys are funny as and i thought i was stoned hehe

April 21, 2012 at 3:24 am
(82) Bmon says:

It is also known as a synonym :)

April 21, 2012 at 10:02 am
(83) Dork says:

In high school, dork was used to refer to the outsiders, not cool, or perceived weird people. To GROWNUP: As a parent of a mentally challenged and multiply-handicapped child, I find your use of the word retard very offensive. The unfortunate should be protected not used as a joke for small-minded people like you. Watch your words. They hurt.

May 2, 2012 at 4:07 am
(84) rks says:

Oosik is a native alasakan term for a walrus, and seal penis bones (and probably many other mammailian penis bones) Inuit i believe.

The latin term for penis bone is os penis. Literally.

Baculum is also used as penis but is latin for stick or staff.

Not too complicated.

May 4, 2012 at 2:03 pm
(85) aeneas dardanus says:

Apparently, neither “pork”, nor “dork” appear to be English in origin. That’s most probably why the term “pork” shifted its meaning from a grown living pig to denote its product/meat. Whereas, Dork almost, or completely phased out retaining only it figurative meaning which somehow relates or invokes our impression sensing of whale. Sow! What is it?!

A “dork” is a name for a female “pork” which (by the way) is the original name of a “Pig” -so there were pork’s and dork’s. And a dork is a sow ‘veteran’, that recently gave ‘birth’.

The interesting part:
During this phase this fully grown of up to 100kg (220 lb) female pork [pig] is regarded as a “dork”. This phase is characterized with lenient lethargic behavior, laziness, unwillingness; the dork does nothing but lay down in a mud as some grand piece of a fat meat (which may associate with our depicting of a whale) feeding its pilings. The dork(ing) phase is relatively short as is was the only period during which a sow is a dork . And may originate from old Illyrian or vulgar Latin dorcus(1).

1. See Albanian meaning of “derrkuc” and its similarity to dorkus/porcus; and a short form “dosa” which may have contracted from “dorc-a” which in turn is an exact equivalent of a breeding sow; a dork, or a mother pig.

May 6, 2012 at 2:20 am
(86) Gib Apap says:

You are all dorks… Just saying Meaning: ignorant whale penises hahahahahaaa jk but your comments are hilarious, none-the-less annnd entertaining I mean, who the heck really cares? The word cock either means a rooster or a penis. Who cares? Why do we get Dick from Richard? The English language is soooo freaking weird. To, two, too- all pronounced the same BUT have three different meanings.
I’m just saying that all your arguments are foolish.
Go ahead and talk about my improper grammar and my misspelled words. I don’t care…. But all this, is indeed, meaningless. Just saying.
Have a great and blessed life! :)

May 8, 2012 at 7:54 pm
(87) Visceral Cow says:

Bdiscountsectional Sofasx says:
You concur?? Only a dork would use the word “concur”.

Do you know what being inept is? It has nothing to do with using words that aren’t often used by the majority of society. Referring to him as a “nerd” may have been more appropriate.

May 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm
(88) Nic says:

Well sir, you have been challenged and you loose. It is a loose term used as a whales phallic piece. Thus… it further bacame a general term for dick/ penis. If you would liek documentaion other than ripleys there is pleanty.

June 2, 2012 at 11:51 pm
(89) masnail says:

Reading all of these comments was better than the comedy channel tonight. I especially liked…….. “Mr. Whale’s comment”. Once again I can not give the exact reference but my old dictionary had both the whales penis and a “five toed chicken”. There are several breeds of chickens with five toes but the oldest is the “Dorking”. Called by some with the short or slag term… “Dorks”. These chickens date back to 45AD and were believed to be introduced by the Romans into England. There is a 12 foot statue of the Dorking Chicken in Dorking, England. I think we can all agree that the word Dork refers to something unusual, uncommon, oddball
, or strange.

June 4, 2012 at 12:38 pm
(90) brittany says:

i think i might put this on reddit… people taking a penis so seriously these days lol

June 15, 2012 at 9:57 pm
(91) lynsey says:

They say dork on t.v. BC they can’t say dick

June 16, 2012 at 9:36 pm
(92) Pablo says:

@Brittany
Lmao… (^_^)

June 18, 2012 at 9:00 pm
(93) Vova says:

There is Russian word “durak”. Guess what,it means a fool, silly person…

June 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm
(94) Just saying says:

This is the silliest topic to be going on aboust…lmao….out started back in 2009 and here it is 2012 and ppl are still going on about it. And now I’m sucked into it cause I felt the need to mention how long ago this particular article was posted to the internet….lol

June 24, 2012 at 12:58 am
(95) MiracleMouse says:

First and foremost, there is only one truth and that is that even truth is subjective.

That said, OP, I appreciate the idea you are trying to pass along. However, you assume a lot. 1st and foremost: You are assuming there is / was no culture that use/s/d or has at one time used the word Dork to define whale penis. Second he states that the word was said to mean something without actually meaning it, and refuses to accept the idea that people have come to accept the new definition of the word to mean whale penis.

So for you to say that hundreds or thousands of people are wrong without even knowing when, where, and why they use the term is nothing more than sheer arrogance on your part.

The english language is full of undefined or redefined terms that are socially accepted but not listed in any “respectable” source. Terms such as Bad, Cool, Hot, Phat (not even in the dictionary but definitely with meaning), Candy, Powder, Rosary, Faggot, Homo, and lets not get started on the fallacy of the word Homophobic which is a stretched word to define people who are scared of gay people, when in fact it should mean people who are scared of people of the same race.

Either way, sir, my point is this. You assume too much for your argument to hold ground. Your idea is nothing short of sheer arrogance and your vision is lacking as well. You speak only for yourself when you say the word “Dork” does not and never has been used to describe a whale’s penis. I say to you sir, it has. I know this, because I have used that word for such a description. Am I wrong? Or is your interpretation of the english language the sole interpretation?

I see what you are trying to say, and respect your opinion, but I think its important that you realize its just that, your opinion. Because in the end truth is subjective and should I chose to define dork as a beautiful flower that blossoms only at night, that is my prerogative and in truth I am well within literary right to do so.

July 7, 2012 at 8:11 pm
(96) Lucile Barker says:

The term was used in my neighborhood in southern Ontario in 1959. We got away with using it in public, so our families could not have had any inkling of its connection to genitalia of any sort…

July 15, 2012 at 5:15 am
(97) happy surfer says:

Don’t know what a dork is but this thread has had me laughing.thank-you all

July 28, 2012 at 7:58 am
(98) Click Here for more Blaster Worm info says:

I am regular reader, how are you everуbody?
This ρost posted at this web page is genuinely gοod.

August 20, 2012 at 4:04 am
(99) jeremiah says:

i have read all the coments and have heard all the points hmmm to start off all this stuff i agree is funny i also agree that words can basically mean what ever people want em to mean but heres what i know 1 the internet is not trust worthy 2 the books arent trustworthy 3 people arent trustworty. given that idear i think it ovious that things are quite unclear and no deffinate the problems arent the whale dick in general but i find some of the trash talk that went on in the proccess is quite alaming also the thread is indeed good but it could be better think about it , id say the more important thing would be to talk about this stuff i find anyone willing to chalenge stuff will go far but you have to know when to stop too also you cant go around insulting the guys age no matter what he took this time to tell what he knows so we should at least hournor that and keep the descusion propper also i know i suck at grammer myself but hey im one person in the masses insulting me will do no good besides im not going to see you insult me so what would i care one more thing the statue the pig and the obscene and dumbness defo caught my attention could you perhaps research that and tell me more?

August 22, 2012 at 6:49 pm
(100) Francine says:

Greetings! Very useful advісe in this particular article!
It іѕ the lіttle changes that make
the greаtest changes. Thаnkѕ a lot fоr
sharing!

August 22, 2012 at 7:25 pm
(101) Brother MFC7340 says:

Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when in this
technological globe all is presented on net?

August 30, 2012 at 1:50 am
(102) Ed says:

I second the comment that states that there is a Russian work “durak” that means a male that is an ass, idiot or fool, as in diminished mental capacity. A female with the same qualities is a “dura”. The Russian word for madhouse is “durdom”. The Russian word for home “doma” is similar to English with the word “domicile”.

When pronouncing “durak”, the ‘u’ is pronounced as “oo” and the “r” is trilled on the tongue with a sound similar to that in Spanish, like “R-R-Ruffles have r-r-ridges”.

I vaguely remember that Robert DeNiro’s character Michael in the movie “The Deerhunter” gets smacked in the head by his babushka clad (head scarf) Russian Orthodox mother while she utters “durak” to reprimand him for his bad behavior.

September 9, 2012 at 12:41 am
(103) Dude says:

I know the meaning of dork from Frank Zappa Sonk, “Stevie’s Spanking” which I first heard at age 14:

There is a line:

“she made him drool upon his dork and gave it a wanking”

Stevie refers to guitarist Stevie Vai.

September 24, 2012 at 9:31 pm
(104) Andrew says:

while i agree with the post, i do believe that now that all these posts are out there on the internet, people will likely begin refferring to it as the posts suggest

September 26, 2012 at 10:40 am
(105) Elise says:

I beg to differ with you on the definition of ‘dork’ as not being ‘whale penis.’ My grandfather, born about 1870, was in the Lifesaving Service, which later became part of the Coast Guard. He was stationed at Bodie and Hatteras Lights. To them, the word was commonly accepted as being a vulgar slang word for whale penis, and my mother would get irate at the kids when they used it. This was waaay before the present meaning was even thought of.

September 27, 2012 at 9:59 pm
(106) Jack says:

From Ripley’s Believe It or Not:

“It’s called a dork. That’s the technical term for a whale’s reproductive organ.”

Technical term? Seems to me like it’s slang, at best. I’m subtitling this episode right now, but if the word’s origin and use in this context is this elusive even in the English language, I will not be able to find the right word for the target language.

Dean Cain is a dork for using it.

September 28, 2012 at 12:00 am
(107) Andrea says:

Bahahahahahaha. I think it’s halrious all of you are arguing about this!!!!

September 28, 2012 at 6:23 am
(108) Arizona Phatz says:

As #108+/- in a long line of whale penis’s (knot no ing the the reel meening ov mor then syngel penis) about ten years ago I was told by my then seven year old son that one definition of dork was “whale penis”. He went on to explain that his teacher (seccond grade I believe) had heard someone in the class call another by the name dork. The class as a group had to look in the dictionary to define the word. One of the definitions was whale penis. It is true that I have not one shred of evidence to back up my belief of the whale penis definition, I am sure those 27 people in that class plus another unknown number of people lucky enough to be informed by those students absolutly know that one of the definitions of “dork” is “whale penis”.
Thank you very much!

October 2, 2012 at 11:00 am
(109) Jennifer says:

I ran into my old biology teacher. He has been retired now for about 10 years. He confirms that the dork is the penis of the whale. It is also in his textbooks going back to the 70s when he first worked at the university. Who cares if it wasn’t a word until the 1960s (as this guy states). All words are made up and this is just another one of those that came into existence. To the author of this blog. YES! The dork is the penis of a whale. You really need to do research before writing a blog about something that you think did not exist.

October 3, 2012 at 12:04 am
(110) David Emery says:

Jennifer, you’re going to have to do better than “I ran into my old biology teacher.” A lot better.

October 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm
(111) Max says:

So if enough people start using “dork” to actually describe whale penises then we might have a chance?

October 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(112) Serge says:

I watched a show on Television…history channel i believe..maybe PBS…and they used the word “dork” to define a whales penis…it was a documentary on whales…never heard it since….

October 4, 2012 at 9:45 pm
(113) Cat C. Catherine says:

At the Whale Museum in Albany, Western Australia, one of the exhibits has a Whales penis and it is called a “Dork”. True, I saw it. It’s an old Whaling Station closed down in the 1970′s and is now a Museum and Cafe etc.
Just saying……

October 6, 2012 at 3:18 pm
(114) Colby says:

So it used to mean a whale’s penis. Now it means something different. It no longer means a whales penis just like gay no longer means happy.

October 6, 2012 at 7:47 pm
(115) David Emery says:

Colby, it never meant whale penis. There’s no record of the word even being used prior to the 1960s.

October 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(116) Jay bell says:

I just happen to know the people who invented the word Dork
Martin Bell and a school partner were assigned o invent a word and definition.
They came up with dork as meaning a dumb or dense person ie a dolt.
It was mid 50s in American Fork Utah. The class thought the word funny and used it all over.
Both were astonished when the word showed up on a tv show many years later.

October 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm
(117) linguistics major says:

Language is a fluid and ever changing (albeit fascinating) thing. Thanks for the laugh. I would call you all dorks for debating this, but that would be a tad bit hypocritical. So I guess we’re all a bunch of penises, and no closer to settling this debate.

October 13, 2012 at 1:12 am
(118) Ceci says:

Can’t believe this arguments been going on for the years. DORKS!!!!

October 14, 2012 at 10:27 am
(119) Jim Frasher says:

I suggest that it originated as a “put-down” sarcastic reference to someone who is the opposite of the Biblical lady, “Dorcas,” whose name in Greek meant “gazelle,” or by indirect reference, “graceful.” Thus to refer derogatorily as being a “dorcas,” or in short, “dork,” was a put-down as one being exactly the opposite.

October 28, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(120) roger says:

ok lol i disagree with your idea that dork does not mean whale penis….. as anyone with any sense will incline, a words definition is and only is what we as a people make it to be……. and as you so rightly said 10,000 different sources will tell you thats the definition….it may not have used to mean a whale penis , but it does now…..we have made it so.

November 8, 2012 at 4:28 am
(121) James says:

I’m wondering if dork as a reference to penis is derived from the old word for carrot; Daucus. Maybe the two words have the same root?!

December 7, 2012 at 10:05 pm
(122) Michael says:

This is funny. I heard that about 25 years ago in a classic movie Meatballs (or maybe Meatballs p2.)

December 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm
(123) Dana says:

When i was a teenager I used the word “dork” and my mom told me that it meant “whale penis”. I didn’t believe her but she told me to look it up. I did in fact find it in the dictionary defined as such. It was an older dictionary and I will look it up next time I visit my parents. But YES, it was a reputable dictionary.

January 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm
(124) RascalMcDoogle says:

In any case, I am flatered when I am called a Dork!

January 17, 2013 at 4:13 pm
(125) Adam says:

seriously? you spent that MUCH time researching this? what a DORK.

January 25, 2013 at 9:22 pm
(126) HAHA-dorks says:

I can’t believe 126 comments on this subject…WHAT DORKS!

January 29, 2013 at 1:23 pm
(127) Pete says:

snorkel is the long tube like apparatus used to breath underwater and back in the old English and American whaling days the sailors shortened this and added the D to make Dorkel which became Dork after many years of changing language is now referance to a big idiot or socially inept person… Much the same thing as the English term “Wanker” which originated from soldiers beds in the 1st and 2nd world wars the metal bunk bed frames were notorious for making a funny noise if you were jerking off! “wank wank” So you were called a wanker! all definitions change through the ages but in the context and applications of the time’s it makes perfect sense! You just have to think about it! As a child i too remember looking in the dictionary to understand the word Dork and it did state it was a whales penis not the current “vulgar reference to penis” but just like th ebible and most history books the dictionary changes all the time too!

February 7, 2013 at 11:40 am
(128) Lippydippydoo says:

I remember on one of the Police Academy films. They sprayed the word Dork in sunscreen on one of the guys. At the end of his tanning session, he was left with the word Dork on his sunburnt back.
Maybe if you live in Dorking, you might be referred to as a Dork, ha ha just a silly joke….

February 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm
(129) mac says:

(6) Junius – Where I grew up in the 1930s – 40s “a guy who sneaks around sniffing girl’s bicycle seats” was a Snark.

“Dork” was commonly in use then.

February 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm
(130) Kim says:

I remember looking up the work in the dictionary in 1984-1987 and I thought it said it was a rodents penis.

February 19, 2013 at 10:15 pm
(131) Mel says:

Technically a word may have multiple definitions so that means it could mean a whale’s penis and a foolish person, right. So (if it is correct) would it not be correct to use that word when refering to someone (something some were concerned about).

February 24, 2013 at 11:12 am
(132) Webster says:

According to dork.com the definition is…

Dork [Dôrk] noun – a person with a heightened sense of humor, strong proclivity for entertainment, or passion for living.

February 28, 2013 at 12:31 pm
(133) Hunny says:

looking for a copy of Moby Dork, no luck yet!

March 2, 2013 at 3:22 pm
(134) josh byrd says:

How about this for PROOF

DICTIONARY
dork
Definition
dork[ dawrk ]To hear the pronunciation, install Silverlightdorks Plural

NOUN
1. an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody’s intelligence, physical appearance or social skills ( slang insult )
2. an offensive term for a penis ( slang )
[ Mid-20th century. Origin ? ]

Content above provided by
Encarta® World English Dictionary[North American Edition] © & (P) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

March 2, 2013 at 3:33 pm
(135) David Emery says:

Josh, apparently you didn’t notice, but your “proof” doesn’t say anything at all about a whale penis.

March 10, 2013 at 11:19 am
(136) Sam says:

LOL, GOTTA SAY THIS HAS AMUSED ME FOR ABOUT AN HOUR NOW, YOU ARE ALL SO FUNNY, I STILL DON’T CARE WHAT IT REALLY MEANS, AND I WILL STILL USE IT REGARDLESS.

March 11, 2013 at 4:06 pm
(137) Charles says:

Actually its in a very old version of the websters dictionary, where it says “Whale penis”, genius….

The author of this is a dork…

March 15, 2013 at 5:08 pm
(138) Mandie says:

I agree, this has been entertaining. Frankly, I don’t excessively care what it means, but I do think there are valid (and somewhat less valid) points. I think that even if it never meant it to begin with (which I do not claim to know), the assumption that dork means “whale’s penis” has reached a point of popularity where there are people who would use it to mean whale’s penis in context (and not just claim that’s what it means). Perhaps this claim was once the only connection the word had to a whale’s penis (perhaps), but we may just be in a transition, and 10 years from now, it will be back in the dictionary. Maybe even used by Marine Biologists. As for now, I think if we step back and think about it, it can be agreed that it is at least slang for “whale’s penis” simply based on how many people believe it to be so. Slang is only what people decide it is.

To Mr. Emery: I feel as though you are a bit close-minded on the matter; most likely out of defense since there are many people who are bashing you. But after four years, and this much discussion, do you really feel that everyone else could not possibly have as much credibility as you on the subject? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but you haven’t exactly provided counter arguments. At most, you have pointed out some lack of foundation for a few arguments, but there have been some decent points, to which, you have not replied.

I do agree that if you are going to try and prove something, sources are really vital for your credibility; however, there is something to be said for opinion. This isn’t a research paper, and I’ve found the vast amount of memories recalling old dictionaries pretty interesting.

And as for those of you who say you don’t care how bad your grammar and spelling is, more power to you, but don’t expect to be taken seriously. It’s one thing to not care, but if you expect people to buy into your view, you must first learn how to express it.

March 15, 2013 at 5:10 pm
(139) Mandie says:

One last note… as far as “antman” ‘s comment (22) about Grease proving the usage before the 60′s: am I the only one who understood that he meant the movie was supposed to be set in the 50′s even though they used “dork”? (Hence the winky-face.)

March 17, 2013 at 12:47 am
(140) Heather says:

I like to believe it comes from the character Dorkus from Shakespeare’s literature. But that’s just me. ;)

March 19, 2013 at 1:54 pm
(141) Richard says:

It’s totally a ‘dolphin penis.’

March 20, 2013 at 9:55 am
(142) AlbinoRhino says:

Well that was a highly amusing way to kill an hour on a slow Wednesday morning.

Just a couple of points. I concur with many of the commenters in that the majority of thought is really the defining argument. Yes, I said concur. I thoroughly enjoy using “real” words in everyday conversation, and just because the majority of “sheeple” do not know what they mean, is no excuse not to use them.

I also agree that if you intend to be taken seriously at ANY time, you need to present yourself seriously. Not bothering to even capitalize the” “I when referring to ones’ self, shows a distinct lack of respect for the language, and to even bother to post an opinion on a language issue is absurd.

An argument could easily be made that this entire thread is banal, but for me it was comical and entertaining. And for the record, a dork is a dork is a dork. Regardless.

March 22, 2013 at 2:30 pm
(143) k8 says:

I haven’t read all of the comments…..but a GORP (not dork) is the person who farts in the bathtub and and eats the bubbles. Don’t ask me how I know.

March 31, 2013 at 5:42 am
(144) Andrew says:

To David Emery…
Why havent you removed this article yet.??
You were proved wrong years ago over this article, and it is still here.

Dork does mean whale penis and David you are a one to still think you are right on this story.

April 8, 2013 at 7:40 pm
(145) Dusty Devins says:

You must be a whale phallus if you think youre a dork…dork that batman!

Smoke a wax rod and the take that to the ever failing economic syndrome…even dork etymology is a conspiracy folks. Get with the program!

Nanananana…..

April 20, 2013 at 1:36 am
(146) Rick says:

The use of “dork”was initially used by myself and best friend Jerry in Hollywood back in the early 1960′s and it became a slang monster. We also used “Dufus ” a lot back then.

April 20, 2013 at 9:50 am
(147) Vweberable says:

Hahahahahahah! what a bunch of DORKS!!!!!!!

April 22, 2013 at 3:43 pm
(148) hoochie mama says:

I was just telling my friends, (on a beach here in Hawaii) that “dork” means a whales penis and that a whale penis is the latgest penis in the world. Therefore when I call my ex a dork, I am actually calling him the biggest dick in the world… So if I call you sir, a dork, I am actually calling YOU the biggest dick in the world. So no matter who I call a dork, I am calling them the biggest dick in the world because that is my definition of it and thus it is so… THAT is my story and I’m sticking to it! … Isn’t it all relative? Sir… Opinions are just that… Only an opinion! You are not right and I am not wrong. In turn, you are not wrong and I am not right. I find one’s need to be right, (a very human flaw indeed) a bit immature, adolencent, almost infantile! I also find this whole thing hilarious… So! There you have it. My opinion. God! I love me!

April 25, 2013 at 9:22 pm
(149) Dork or maybe not . says:

Oh jeez that analog ” read real dictionary ” definition of dork that listed a whale penis first was wrong . I guess your 60 seconds of research on the web wasn’t as good as you thought , bonjuor . sigh …

May 16, 2013 at 1:34 am
(150) Danielle says:

This article is the most stupid thing I have ever bothered to read.
Yes, it is a known FACT that “dork” is widely used as a term for a whale’s reproductive organ.
And the only reason I came across this article is because after watching a WHALE DOCUMENTARY from a well-established producer during my BIOLOGY class IN SCHOOL, I heard it during and so then looked it up.
If the fact that it’s used by seemingly educated people (especially in the subject of whales) as a term in a documentary, I think that makes it valid enough. So you sir, are a f*cking idiot.

May 16, 2013 at 11:54 am
(151) Joe DiFuccia says:

You people have WAY too much time on your hands…

May 16, 2013 at 6:21 pm
(152) Why says:

I’m curious as to why you wrote this article. Basically what I got from this is that dork means penis if used in vulgar way. Example Sentence: The blue whale has the biggest dork. So basically it still works for a whale’s penis. Fail.

May 16, 2013 at 6:36 pm
(153) WhyAgain says:

Discovered by the germans in 1904, they named it San Diego which in german means Whales Vagina…Wonder how many dorks live in San Diego? ahahaha

May 17, 2013 at 6:19 pm
(154) peter says:

Funny that words still fuel a need inside us all to argue. If one word is used by a group of people to mean something then that is the accepted meaning of it. Regardless of its prior use to mean anything else. Such is the case with language. It is how we understand each other. Language is for the most part, local. Meaning centralized to a specific geographic area or social group. I remember I liked to refer to an online friend of mine as “firecrotch” because she was a redhead. This was well about 10 years ago, and suddenly some guy on TV claims to come up with that word. Regardless. That word had been used by our social grouping to refer to our friend prior to its association with that other redhead. He was a f*cktard (another word our group frequents), for claiming the word as his own, but the meaning remained the same. So in conclusion and past my ramblings, if person A says a word and person B understands and repeats the word to person C when referring to any such specific item then persons A,B and C have now associated such word with such specific item regardless of what persons X,Y,Z decide to call it on the opposite side of the planet. Because said word “means” said thing to group ABC then that word now has that “meaning” for them. That is the foundation of language and the beauty of adaptation

May 18, 2013 at 11:07 am
(155) David Emery says:

Peter,

Once again you miss the point. Nobody USES the word dork to mean whale penis. What everyone does, thanks to the Internet, is repeat the CLAIM that it means whale penis.

May 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(156) steve says:

wow…was it really such and important issue you needed to go to this length to disprove it….some people have to much time on their hands

May 28, 2013 at 9:14 pm
(157) jon says:

lol no life dork means penis there for it can be any penis includeing a whales lmao

May 30, 2013 at 10:55 am
(158) jazzel says:

You no how they say dick or cock for a mans penis well adork is just another name for a whales penis. Guess what its really called? Its actually called a PENIS

May 31, 2013 at 1:03 am
(159) Rosanna Miller says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! When I first heard that it meant whale penis, I was annoyed because all of a sudden I was conflicted with my normal use of word. My daughter and I have always teased each other and one of our favorite words to use has been dork. AND then someone sprung their idea of the meaning. I was horrified. Anyways, thanks again.

June 2, 2013 at 11:53 pm
(160) Mot says:

To Be a DORK or not to be… that is the question: The answer is, to answer such a hyperboli… means Ur a DORK. So dorksters unite… UR ALL a bunch of dorks… cept me, cause I am hung like a mouse and I ain’t a dork – U. R.

Chill out dudes and dudets… it’s all in fun, as in this is funner stuff

Signed me,

Wide Load

June 10, 2013 at 2:19 am
(161) Hi Captain Kurt says:

This entire thread is amazing.

June 16, 2013 at 2:48 pm
(162) Dorkus Humongous says:

I never thought I see 161 comments on About fighting over penis interpretation.

June 28, 2013 at 12:21 am
(163) shamoo says:

I was in the pool!

July 21, 2013 at 12:35 am
(164) Kevin says:

This discussion triggers a memory. I’m sure most of you have seen 16 Candles. It was an 80′s teen movie about a dork trying to get laid. In one scene, the little kid who played Molly Ringwald’s little brother , was discussing the fact that he had to share his bedroom with Long Duck Dong. He quips to his sister ” oh stop your bitching, I have to share my bedroom with some China man named after a “duck’s dork”. So there’s another reference of where dork is being referred to as a penis. I actually never understood that line in the movie until now, since I never new dork was another name for penis (whale’s, duck’s or otherwise)

July 27, 2013 at 10:30 pm
(165) zchak says:

Dork has always meant penis to me. It was used in the movie ‘Johnny Dangerously’ by Robert Logia’s character in a scene where he comes out of his bathroom after a bomb explodes in his toilet. He comes out holding a phallus like handle and exclaims “I’m standing here with my dork in my hand!” So all you fargin iceholes can stop commenting on it.

July 27, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(166) zchak says:

Sorry, I meant Peter Boyle not Robert Loggia, so don’t waste your time pointing out I quoted the wrong actor.

August 1, 2013 at 10:45 am
(167) Julie McKenzie says:

I’m amazed at the number of comments on this topic! When I was a kid you’d call someone a dick or dick-head, or worse. But the first time I heard “dork” I innately knew it meant “big dick”. Dunno why. Ancestral memory maybe? Or is it just the sound of the word?

August 8, 2013 at 12:29 am
(168) Aron says:

You’re going to have to do a lot more than publish this article if you want to the word Dork to stop meaning Whale Penis. Words are a human thing, not a whale thing. So although I agree that the people (like myself) who use the word Dork to mean Whale Penis probably know little to nothing about Whales, that doesn’t stop us. And neither has your article. Words exist in the moment and are in constant flux. Don’t let the OED fool you.. english is growing and changing as fast as a whale’s penis that’s just getting excited!

August 9, 2013 at 11:23 am
(169) Joe Ganster says:

Youre all a bunch of goddam dorks.

September 21, 2013 at 5:42 pm
(170) Dorkass says:

What one whale said to the other:

Bob the whale :
“Dude,Lose the turtle shell! It makes you look like a cock”

Sam the whale
“Hell no! You won’t catch my dork unprotected from falling anchors , ever again!”

HA!…I LOVE THAT
I’m such a Dork Ass

September 24, 2013 at 12:53 am
(171) John P. says:
September 24, 2013 at 4:22 pm
(172) PizzaGuy4Hire says:

First off, I also cite Dean Cain re: Ripley’s Believe It or Not as my source of information, and they have to have at least factual information on their show or they would lose all credibility. Even the things on their shows that are hoaxes and fakes are well pointed out by them to be just that, elaborate though they may be.

Granted I had never seen any other “reliable” sources – ie, published papers, dictionary or encyclopedia entries, or the like, I would give Ripley’s the credit their show – and museums and such – deserve.

So, we can either just “agree to disagree agreeably” or we can lay the matter to rest and stop being dorks about it.

Also, the word NERD was first referred to by Dr. Seuss.

Now I’m going back to being a geek. It’s been real!!!

September 25, 2013 at 9:51 pm
(173) nick says:

your a dork Dave emery

October 1, 2013 at 11:07 am
(174) Christian says:

They made texting a language.

Language is NOT static. It is constantly changing. Gay used to mean “happy and joyous” but now it refers to homosexuals. Fag used to mean “a pile of sticks” but is now a deraugatory term for homosexuals.

Dork now means “whale penis”. Language changes over time. Dork now means “whale penis”. Get over it.

October 4, 2013 at 1:55 pm
(175) Alison says:

I also grew up hearing that it meant “whale’s penis” It was a great joke on the playground – before the days of internet.

I just looked up my dork in my dictionary, a Random House Collegiate Edition, published in 1998, and it lists two definitions: an awkward person and as slang for penis. There is no mention of a whale associated with that word.

I believe that these rumors get started and ingrained into our society. Did it originate as whale’s penis, probably not. As much as we’d like to believe the fun tales of our childhood, the most common use of the word remains a socially awkward person….perhaps best applied to those of us who have nothing better to do than argue about the word dork.

October 11, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(176) Jim says:

Dork referred to the penis of a mule, which, while being functional, is useless, as mules cannot breed. This is the true origin I heard it used by horse men and mule skinners as a kid. Long before I ever heard it used to reference a person.

October 14, 2013 at 4:41 pm
(177) dorkus maximus says:

like countless others, I was told in grade school by other kids that “dork” means a whale’s penis. I always suspected it was an urban legend. part of the reason urban legends propagate and perpetuate is their novelty, or the “it’s strange enough to be true” instinct.

think about it though… why would there be a special term for a whale’s penis? a whale’s penis is simply a penis. since when do particular animals’ body parts don’t have special names?

November 6, 2013 at 8:26 pm
(178) Lulu says:

One of the earliest documented uses of the word “dork” is a 1961 publication (referencing 1953), in which the meaning is clearly penis, but with no particular reference to whales

November 6, 2013 at 8:27 pm
(179) Lulu says:

And it’s slang so I don’t belief it’s required to be in the dictionary

December 1, 2013 at 8:28 am
(180) not a dork says:

You are all dorks!

December 3, 2013 at 11:32 pm
(181) akaawward says:

LOLXD yoj cant pay for entertainment like this…..Dxhonestly word definitions constantly change so it may be used as what it is right now.gay at one point meant happy and that canstill be used like that……. although it may not be the wisest thing to do…..

December 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm
(182) The emperor of the world says:

I hereby declare that from this day forward DORK means the same thing as: DOLT, DIPSTICK, DIMWIT, DWEEB, DICKWEED, DICK, DICKHEAD, DUMASS,

AND CAN BE DEFINED AS:

Anyone that wastes any amount of time trying to prove or disprove the definition of slang terminology used to berate each other.

DERP has spoken, nothing to see here…………..

December 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm
(183) cloud 9 says:

So Ive been sitting here reading every comment due to sheer boredom. So the dictionary says its a vulgar slang term for penis. It does not specifically say what penis. So I would think if it doesnt describe a specific penis it describes all which would include a whales. Common sense.

December 22, 2013 at 11:49 am
(184) Dave says:

Lets keep in mind that the Oxford dictionary is not a marine anatomy lesson. Your looking in the wrong place for your facts… Maybe we can find the answer thru an accredited anatomy book. Either way, who really cares. I hope I don’t get all “dorked” up anytime soon if that really means a blue whale’s penis. Ugh

January 12, 2014 at 1:52 pm
(185) Powello says:

Dork, from the French, d’ork, literally translated “of orc” or “son of an orc.”

January 28, 2014 at 3:03 pm
(186) Eric says:

Moby Dork….such a good book.

March 3, 2014 at 6:44 am
(187) rmbelew87 says:

I have just now, because I lack what is considered to be normative behavior, researched many different websites and books (encyclopedias and animal journals) about whale anatomy and reproduction. I can say that in all of those websites and journals/books I did not once come across a single mention of the word “dork”.

Now, I am not saying that this is definitive in proving that “dork” does not mean a whale’s penis… however, it does tend to cast a rather large shadow on the idea. I mean, in the literal YEARS this article has been here nobody has provided any citation of any credible source mentioning the word as such.

I welcome, and I am sure David Emery does as well, any absolute evidence you can provide to show that this is indeed a term for “whale penis”. Anecdotal evidence (vague allusions to a book you once read or being taught in some non-specific class by a nameless teacher) does not count or matter. In the (possibly not quite exact) words of Joe Friday… “All we want are the facts, ma’am”.

March 23, 2014 at 11:10 am
(188) jujube says:

Wait a minute… people sit in bathtubs eating their fart bubbles?! Other people sniff bicycle seats?! This seems worse than a damn whale’s penis!

April 13, 2014 at 9:45 am
(189) kru69 says:

I just looked in the Webster’s new explorer dictionary copyright 2009 the word dork isn’t in their

April 20, 2014 at 10:00 am
(190) todd says:

Only a dork would would research the meaning of dork, and then write an article trying to claim that everyone else is a dork, but not you. I’m sorry, I ment to call you a whale penis, but dorks like you don’t know the meaning of words unless some egghead puts it in a dorktionary for all the dorks to study and try to correct those of us who know what a dork is whithout the dorktionary. I was just trying to google a picture of a whale dork when I happened across a dorky web page telling me what a dork thinks a dork is. What a whale penis.