1. News & Issues

David Emery

Photo of Obama 'Checking Out Girl' at G8 Summit Isn't What It Seems

By July 10, 2009

A photo of Barack Obama apparently showing him staring at a young woman's derriere during the recent G8 summit has set jaws a-flapping and inspired a new name for the presidential anthem: "Tail to the Chief."

Pictures can be deceiving, though. News video of the same event tells a different story altogether.

The young woman in the photo has been variously identified as Mayara or Mayora Tavares of Brazil, by the way. The gentleman at Obama's side is the unmistakable Nicolas Sarkozy, President of France.

Read more about it:
Obama: Baby Got Barack
Video Clears Up Obama Photo

Comments

July 11, 2009 at 9:25 am
(1) Chuck Manson says:

Great, another Obama apologist. I looked at the video several times and it’s not obvious at all. As he was looking back he had no idea the woman coming down the stairs was going to grab his arm and interrupt his view.

You should stick to urban legends as this one is a no brainer. Obama pulled a Clinton.

July 11, 2009 at 11:05 am
(2) Red Mann says:

Gee Chuck, I guess Obama should pluck his eyes out for looking (very briefly) at an attractive woman. No real man I know would ever do such a thing. Dave’s not being an Obama apologist; he’s just challenging the right wing exaggeration of a quick glance. The salaciousness here comes from the Freepers, Drudge and Faux News blasting it out to their audience over and over again. Those (hetero men) among who have never checked out a female behind may now cast the first stone.

July 11, 2009 at 11:03 pm
(3) Chuck Manson says:

Red, where did I say it wasn’t OK to check out ladies? I agree with you that it’s fine to look. Wouldn’t blame Obama if he did. And thank you for making my point even though you missed it yourself.

Emery’s making the point that the photo isn’t what it appears. That’s where the apologist comes in. I’m supposed to come here to get the “facts” but what Emery is attempting to do is to spin the story and pretend it’s not what it appears to be? It may not be, but from my angle, it is. And good for Obama. That hiney is much finer than the one he’s married to.

C

July 12, 2009 at 9:10 am
(4) John says:

Heaven forbid that someone says anything negative about The Messiah Obama. He’s a man like anyone else, and was definitely checking out the booty! Go Obama. I agree that is was much better than the shrew he is married to!

July 12, 2009 at 6:19 pm
(5) Jay Vegas says:

With all the women in the U.S. (world??) going gaga over Obama’s “charm” (I know MANY who voted for him just because they thought he is sexy)it is only a matter of time when he will be seduced. Plus his ego may make him too weak too resist.

July 12, 2009 at 7:33 pm
(6) ML says:

” News video of the same event tells a different story altogether.”….maybe you need to take off the Obama blinders off and have another look at the video. At the most the video is only inconclusive. At least have a shred of integrity.

July 13, 2009 at 1:07 pm
(7) Michael says:

I honestly expected the video to show that it was a moment caught in time and didn’t show the entire story but after watching the video it is pretty clear he is looking down at the steps and ‘something’ caught his eye which he continued to look at until it was out of view…he is human

what is shameful though is so many rushing to protect him and now get this classified as a ‘urban legend’

July 15, 2009 at 12:07 am
(8) david says:

A non-story…but it is pretty clear he is not checking the girl out. Total urban legend. The picture is entirely miss leading.

Who cares though if he was?

July 15, 2009 at 7:51 am
(9) C Jerome says:

Oh yes he was looking on the down low. Helping the other young lady down was his chance to sneak a peek. If he did not look we should worry. He is just another man.

July 15, 2009 at 1:57 pm
(10) Andi says:

Yeah, he was looking. He needs to wear a pair of dark glasses so no one can see what his eyes are doing. That’s what my husband does.

July 18, 2009 at 2:00 am
(11) Bert the Rabbit says:

You are an idiot…You would never go to such lengths to appologize and play spin meister for George Bush or any Republican for that matter. You and ABC News are clearly puppets. Your bias is crystal clear. Not that there’s anything wrong with taking a glance (which he clearly did) but you telling me to believe you rather than my own lying eyes??? You are making a fool of yourself. Koolaid drinker.

July 20, 2009 at 6:07 pm
(12) Lillian says:

The photo is what it is, he was checking her out, but….that sleezy French dude next to him was also getting a good chuckle out of it too!!!! I don’t care if Obama “looks” at a woman, I want him to do what is right for this country, keep it the greatest country in the world, but from what I see, it’s going in the opposite direction now.

July 27, 2009 at 7:22 pm
(13) Thanks for wasting my time says:

HEH. I AM SO GLAD THAT WE HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IN THIS COUNTRY…

I mean you know… this is news… And to the freepers and schmucks… YOU LOST. Stop hating. Deal with it…

July 30, 2009 at 8:30 am
(14) Afya says:

Hmm. I looked at the video over and over again and i think its not enough for one to conclude that Obama actually took a peep. Not as clear as it is for the guy next to him. But i hope he actually got that peep, he deserves it!