1. News & Issues

David Emery

Chupacabra Pictures & Video - Urban Legends

By September 2, 2009

UPDATE: July 14, 2010 - New "chupacabra" sighting in Hood County, Texas (via WOAI-TV News). Odds are it's a dead coyote with mange. (More video from WFAA-TV.)

Sep. 2, 1009 - Photos taken in Stillwell, Oklahoma and a news video shot in Blanco, Texas show specimens of what some people believe to be chupacabras (Spanish for "goat suckers"), mythical monsters described in Latin-American folklore as panther- or reptile-like bipeds with prominent fangs, forked tongues, and a ridge of sharp spines protruding from their backs. They're often blamed for livestock mutilations in places — e.g. Mexico, Central and South America, and the southwestern United States — where people believe such creatures actually exist.

Though neither of the recently photographed specimens, both found dead, boasts the requisite forked tongue or spinal ridge — in fact, they resemble nothing so much as hairless dogs or coyotes — they're definitely strange-looking enough to grab local headlines on a slow news day.

In past cases similar carcasses have proven on closer examination to be coyotes with mange.

Read more:
Photos: Woman Claims 'Chupacabra' Found Near Stillwell
Video: Is This a Chupacabra?
Man Believes He Has Frozen Chupacabra
Strange-Looking Animal Creates Buzz, Adds to Myth of Chupacabra
Texas' Blood-Sucking Monster
Skeptic's Dictionary: Chupacabra

Comments

September 3, 2009 at 3:18 pm
(1) Indra says:

I’m no animal expert but it looks like a dog that had some disease to cause it to lose its fur. I have a german shepard/retriever mix named Bernie and she has teeth very similiar to that of the “beast.” I was just told that she has “long” canine teeth for a dog her size but its not a health issue. I have always read that the El Chupacabra was more lizard like then dog like but again, that’s just the stories I have read, decide for yourself.

March 29, 2011 at 12:41 am
(2) Mrfixit318 says:

ur absolutely right..i dont know if anyone remembers but there was actual news footage of it caught and very much alive..i could tell it was real because the camera guy was scared to get close to it even though it was inside of a barred cell like cage and u can see it actually wrapping its hands around the bars..it freaked me out cause i was finally seeing that the legend was true..the barbs on it body werent that long like portraid in certain drawings they were medium sized its head was squarish round and had a pointy chin..the body resembled a velocile raptor almost accept it had longer arms and the feet were the same accept they were a little longer which definitely explains it high jumping capabilities if anyone can find this footage again please reply..im almost positive that it was on american news but it definitely was shown on spanish news but only one time and it to just disappeared. The worst part is that nobody remembers it i feel like im the only f—in on that was at home watching tv at the time.

May 31, 2011 at 11:40 am
(3) 13spellman says:

The reason no one remembers it is cuz its not from the news, you made that up, its from the history channel or discovery. I saw it on one of the shows where they hunt legends and try to get proof of them. its a coyote with a skin disorder.

September 4, 2009 at 7:02 am
(4) Anita says:

This is a Peruvian hairless dog. Anyone visiting Peru will see them all over the country.

September 7, 2009 at 1:12 am
(5) Cynthia Gee says:

It’s a large male coati with mange. Mange is epizootic in coatis in the desert southwest, and the animal’s teeth show that it is, indeed, a male coati:

September 13, 2009 at 6:47 pm
(6) Tracy says:

Peruvian hairless google it. Looks just like this supposed chupacabra. LOL.

November 14, 2009 at 8:50 am
(7) jamie says:

looks like a cross between a coyote and a wild pig that mated. ya never know in the wild

November 23, 2009 at 11:32 pm
(8) sly says:

Yup, Definitely a Chupacabra. Trust me I recieve regular visits from them.

January 23, 2010 at 2:16 pm
(9) Nate says:

Oh, this is most definitely a chupacabra. I raise chupacabras on my ranch in Arizona. I have about 200 or so of free range chupacabra and there is absolutley no mistaking this. They are actually quite docile animals. I sell most of mine each year to Pet stores who in turn, repackage them and sell the larger ones as Peruvian hairless dogs and the smaller ones as Chinese Cresteds.

March 6, 2010 at 3:09 pm
(10) gia berg says:

If it is a chupacabra send us pictuers on line so we can see for our selves.

March 6, 2010 at 10:37 pm
(11) jb says:

I think Nate needs to quit smoking whatever he is smoking

March 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm
(12) bob says:

THis sucks

March 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm
(13) Gary says:

There is a small breeding population of chupacabras in Perkasie PA. They are tame and we hand feed some of them. They all fear the whip though. Some of them have come in to our house and they eat dog food. Thgey do not like white trash though and run them off

March 8, 2010 at 8:44 pm
(14) Kurt says:

Next Monday there will be two of them on Oprah

March 8, 2010 at 8:51 pm
(15) Kareem Ovweat says:

There is a large pack of them in Pennypack park. My sister in law and I were attacked by them while we were eating lunch on a blanket. They was near Kruisetown Rd. Mayor Nutter came by and saved our asses. I will vote fort him again

March 8, 2010 at 9:04 pm
(16) Myron Frankle says:

To Kareem Ovweat, You and your sister in law was smoking crack and it was probably just a squirell that you saw. There ain’t no chupacabras in Penny pack Park. Everyone knows they live in Fairmount Park and around the Zoo on the Belmopnt Plateau

March 8, 2010 at 9:14 pm
(17) Gary says:

There are three of them now at the birdfeeder. They like sunflower seeds. THe kids like to ride them. The main herd lives on Hill Rd and around the quarry in East Rockhill PA. You can see the rooting in the trash behind the Roy Annn diner

March 8, 2010 at 10:01 pm
(18) Holly says:

Roy Ann’s Diner should trap the chupacapras and put themm on the menu. It would help clean up the neighborhood and enhance the menu.

March 1, 2011 at 11:01 am
(19) jesus says:

you are my child

March 9, 2010 at 10:09 am
(20) Sandy says:

A mother chupacabra and a litter of pups were at the school bus stop this morning begging food from the kids there. I have noticed that the chupacabras do not like black squirells and they attack them. I am ahppy that Mayor Nutter did something good and saved Kareem’s life. He does want to put a 2 cent tax on every ounce of soda sold in Phila

To Holly, where is the Roy Ann diner?

March 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm
(21) Miss G says:

Chupacabras also enjoy long romantic walks on the beach, horseback riding, and listening to R&B.

March 9, 2010 at 9:48 pm
(22) Kareem Ovweat says:

Them ones in Pennypack Park that came around and interupted me an my sister in law when we was having some fun, seemed to like Barry White music. I think they escaped from the Philly Zoo. I think the ones in Texas are atracted to Freddy Fender. I can’t believe people let their kids ride on the chupacabras

March 17, 2010 at 8:06 am
(23) chupa says:

i am a chupacabra myself. i am a normal creature and just want to be left alone. So what if i enjoy the occasional livestock? And no, i dont look like a dog, im invisibla actuall and im at your house using your computer right now. You smell nice.

March 18, 2010 at 2:05 pm
(24) Elwood says:

To Chupa

We don’t need your foolishness heere. This is a serious place for people that know the Chupacabra is real I was recently on vacation to Gutamala and Mexico and I asled people about the Chupacabra, at the mention of the name the people became very fearful. Several had lost family and livestock. Keep your silly comments off of this board

March 27, 2010 at 3:53 pm
(25) chupie grl says:

yeah…chupacabra i liveby the border and see it often

April 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm
(26) jo mamma says:

dang elwood i thought we livid in a co;untry where we could actuly have so humor in our writings with out getin our heads bit of by psycos

April 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm
(27) Big Mike says:

A young one was spotted last night on the front area of Bay Cove resort in Cape May. It appeared to be dragging a dead deer. As I tried to get closer, it attacked and I was lucky to get back into my Hybrid Toyota

June 28, 2010 at 4:19 pm
(28) Kacey says:

I went to google and typed in Peruvian hairless that is not a chupacabra. I have seen one before and that IS NOT it.

July 14, 2010 at 6:36 pm
(29) Nikolas says:

Le Chupacabra is real, I caught one a year ago and tried to keep it alive in a cage but it died. I fed it raw meat but it wouldn’t eat so I went down the road and bought some pheasants from a farmer. It liked them but would never kill in front of me, the pictures of birds and other animals with puncture wounds in there knecks is true, it would never eat the carcass just the fluids. I dont understand how something could survive on just blood, etc;. It lived for about 2 months and them 2 months were very mysterious, I was haveing nightmares of this thing killing my family dragging me back to its den and feeding its young from my blood. Every night was crazy, sometimes it sounded like it had visitors, I would hear things moving outside in the night like a dog walking but more than one and there was no barking or growling just panting and breathing. I finally got fed up with it and was going to destroy the animal, I walked to the cage and it was dead. It looked as if it had been dead for a week or so but I fed it every day. The strangest thing of all is when i had the animal in captivity we had no coyotes or fox or even squirells, now that it’s gone the other animals are back!?

July 17, 2010 at 10:34 am
(30) Myron Frankle says:

Thursday night, 7/15, Fox in Philadelphia, had a story about two chupacabras that had been shot by a rancher in Texas. Seeing is believing!! There should no longer be any doubt after seeing these pictures. They are a scary looking monsters.

July 18, 2010 at 6:43 pm
(31) diana says:

i mean come on people u see the videos and the pics what else do u need r u waitin for them to tell the world that what they been finding is a chupa come on youll b waiting a lifetime open your eyes people do research its there i dont give a crap this wa my first time reading on this i looked up site the pics look the same as the ones people r catchin if its so fake y do allthe captured ones looks like the pics i saw on them aint no way somebody fakin this but what i wil say is y such a secret damn yall rsearchers dont kno what animals made this creature all yall can say its a coyote with mange get the ell out of here yall kno exactly what goin on jus keep it real cuz it has geans of a coyote it has to b a coyote with mange com on seen plenty of coyotes never once have i seen one like that i mean the chup got long back legs short front legs what kind of coyote is this again so since this animal has minge it gives it growth spurts wake up people do your homework b4 u have something to say

July 20, 2010 at 6:18 pm
(32) Kareem Ovweat says:

The more I see of these things, I think that they am eztrtrestials, you know, from anuther planet

May 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(33) Chunga says:

I’m fairly certain Elvis and Bigfoot have been stocking the earth with chupacabras from the planet where they are currently residing.