1. News & Issues

David Emery

AirTran: Flight 297 Emailer Wasn't Even on the Plane

By December 5, 2009

(UPDATED) The "eyewitness" who wrote a viral email describing a minor passenger disturbance aboard AirTran Airways Flight 297 in the Atlanta airport November 17 as a "terrorist dry run" wasn't even on the plane, airline officials said in a statement quoted by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Friday.

Tedd Petruna was booked on Flight 297, the statement confirmed, but his connecting flight from Akron arrived too late for him to board the Houston-bound plane. (NOTE: Petruna has responded that he was, in fact, on the plane and claims he has a boarding pass to prove it. See update below.)

AirTran had previously taken issue with the specifics of Petruna's self-aggrandizing account, which the company described as "an urban legend." It certainly contains no shortage of melodrama.

Would a real Muslim terrorist (as opposed to, say, one you might see depicted in a B movie or a comic book) yell "Shut up, infidel dog!" at a flight attendant?

Would they do so during what is supposed to be a secret "terrorist dry run"?

You be the judge.

12/07/09 Update:

Laura Armstrong of the Marietta Daily Journal provided two new pieces of information in her December 6 column, "The Curious Case of Air Tran Flight 297."

First, she spoke to Tedd Petruna, who, though he admits "taking artistic license with a couple of points," says he was, in fact, on the plane and has a boarding pass to prove it. Now it's a question of Petruna's documentation against the airline's. Let's hope the opportunity to compare the two presents itself.

Second, Armstrong spoke to another passenger on Flight 297, security expert Brent C. Brown, who backs up some, but not all, of Petruna's account, including the allegation that the "suspicious men" were belligerent and refused to sit down, creating tension and "chaos" aboard the plane. According to Armstrong, Brown described the passengers who chose to get off the plane when it returned to the gate as "traumatized." (See video of Brown answering questions about the incident via WSB-TV in Atlanta.)

Brown's observations conflict with certain aspects of the airline's version of events, while confirming several of the claims of another (partial) eyewitness, Dr. Keith Robinson, a chaplain from Texas. Robinson wasn't yet aboard the flight when the fracas occurred, but experienced its aftermath when he boarded after the plane returned to the gate. He noted a considerable degree of agitation and stress among the deboarding crew and passengers, as well as those who stayed on the flight, which he took as an indication that something more serious had happened than the airline admits.

02/23/10 Update:

Affidavits filed the day of the incident by all three flight attendants aboard Flight 297 describe problems they had dealing with a group of passengers described as "unruly" and "uncooperative," but there's no mention of men in "Muslim garb" shouting threats in Arabic or having physical confrontations with other passengers. View the documents...

Read more:
Viral Email: Flight 297 Atlanta to Houston
AirTran 'Hero' Wasn't on Plane, Airline Says
AirTran 297 - Anatomy of an Urban Legend
The Curious Case of AirTran Flight 297
AirTran Flight 297 Incident (by Dr. Keith A. Robinson)
AirTran Email Stirs Up Internet Firestorm
New Docs On Disputed AirTran Flight Shows No Muslim Hijack Attempt

Comments

December 6, 2009 at 3:03 pm
(1) CVollmecke says:

You might want to read the account of the Chaplain. Hopefully he will not be called a liar. Snopes has the 6 page document. Pretty convincing to me

The point is that political correctness has gone too far. The Iman were tesing the waters when they sued Southwest Airlines. This has enboldened them greatly. It is only a matter of time before another terrorist attack. We need to be on our toes.

December 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm
(2) B.C. Brown says:

I was on the plane. The e-mail is one man’s fantasy of being a hero, but REAL events did happen and the Captain and crew should be commened for protecting our safety because AirTran as a company sure wan’t intrested in it. It was NOT simply a minor disturbance, it was a major securoity breech and this false hero has given Airtran cover ! Please check your facts !!!

December 7, 2009 at 2:29 pm
(3) An American says:

well this person may not have been on the plane…maybe its because he knew to get off before something DID happen! Air Tran just covered it up by saying he never made it on the flight…
Its obvious SOMETHING did happen and now Air Tran is trying to sweep it under the rug because they handled it poorly…Big surprise!

December 7, 2009 at 5:31 pm
(4) doctordon says:

Watch what people from that flight have had to say about their experience on flight 297. It’s on WSB-TV (Atlanta) now. It probably will be on their web site later – as well as YouTube. You can also read about it at Snopes.com. Evidently, Airtran needs to be investigated for the manner in which this was NOT reported to Homeland Security. Further, it sounds as if these eleven men were displaying their disdain for women as authority figures.

December 8, 2009 at 2:34 pm
(5) Pierre Investigator says:

RE: Can you confirm this story about AIRTRAN 297?
Monday, December 7, 2009 1:44 PM

Nancy Simpson”

This is to confirm that Mr. Brown was on the flight and the statements quoted below are accurate.

Nancy M. Simpson
Vice President – Support Services
Chesley Brown International

December 8, 2009 at 11:54 pm
(6) laguna says:

I looked on Snopes and there is not a thing about this story.

Its a good fictional story.

December 9, 2009 at 2:54 am
(7) SYS says:

Snopes has it now:

There is disagreement about what really happened on the plane. But the bottom line is that the “brave Texan” who wrote the email that is at the heart of this story, wasn’t on the plane and is not telling the truth. Of course he has a boarding pass; he was originally scheduled for the flight. I am more inclined to believe the CREDIBLE witnesses, such as B.C. Brown here. I do believe that there was a disturbance on the plane, involving more than one person and more than one member of the flight crew. I also read the chaplain’s account. Much of it is editorializing. I was NOT on the plane, so I will reserve judgment … at this time!

Oh, and neanderthal babblings such as the one by Dave Scott, is a reason why there should be moderation on this board.

December 9, 2009 at 7:09 am
(8) Murfdog27 says:

So all Muslims are the best thing that ever happened to our world? If that is true- why are there NO TWIN TOWERS in New york??? Are we Americans really infidels?? They are BETTER than us in all their beliefs? Cut off a head sometime & then tell the world you are supreme?? They should ALL die a terrible death- then go see the virgins!!

December 9, 2009 at 7:40 pm
(9) LadyGreenEyes says:

The airline claims he wasn’t on the plane, but he claims to have his boarding pass. Someone is lying! I suspect the airline, so they can avoid Muslim lawsuits, as happened with the flying imams a few years back. Other witnesses report things that support this man’s story. A chaplain even reports hearing comments from passengers that got off the plane, describing how these Muslims used their fingers to mimic shooting the other passengers. Note, too, that the passenger with the phone and his “interpreter” were NOT allowed back on the flight. Note, too, that 2.5 hours is about right for removing ans searching their luggage, which the airline claims didn’t happen. Their official statement is full of holes.

December 10, 2009 at 9:49 am
(10) slyfox says:

Hmmm, don’t they take ypur boarding pass from you when you board the plane ? If so why does he still have it?

January 15, 2011 at 10:23 pm
(11) starr says:

They scan your boarding pass and hand it right back to you..I have all my boarding passes from all the flights i’ve ever been on..so it is very likely he has his boarding pass after it was scanned!!

October 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm
(12) alcarp says:

Flew from Buffalo to Ft Lauderdale, Lauderdale to Miami, Miami to Buffalo. Dont have any boarding passes – all were taken by airline reps.

December 10, 2009 at 10:18 am
(13) DB- says:

He insists he was on the plane & the airline says he never boarded? Hummm! I think I’ll believe the individual before I would a corporation. At any rate the entire incident should be investigated by a comptent authority & someone should be held accountable.

Now, there may be a problem with that too. It seems everyone, including our congress, thinks we the public can’t handle the truth so how are we ever to know?

Isn’t there anyone out there we can trust to get at the truth for us? It used to be the news media but even they have been bought off.

December 10, 2009 at 11:49 am
(14) wh0c4rez says:

to slyfox: No, they don’t take your boarding pass from you. Most of my boarding passes end up being used as bookmarks for whatever book I am reading during my travels. I’ve got lots of them stuffed all over.

December 10, 2009 at 3:59 pm
(15) frqntflr says:

As for the Boarding Pass questions. I have personally had this happen to me. I am a frequent flier and a year or so ago, I noticed I had not received my miles from a flight. I contacted the airline to get my ff miles and was told they do not have record of me on the plane. I DID have my Boarding Pass to prove it. When I asked the airline, “Then, who was seated in Seat XYZ (my seat)?”, their response was, “we show that seat was empty”. So, let me tell you first hand………..it DOES HAPPEN.

December 10, 2009 at 4:39 pm
(16) W. Krauss says:

“Would a real Muslim terrorist yell “Shut up, infidel dog!” at a flight attendant asking him to turn off an electronic device?”

Yes, they are capable of, and worst; beyond of the imaginable. I spent 9 years of my life in Saudi Arabia, and that happened frequently.

October 6, 2011 at 7:41 pm
(17) eversky says:

Well that means Arabians do that (and I know that); doesn’t mean all muslims can do that. not all muslims are arabians, not all arabians are muslims.

December 10, 2009 at 7:40 pm
(18) Jammer says:

Why report it to Homeland Security? obama and his puppets will protect the trouble makers, not pursue actions against them.

December 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm
(19) Petengc says:

If Snopes says it isn’t true, chances are good that if it has to do with Obama and his cohorts that it is true. I haVE SEEN MANY sNOPE ARTICLES WHICH FAVOR oBAMA AND THE DEMOCRATS.

December 11, 2009 at 7:17 am
(20) BA Loper says:

Sounds to me like a security exercise using actors. What terrorists would really act so ‘high profile”?

December 11, 2009 at 10:46 am
(21) Joel says:

Actually, it is widely conjectured on the Internet that the writers/owners of the Snopes site are leftists and slant their “urban legend” labels in favor of leftist causes. You are not the only one to say this….

December 12, 2009 at 2:31 am
(22) Chuck S. says:

Ref. (2) B.C. Brown.

Although Mr. Brown’s comments never really support any of the Tedd email story or the crazy claims of some of the commenters here, it might be easier to grant him some credibility if he could spell at 7th grade level.

Note: commened; wan’t; intrested; securoity; breech.

We’re being urged by some to believe that absurd email because it is “supported” by a highly respected and qualified professional, B.C. Brown. What a joke.

December 12, 2009 at 1:47 pm
(23) Elvis is alive! says:

What I love about right wing nutjobs is that they never let the truth get in the way of a good, completely ludicrous conspiracy theory with racist overtones. When someone dares discredit the story (and it is widely discredited), you simply claim that’s part of the conspiracy as well (i.e. Obama and his cohorts, Snopes is leftist, etc.). Just want to let you know that I am laughing AT you, not with you. You are the clowns of America. You are a farce. Buh-bye!

December 15, 2009 at 4:11 pm
(24) dragon6actual says:

What I love about left wing jutjobs is that they never acknowledge that incidents and worse to occur. If no one is harmed, they insist that those who ask questions are overreacting, claiming it’s part of a conspiricy, etc. However, the instant blood is spilled, the same “enlightened souls” are the first to scream “Why didn’t authorities do something? They knew…”

The only fact we know is that the flight returned to the gate after departure and that it was delayed 2.5 hours. Something happened, and 2.5 hours delay does not explain a “non incident”. Something did indeed occur. The prudent thing to do is find out what happened. No airline will p!ss 2.5 hours away simply to remove an electronic device that a passenger fails to turn off when told to do so.

The “dry run” theory is entirely plausible, since this occurs frequently. Dud IEDs are occasionally planted so coalition forces can easily discover them. The target is uncovering proceedures, as an insurgent films how the first responders deal with the situation. A dry run will allow discovery of the flight crew’s proceedure for such situations, generate press in favor of potential perpetrators (“airlines out of line – racial profiling led to delays, film at eleven”) and allow idiots to insist “What I love about right wing nutjobs is that they never let the truth get in the way of a good, completely ludricous conspiracy theory with racist overtones.”

December 16, 2009 at 3:56 pm
(25) Elvis is alive! says:

To Dragon6actual: You are entitled to your own opinion, but you aren’t entitled to your own facts. I never doubted that something happened, just that the versions being bloviated around the net are factually challenged. NO ONE has produced any evidence whatsoever that the ‘incident’ was anything more than a miscommunication and poorly handled customer service. All the paranoid racist trimmings to the story have been debunked – no muslim clothing, no singing and dancing, no infidel dog name calling. Flights get delayed because some passengers are drunk a-holes, which also makes the news from time to time. But no one ever suggests that the alcoholics are terrorists.

December 16, 2009 at 9:51 pm
(26) JakartaDean says:

It seems the Ted guy wasn’t on the flight, and Chaplain Robinson wasn’t on the flight at the time of the incident. However, he isn’t shy about exhorting people in the West to rise up against the “muslim enemy within.” http://commonsenseagainstislam.websanon.com/?p=549

Maybe I’m getting infected by the conspiracy theorists, as I’m starting to worry there’s one going the other way: the two Texans, both scheduled on the flight, neither makes it but one hangs around and is at the gate when the plane returns, agree that a terrible incident occurred. I think I need more coffee or something, because I’m not usually a conspiracy nut job.

Dean

December 26, 2009 at 12:40 am
(27) Rudy Tidwell says:

The landslide of conflicting statements is so confusing as each one expresses their won “informed opinion” that I doubt if the “terrorists” themselves could now give a straight account of what actually happened on the plane!However, they are terrorists and we could expect them to be truthful. So, maybe we should wait for the NY Times or the Boston Globe to give us the facts about what happened! Maybe it’s like DB says above, it may be better to believe an individual than a corporation! And I would also add, how can we believe Homeland Security with their overflowing insecurity?

January 13, 2010 at 9:36 am
(28) BigBigEasy says:

Just a comment on the boarding pass issue. I take lots of long trips that involve connections, in all of those flights I’m given a boarding pass for the connecting flight at my initial departure point. As I’m an eticket kind of guy, it’s actually the only time I get a real boarding pass, but it doesn’t mean I’m going to get on my connecting flight.

So having a boarding pass is like having having a ticket to next weeks NFL playoff game. Do I want to be there and will I most likely be there… you bet…. but it doesn’t mean I am there….

January 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm
(29) L. Chandler says:

I think the names Gene Hackemack and Tedd Petruna look or sound too much like Gene Hackman and Ted Turner. The chain email sounds much like the Balloon Boy incident.

February 3, 2010 at 6:08 pm
(30) dragon6actual says:

RE Post 22

“Your “dry run” scenario mentioning IED’s is irrelevant and a red herring. But then again, you seem to know quite a bit about how terrorists operate, even how they relate to the media. You heard it hear first folks. Dragon6actual is a Muslim terrorist!!! I read it on blog! This one!”

No, this is not “irrevelant” or a “red herring” – this is commonly done by operatives. I made no mention of “muslim clothing, no singing and dancing, no infidel dog name calling”, and if you’ll recall, Mohammed Atta was very well dressed and clean shaven prior to his last act.

Your astute commentary is precisely why those engaging in fourth generation warfare remain successful. Elvis, denial is not a river in Africa. I suggest that you stick with whatever it is you do for a day job; clearly you are out of your league here.

And yes, I do know a bit about how terrorists operate. Someone has to **** ******* ** ****** *******, remain informed, sift thourgh the intel and contribute to the failure of those who push their agenda with the aid of semtex.

October 18, 2010 at 5:07 pm
(31) cbenny says:

Air Tran is a POS of an airline. Anyway, why were all of these guys NOT sitting together?

November 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm
(32) Tommy says:

I have to agree with Rudy Tidwell and D.B, I do not trust the government of the USA or Canada, where I live. If Tedd says he was on the plane, I believe him. We the general public are only fed what the governments want us to hear.

December 2, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(33) Tom H says:

Here’s the official report. Put this on your website!

December 2, 2010 at 6:14 pm
(34) David Emery says:

Tom H.,

That is in no sense an “official report.”

December 3, 2010 at 7:39 am
(35) Gabe says:

Don’t they take your boarding pass when you get on the plane? AirTran confirmed that he was booked for the flight, so if he checked in at Akron, he would have gotten the boarding pass, which he then could try yo use as “evidence” that he was on the flight.

December 13, 2010 at 11:22 am
(36) Mike says:

Sure a Muslim terrorist would yell “shut up infidel dog”. Why would anyone even question this?

December 20, 2010 at 7:33 pm
(37) the fiddler says:

No One doing Something they know is Wrong or unacceptable to the Majority, Wants to be Confronted or even Questioned . That would Include terrorists or even Child Molestors. I believe they Both as well as other evildoers Need to be exposed. To show them and other likeminded individuals That it is not going to be accepted or HushHushed in any Case.

December 26, 2010 at 6:33 am
(38) HiTek Rednek says:

In America, it’s flight attendants, not stewardess.

December 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm
(39) ben harwell says:

Someone please explain why Muslims are defended so agressively? Whereas Christians are hounded from every corner and no one seems to care…. but question a Muslim or their “religion” and you are criticized beyond all sense.

Why?

January 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm
(40) Bob says:

The fact that Mr. Petruna has a boarding pass for the flight does not mean he was actually on it. Passengers receive the boarding pass when they check in. If they later miss a connection they still have the original boarding pass they were issued earlier, even though they did not take the flight.

The boarding pass only proves that he had a ticket for the flight, it is not proof that he actually took it.

January 13, 2011 at 10:36 am
(41) billy says:

Muslims are a protected species in this country. They can do whatever they want knowing they will be protected by the Politically Correct.
Something happened on that Aircraft involving 10 or 11 Muslims but the Airlines and or Homeland Security do not seem to want to investigate it properly even in the slightest chance Muslims might be offended. God forbid we offend a Muslim.

How soon 9/11 is forgot. There are a lot of law abiding peaceful Muslims in this country who are proud to be called American, however, there are those who would cause us great harm if given the slightest chance.

What were these 11 clowns really up to?

January 13, 2011 at 10:37 am
(42) Billy says:

Just remember what happened on Flight 93

January 18, 2011 at 10:15 am
(43) Chris says:

Ok here is the deal. How the heck does anyone on this blog know if the Homeland Security investigated this or not? Do you really think they want something like this to hit the news? Of course they don’t, but that doesn’t mean something isn’t or hasn’t been done about it. Were the investigating officals supposed to bring everyone in on their investigation and let everyone know the results and what’s going on. If America knew of every single terrorist threat that comes through our boarders it would make you sick. Homeland security, Department of Defense, Department of State and many other agencies are doing their jobs to the best of their ability and don’t have time to sit there and send out a national news report on every “possible terroist threat.” You people need to relax and do your jobs and let them do theirs. If you think you can do it better then maybe you should apply with the agency or join the military or something otherwise relax and be glad that nothing happend and hope that these guy’s were taken care of in the proper manner. There are some things I do argee with, but for the most part it sounds like a bunch of people who probably have never worked for any time of Security protecting America from terrorism (I’m not saying everyone just most). The other thing that makes me sick is how much people complain about the security coming through the airport and then they complain cause Homeland security isn’t doing their job. Us Americans will never be happy and that is sad. We are so spoiled over here in America and I will people could go to some of these other countries and experience their culture for a couple weeks and we would really appreciate what we have over here. If “big texas” stood up and did something about this my hat is off to you brother and I hope more Americans would do this after what happend Sept 11th. Take care everyone and just take a deep breath and realize we are in the best country in the world. I will be awaiting the bashing comments :)

January 19, 2011 at 5:31 pm
(44) Adrian Vance says:

The boarding pass would appear to prove the story and I find David Emory’s criticisms to be the typical snarky kind given by smirking liberals who just know they are smarter than anyone and are politically correct to boot!

Free conservative thought, science and humor at: http://adrianvance.blogspot.com The Two Minute Conservative for radio/tv hosts, opinion page editors and you. Also on Kindle.

June 25, 2011 at 10:30 am
(45) AirMarshall says:

I am certainly glad I was not on that flight. Not for my own safety – but theirs. They would not have wanted to deal with me.
Their actions likely warranted arrest. Unfortunately, it is true that due to prior litigation, proper procedure in a case such as this is stretched somewhat in the favor of the perpetrators.
It is up to all of us to have no tolerance for this kind of behavior and to protect ourselves and our loved ones to the extent necessary.
It is necessary to just get mean – really mean – at times.

October 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm
(46) florida boy says:

I used to have a lot of faith in Snopes. I always envisioned a large building full of people constantly travelling the world checking out urban ledgends.
I found out that Snopes consists of a husband and wife working out of a double wide trailer outside of LA. They seldom go anywhere to verify anything. So if Snopes says it’s true, it probably isn’t and vice versa.

February 13, 2012 at 2:06 pm
(47) toolow66 says:

@CVollmecke

The chaplain was NOT an eyewitness, he just retold someone else’s tall tale.

This isn’t about political correctness. This is about someone being such a racist ass that he felt the need to make up stories to legitimize his bigotry. … And it’s about the others fell in behind him.

As for the boarding pass – Tedd P printed it out beforehand and later missed the freaking flight. Duh! Besides, Tedd even admitted in the press that nearly all of what he said was a hoax.

August 5, 2012 at 11:15 am
(48) paul says:

as of this moment we have no strong leaders. all are quaking in their boots about the P.C. of saying anything. Look. We are Americans and we reserve the right to accept or reject anything that comes out any politicians mouth. They have proven themselves to be in the game only for themselves…thats all

November 5, 2012 at 9:33 am
(49) samashcam3 says:

Whether this Tedd guy had a boarding pass or not, everyone seems to be missing the point that the plane did come back to terminal and had a 2.5 hour delay. Let’s face it, airlines are in to make money not throw it away. Why would they turn around? Why would they chance losing the money from a plane full of passengers? Something did happen! If it would have been just mechanical or ordinary stuff, it wouldn’t have made the Internet like it did. Everyone needs to wake up and smell the coffee! Something happened!

I’m sorry but I don’t trust ANY government right now. Doesn’t matter which country. How can 911 happen? Seriously? More than one plane highjacked? More than one plane off course?

Why do you think Egypt’s government cut off Internet for a week?

How can China redirect all the States Internet to them for one hour?

Why is there so much talk about Muslims, iran, etc.. government lets it happen because they want oil!

At least Australia is smart enough to say that if someone doesn’t like their religion and culture, that they can just stay out of the country!

There is so much corruption right now it’s pathetic and sad! These people that have money and the government in their pocket think we are just stupid sheep! We need to get out of our bubble to see what is really happening out there and even in our own backyards!

Just looking at this story which happened in 2009, we are now in 2012 and we know alot has been hidden from us. It won’t stop either. We just need to be aware and question the FACTS ….although those are also hidden from us…..

December 15, 2012 at 1:39 pm
(50) Judy says:

The stupidity of people astounds me. For those who say it proves he was on the plane because he had a boarding pass, don’t know what they’re talking about.

As an airline employee, I can tell you when you check in for your originating and connecting flights, you receive BOTH boarding passes. If for some reason, you don’t get on both or one of the flights, you still have your boarding passes. That DOESN’T prove you were on the flights.

The snopes.com comments are also a “butcher-job” to discredit these people who have been instrumental in disputing tons of stuff oer the years. If you check out other “urban legend/fact check” websites, they also give the same information.

It is easy to discredit someone on-line and then get a slew of people to blindly follow along because it was “on the internet”. Most stuff you see there is about 99% innacurate, distorted, or downright lies.

I find most people accept “as gospel” only those things they want to support their own opinions, and the “heck” with the truth……

February 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm
(51) Pelican64 says:

It has been my experience that the Arline’s motives are to ensure filled seats and will likely downplay incidents like this to protect their seat sales. As for the emailer, I don’t know. In any case flights have been cancelled or landed due to unruly passengers with less provocation than this event. Seems a bit suspicious that these bums were given a pass.

April 25, 2013 at 8:47 am
(52) Lizard says:

@Judy: you are correct that having a boarding pass does NOT confirm he was on the flight. Thank you for clearing that up! Your calling people “stupid” just because they don’t travel frequently enough to know that just demonstrates your own arrogance and why most of us hate airline employees — especially stewardesses LOL — are you one by chance???

Finally, as for “most stuff out there being 99% inaccurate, etc” — then your own arguments in favor of the Snopes Trailer Park Couple falls flat on its face, doesn’t it?

August 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm
(53) Easy E says:

Never believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see!