1. News & Issues

David Emery

FACEBOOK HOAX: 'Girl Who Killed Herself' Virus Warning

By August 6, 2010

(UPDATED) Also known as: "Girl kills herself over Facebook post."

When last I checked, variants of the following message were replicating on Facebook at the rate of about once every 10 seconds:

WARNING: THERE IS A VIRUS GOING AROUND AGAIN, IF YOU SEE A GIRL WHO KILLED HERSELF OVER SOMETHING HER FATHER WROTE ON HER WALL DO NOT OPEN IT, IT IS A VIRUS AND IT WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO DELETE IT, PLEASE PASS THIS ON BEFORE SOMEONE OPENS IT. (IT IS A SELF REPLICATING TROJAN)

Here's another version:

WARNING!!!!! IF YOU SEE A STATUS APPEAR ON YOUR WALL ABOUT A STORY OF A GIRL WHO KILLED HERSELF BECAUSE OF SOMETHING HER FATHER WROTE ON HER FACEBOOK WALL!!! DO NOT OPEN IT !!!! IT IS A VIRUS AND WILL RELEASE A TOJAN VIRUS IN TO YOUR COMPUTOR. PLEASE CUT AND PASTE THIS TO YOUR WALL!!!!

No such virus or Trojan exists per se. What does exist — i.e., what people have evidently mistaken for a virus because they don't understand how and why it spreads — is a clickjacking scam wherein Facebook users are tricked into following links that promise to show them a post that caused a girl to kill herself. No such post exists. If you click on the link, the first thing that happens is that you're asked to share it with friends or grant a third-party app permission to post to your page (bad idea). You're then asked to complete a survey (which is how the scammers make money — by driving traffic to it). You'll never see that supposed wall post that caused a girl to commit suicide, because it isn't there.

So, this much is true: if you see links about some girl killing herself because of something her dad posted, don't click on them — not because it's a "virus," but because it's a scam that keeps on spreading precisely because people like you and me keep getting suckered into replicating it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It does sometimes happen that after a user clicks past the point of sharing one of these scam videos, one of the options offered is a "free download" of "security" software. Needless to say (I hope), it's unwise to accept such an offer from an unknown source because it could, in fact, contain some form of malware.

Read more:
Girl Killed Herself, After Her Dad Posted this to Her Wall? No, a New Spin on a Facebook Scam

Help me track Facebook rumors:
How to Submit Suspected Hoaxes & Urban Legends

Comments

December 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm
(1) Mike says:

READ the content of what the Applications want control over before you ALLOW any of them.. Why wouldnt most of these stories if REAL, just let you read about it instead of asking for you to GRANT the API to your information?

If you dont get the point, i feel sorry for your FB Friends..

December 16, 2010 at 10:40 am
(2) Amanda says:

Well if its just an app that posts on your wall, then cant it just be fixed by adjusting the application settings and removing it?

I mean i have read nothing helpful here about how to FIX IT… instead of bashing internet retards, just give a solution to the problem.

There will always be some scam or hoax or whatever on the internet, and many people will fall prey to it… giving advice along the lines of “ITs not a VIRUS, just an app, that when you select ALLOW, you just gave the API to post to your friends, your wall, and access all your friends contact info… When you ALLOW these types of HOAX it is a SCAM in a way, now the API will be posting repeatedly crap stories to get you to ALLOW another API…” still does not help people who have already clicked.

Solutions to the actual problem would be appreciated. We all know that if we NEVER click on anything, then we would not be in this situation in the first place, but try to move past that and offer help if you can.

December 17, 2010 at 7:51 pm
(3) Stephanie says:

It asks you to agree to share and allow the app access to your info, and your friends info – which is a standard sort of thing for most FB apps – however – in this case there is clearly an ulterior motive – I only clicked on it because a good friend of mine had what appeared to be a genuine post expressing the fact that they cried when they read it. Once I realised it was a hoax , I exited and guess what I found ( and deleted and reported ) : the exact same post on my wall, ie all my friends would now think the same as me . Except I had viewed nothing, and my only tears were ones of irritation. It may not be a virus – but it’s very clearly malicious.

December 18, 2010 at 2:04 am
(4) Tim says:

You all might want to read this before getting too upset.

December 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm
(5) Jan says:

For years now, thanks to a scotch blessing from a friend for pissing hoax emails, I do a search, either through google our another search engine to get the “full scoop” before diving right in. I don’t know HOW many times I have posted on my own status links to check on these latest scams! When a subject turns out to be real, I will go ahead and leave a comment or something. If not, I send a warning to the person that its fake. My question is….when I click and enter a reply to the sick post, do these things have a way of getting into my own info (per se)???

December 19, 2010 at 1:43 am
(6) Haley says:

I got that and it let me delete it. And I checked my virus update and it showed nothing.

December 19, 2010 at 1:00 pm
(7) Ash says:

NO I OPENED IT!!!! :O

December 20, 2010 at 12:39 am
(8) xcvhjvghcx says:

December 21, 2010 at 10:14 am
(9) KELECHI NWAGBARA says:

OMG, I JUST OPENED IT. HOW DO I DELETE IT

December 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm
(10) Bella says:

I think the virus thing got in there because this has been described as a “viral hoax”- meaning the hoax has gone viral (it has spread exponentially), not that it is a virus.

December 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm
(11) margaret says:

how do you F@#%!!!!g get rid of it!!!!???