1. News & Issues

David Emery

Urban Legends: The Wizard of Oz Hanging / Munchkin Suicide

By August 12, 2010

Google's special logo for August 12, 2010 reminds us that it's the 71st anniversary of the release of The Wizard of Oz, which, though we now think of it as a classic film, wasn't all that highly regarded until it became a TV staple during the late 1950s.

An urban legend of more recent origin (possibly coinciding with the 50th anniversary video release in 1989) holds that unbeknownst to the director, cast, and crew, one of the actors who played a munchkin in the film committed suicide while the camera was rolling and for some reason the shot was never edited out. It can still be seen to this day (including in YouTube clips, some of which contain helpful blow-ups).

Here's an example of the factoid as posted on the Internet in 1993:

A co-worker told me today that there is a scene in the Wizard of Oz where you can see one of the midgets hanging from a rope in the background. She said set conditions were so bad, and all the midgets were treated really badly, and one decided to hang himself on a prop tree.

Amazingly, it's still in circulation despite having been debunked ad infinitum (by munchkin confidante Paula Poundstone, among others). As many have pointed out (and as can be clearly enough seen even in the fuzzy video clips), the dimly-lit figure moving around in the background of the scene is actually one of the live exotic birds distributed around the set for visual interest.

Read more:
The Wizard of Oz - About.com Classic Movies

Comments

October 15, 2010 at 8:19 pm
(1) dean says:

what if i can prove that there is someone hanging in the wizard of oz that no one else has is there a reward for proving that there is because i have run across something that nobody has ever seen

October 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm
(2) april says:

i wouls love to see it! i dont own the movie but i belive there was hanging it just wasnt whre they say it is in the movie

October 18, 2010 at 11:25 am
(3) Pixie says:

I heard not a munchkin but the guy that didn’t get the role of the scarecrow.

October 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm
(4) dean says:

they thaught that optted it out but they missed a scene that shows the entire body up close just people dont know where to look, and i have found it.

October 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm
(5) mike says:

@ dean.
sure bud. a billion people have watched this movie countless times and ONLY you have seen the ‘full hanging body’
no one is going to reward you but by all means prove me wrong and tell me what time to look at during the movie.
but wait let me guess i should find it myself because your waiting for the reward thats not coming right?

October 26, 2010 at 5:46 pm
(6) dean says:

dear mike come to Louisville Ky and I will be glad too show YOu

October 26, 2010 at 5:50 pm
(7) dean says:

Mike ive put it out there if i can not get a reward than im going to show it too the news for all to see

November 29, 2010 at 10:59 am
(8) Madi says:

Yeah, you do that, Dean. If you’re going to tell us, tell us. Ah-DUH.

November 30, 2010 at 1:35 am
(9) Joe says:

Please oh please show the world what you have seen!!!! There is no reward but you will be the person known for finding it out!!!

April 7, 2011 at 1:36 pm
(10) Emi says:

If you watch the whole scene and pay attention to the dog…he runs in that direction its my belief that the shape is actually a dog trainer/owner throwing a reward to the stunt dog…or possibly calling him over.

April 27, 2011 at 7:27 pm
(11) kerry says:

If you’ve watched the movie countless times because you have kids, you can OBVIOUSLY tell that most of those “munchkins” are children. I highly doubt it’s a hanging body.

June 19, 2011 at 1:49 pm
(12) J Perry says:

@ kerry: sorry to inform you of this there weren’t as many “children” playing Munchkins as you think. Of the Munchkin actors, there are 124 midgets and 12 children.

July 26, 2011 at 1:39 am
(13) Juan says:

If you guys want to see the actual “hanging munchkin” scene, the only way would be watching the original VHS copy. After the DVD version was made, they replaced the “hanging munchkin” with a bird. That’s why, there’s a confusion on finding the actual “Hanging Munchkin”.

October 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm
(14) Jonny says:

the origional copy, the DVD and newer versions eddited it with a bird. so i believe this is true.

December 19, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(15) hannah says:

I have the original VHS version and its a bird. im on the fence with the whole hanging conspiracy, bc I’ve seen unedited videos and they look promising…still undecided on whether or not to believe its true.

January 5, 2012 at 9:55 am
(16) andy says:

I have made a video that proves without a doubt the hanging munchkin video is fake.
Its obvious once youve seen it, parts of the bird appear from nowhere, proving the bird has been edited out

January 23, 2012 at 5:36 am
(17) Elle says:

I have seen the original clip and there is definitely a hanging munchkin.. Believe what you want but you can even still slightly see his little munchkin costume on!!!

March 15, 2012 at 10:31 am
(18) paul johnson says:

youre all munchkins !! get a life !!

March 15, 2012 at 11:33 am
(19) josh says:

No one here seems to know that the scene in question was filmed before the munchkins were even on the set of the movie so how can it be a munchkin if there were none on set at that time its a bird!

March 17, 2012 at 9:38 pm
(20) Bobby says:

This discussion really strikes a nerve with me because nobody knows what they’re talking about. The scene with the hanging munchkin is NOT the scene in the forest, that is clearly a bird. It is when Dorothy first gets into Munchkinland before all the munchkins come out. I first saw it about 18 years ago on a VHS tape I recorded off of TV. It is not on the DVD and the earliest VHS release I have tracked down is 1983 and it is not there either. I’ve been looking for the original 1980 release of the VHS to review but I have not been able to get one as of yet. I have seen one comment over the years where someone has seen it like I remember it. The munchkin goes up a ladder and falls down, gets up and goes back up the ladder and hangs himself successfully. I will find it one day.

March 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm
(21) samie says:

@ dean -I have seen the close up one isn’t it right after they run into the wicked witch. I saw it a while back.

March 25, 2012 at 2:01 am
(22) Ian says:

Ok so i have the original version of the 1980s vhs tape of Oz. it clearly shows a person hanging from a prop tree. In the remastered DVD version they replaced it with the bird. (which u can clearly see). Now in the Cartoon Network version they re edited it again, putting in a large shrub.

April 6, 2012 at 8:51 am
(23) Dottie says:

I have the ORIGINAL 1980′s VHS release and the supposed “hanging munchkin” after the tin man scene is in FACT a bird! You people are absolutely insane!!! As far as the scene that bobby is talking about, I’ve never paid attention too but I definitely will take another look into it. My mother told me for years about the “hanging munchin” and I’ve done so much research and been in so many different blogs, I’m pretty much sure it IS a myth.

May 14, 2012 at 11:31 am
(24) Jason says:

Okay if they were children or not most cases of suicide are in children you idiots i’m doing a report and this isn’t a myth im sure your not all to blind to see that they covered where the rope is hanging him by the waist so its true you all are half retarded

June 11, 2012 at 6:37 am
(25) lauren says:

It is on there you can clearly see on vhs. It not on the dvd movie. Google the death of the time the movie was made you will get you answer.

June 21, 2012 at 3:50 pm
(26) Deborah says:

The hanging is in the scene where the witch is on top of the roof with the ball of fire. And when the camera spans out to the forest, if you look towards the far back left (lower tree branch area) you clearly see someone come down on a rope.

June 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm
(27) TheSaint says:

This is crazy and hilarious haha. I have seen the movie maybe a dozen times, if not more, and remember that scene with the hanging. I have seen both versions – one where there is clearly a crane or flamingo of some type, kinda like bowing its head or something – and also the other version with the “hanging”. I put quotes because I simply do not know, fact or fiction.

Now, what Bobby says is REALLY intriguing me. This part is never talked about, if not rarely. I have never taken a look at this scene and also it must be SO much harder to spot. LO! I own an original VHS version.. TIME TO HUNT IN THE ATTIC AND COME BACK WITH RESULTS

July 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm
(28) Brittany says:

Yeah, when you see the clip that they exchanged the old one with, its a bird. I believe they were covering it up. In the original, there is a body swaying back and forth from a rope in the background.

July 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm
(29) Kevin says:

Actually the Edited him out & Added the Bird but thats what i think

July 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm
(30) Finn says:

People it was a sand bag that you saw i know i am an actor after all

August 25, 2012 at 12:50 am
(31) Sara says:

You can all thank me for finding out the TRUTH!

I win:o)

September 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm
(32) MBSB says:

I have seen the original vhs from the 80′s and I’ve seen the real hanging munchkin. You see him throw the rope go up the tree and then he’s hanging swinging back and forth in the background as Dorothy sings and dances up the yellow brick road. I want to find the original tape but I have a feeling my parents threw it out with all the other vhs tapes from our playroom. The novie replaced the munchkin with a bird so unless you have the original vhs you won’t see it.

September 11, 2012 at 8:07 pm
(33) Easton says:

Alright based on what i’ve seen the hanging munchkin. In the remastered vhs in like the 80s they replaced the munchkin with a bird. I am still searching but have yet to find when the witch is on the roof. Im tellin ya its real

September 23, 2012 at 11:15 am
(34) ruben says:

i saw the tape and i do really do believe that that is a hanging person i dont know if its a person or a munchkin but something is hanging there and if its a crane WHERE ARE ITS LEGS AND ITS WINGS

September 26, 2012 at 8:53 am
(35) ytytt says:

i believe…. i beleve

November 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm
(36) shpuggles says:

Ok guys so one it cant be a bird and then they edited a person in… the year the hanging one came out was before the newly edited new one. There is also another scene when dorothy is in munchkin land and you look in the top left corner you can see legs swinging… anyway does anyone have a link to see the original 1980s full tin man/ hanging scene because apparantly you can see him get the rope ready and see him fall and i think that would be great proof for all non-believers :)

December 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm
(37) nicole says:

CLEAR PROOF RIGHT HERE

December 22, 2012 at 8:25 pm
(38) Reesee says:
December 22, 2012 at 10:20 pm
(39) hi says:

the object in the background was a crane or a type of bird, you could obviously see it flap it’s wings. I also saw black and white feathers.

December 23, 2012 at 10:33 am
(40) Angel says:

Don’t you think when they were cleaning up the set they would notice him and couldn’t we ask one of the actors that are still alive like one of the monkeys or munchkins at least tell us so we won’t be freaking out trying to figure it out for the rest of everyone’s lives

December 26, 2012 at 8:59 pm
(41) Jenn says:

My husband says its not in the scene (Tin man scene) everyones talking about. Its when Dorothy first gets to munchkin land. Somewhere in the top right corner of that scene. Has anyone else heard this?

January 2, 2013 at 10:32 am
(42) Nicole says:

Jen I just saw it on youtube. It does look like a munchkin is hanging by its feet. Its under Wizard of Oz suicide. But heres the thing look around at the other munchkin dressed the same and how their hands are and you will notice that its not hanging its just a blurred image.

January 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm
(43) ashlee says:

On the VHS it looks like a midget hanging himself, but in the new DVD of The Wizard Of Oz, it’s a bird. If it was really nothing, why would they put a decoy in the movie?

January 7, 2013 at 1:30 pm
(44) scott says:

The bird is fake it was pute there in the remake find the origanel film its there I promise you will see it!

February 2, 2013 at 9:37 pm
(45) karl says:

No! It’s real! It’s real! This is what the holly-weird (ebrejis) producers want you to believe! A munchkin (dwarf) did hang himself! It’s all a cover up! Let it be known that a man killed himself on the set of the wizard of oz! Nothing to do with ruinging a wonderful story! This really, really happened! They put the bird in after the munchkin hung himself! It’s a total cover up!

February 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm
(46) bwade says:

Look to the left theres a man holding the rope for the hanging and moves his legs. Murder. Not suicide. Notice the scarecrow look at him. The director was a violent man.

February 23, 2013 at 10:34 am
(47) Ow says:

Where is the whole body scene? Tell me tell me please

February 26, 2013 at 12:33 am
(48) Wesley. . says:

For all the hardcore believers:
This should be easy for you to prove. Produce a death certificate. All you need is a death certificate. One for a dwarf that died during filming, who’s name would have been known. .
If that really happened, WHY isn’t there a record of cast members or especially a dwarf talking about it?
Use your brains people.

February 26, 2013 at 10:32 am
(49) Flipmode says:

I’m hoping most of you are joking, and not as “special” as you sound… It is a bird. It was always a bird.

It a blurry bird on the VHS because the quality is crud, it’s clearly a bird in the DVD because the quality if better. Simple.

If anyone had killed themselves on set then that would have been edited out of the film long before it was released, and I doubt a drink and drug fueled Judy Garland would have resisted telling that story in her later years.

Judy Garland liked to tell tall tales and yet she never mentioned this one, because it never happened.

You can see it’s a bird in the DVD because the picture is clear

March 27, 2013 at 3:27 am
(50) al says:

The VHS version was an edited version that someone create when they heard the myth. I saw an interview with one of the munchkins from the movie and he denied it and then they debunked the edited version showing the wings of the bird beyond the hanging image. It shows that there was a bird and the tips of the wing that the phony version did not edit out. Check on Youtube under “debunked wizard of oz hanging”

March 30, 2013 at 7:33 pm
(51) Danielle says:

Maybe it’s the wicked witch of the south..

March 30, 2013 at 10:46 pm
(52) Caitlin says:

I’ve looked at several pictures, and it doesn’t look like a body to me. It looks like nothing to me. Maybe someone can give a link to a better picture?

April 14, 2013 at 5:27 pm
(53) openem says:

The 1989 release has the scene but I think it is a fake body cause if any midget committed suicide on set they would have noticed. I think that that stuck a hanging body in the back just to give it a creepy atmosphere maybe it the man who own the shack and the which killed him. Look for the 1989 VHS.

April 19, 2013 at 1:04 am
(54) TrollMan says:

watch the original clip and youll see it obviously a person hanging. they eventually took the munchkin out and added in a bird. watch both clips side to side and theres a huge difference.

April 24, 2013 at 3:12 am
(55) frankie says:

Its the witch you can see her hat and cape becouse before that seen she flys away instead of putting her down they finished the shot

May 6, 2013 at 5:30 pm
(56) michael says:

do you actually think that not one of the cast or crew would have seen him hanging and called cut they wouldn’t of kept the cameras rolling.it seem like its been digital enhanced to me GGI has be used in movies since 1973′s westworld and this is from the 1980s vhs

May 21, 2013 at 12:16 pm
(57) Prof. Duane R Richardson Ed. D says:

Well, I happen to be an expert on all things OZ and happen to have seen several times the original theatrical print on large screen and suffice to say, it IS a bird!

May 22, 2013 at 8:13 pm
(58) Megan says:

All the “real footage” I have seen clearly shows a bird, but the bird stands out in a very blurry and unfocused background. Also, I don’t understand how this myth could have been generated by the bird in this scene that shows little movement compared to the “hanging” which clearly shows a body, whether munchkin or stagehand, swaying with their feet off the ground. Now I am undecided if it it a bird or a person, for their are equal claims that disprove both the hanging and the bird.

May 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm
(59) Elz+viv says:

I own the 1989 VCR version of the film. I just watched it and I can confirm that in that version all that can be seen is a bird. I watched the YouTube videos which do clearly show a hanging body, but it is not the same in the 1989 VCR version. I wonder where the clips which show an obviously hung body came from?

June 9, 2013 at 11:28 pm
(60) Amber Cothran says:
June 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm
(61) gzo says:

They changed the original footage! after 1989

June 26, 2013 at 11:30 am
(62) Codie says:

If you really want to see it you need the old tape!!

July 30, 2013 at 4:43 am
(63) Keith says:

Exactly how far into the movie is the alleged hanging if it is not the exotic bird in the background?

July 31, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(64) kiwisoup says:

OMG. IT’S FAKE.

1. If you look at all those YouTube videos claiming to be the original VHS tape you will see that they are all dated AFTER March 4th, 2011. Why? Because that is the date that user “SuicidalMunchkin” uploaded his “version” of the clip where he removed the bird and put the swinging body in. It’s a hoax and it’s fake. But that of course didn’t stop countless other YouTube users from coyping and reuploading the video, but they all came from this one fake person.

2. When people asked “SuicidalMunchkin” for more proof, he showed a video with the physical VHS tape. The only problem is that the case was a generic cheap black case unlike the white case that the movie came in. Not only that but the brand “Scotch” can be seen on the tape, proving that it is a video recorded onto a blank VHS tape, you can even see the tab that only comes on blank tapes that you break off to make it no longer recordable.

3. In the fake edit by “SuicidalMunchkin” the swinging body is much further back than the original bird was. In fact if you know anything about the movie you will know that they made extensive use of large matt painings for the backdrops. This scene was shot inside a studio and you can see that there is a wall BEFORE the hanging munchkin. How an you have somebody hanging inside a painting unless you edited him into it? Again, it’s fake.

4. The munchkin scene was show well after this scene so the munchkin actors were not around or in costume for this.

5. There were lots of accidents and almost fatal injuries during the making of this movie and nobody tried to hide any of them, especially this long after the fact. You really think none of the actors, cast, studio, family or friends of the actor would have said anything. There are so many interviews and documentaries and nobody even mentions this. Why? Because it’s a myth.

July 31, 2013 at 7:40 pm
(65) kiwisoup says:

6. Why did this myth start in the first place? Because back when VHS tapes were commonplace it was very hard to see small things in the background and some people notices some movement in the background that looked like swinging in the trees. Obviously the first thing that comes into anybody’s head is “somebody hung themselves”. Now that we have better quality versions of the movie, everything comes into focus and we can see that it’s just a bird.

7. They didn’t copy and paste a bird over the body. The birds are visible at several points during the scene before the alleged hanging.

8. In a rerelease trailer dating back to the 1940s, this scene is shown and it has the bird. Many people who believe this hoax say that the hanging was edited out in the 80s yet this clip that came out 40 years before has the same bird. Also, note that this trailer predates and home video release of the movie by a couple decades as well.

9. In another inconsistancy with the “SuicidalMuchkin” video, there are parts of the removed bird that are still visible as shown by several users, when the bird extends it’s winds, both tips of the wings are clearly visible because the user missed them when doing the digital editing.

10. Many people claim that they themselves saw the swinging munchkin and not the bird, but none of these people currently have the original VHS tape or TV broadcast to reference. It’s called the power of suggestion and you don’t remember the bird because it had been so long, the quality was so low, and you wanted to see something else. It happens.

11. Finally, a user tracks down an original VHS release of the tape, one that predates the supposed tape of user “SuicidalMunchkin” by a year and opens the unopened VHS tape for all to see and without any cuts forwards to the part of the movie where it again shows a bird.

It’s a myth, a legend, a hoax, and like most of them, it’s fake. Sadly one lone person has given this myth legs to go on for more years to come

July 31, 2013 at 7:42 pm
(66) kiwisoup says:

One More…

12. There are so many origin stories. It’s a munchkin who is heartbroken, a munchkin who was treated badly by the fimmakers, the director’s daughter who didn’t get the part of Dorothy…so many origin stories why? Because someone made them all up.

August 8, 2013 at 11:52 pm
(67) Lara says:

My mom bought a vhs copy of wizard of oz in the 90′s when I was a kid and in the scene with either the tin man or lion when they start singing were off to see the wizard you actually can see something climb up what looks like a ladder of sorts and than when they sing the last line of the song and start dancing away then you can see something drop and hang. It’s very small so you really have to look for it or else you will miss it, but that is what it looked like to me.

My theory is that it is too wide to be a person, I feel it must be a set piece that fell or something. But it kinda does look like someone or something climbs a ladder, so who knows. I highly doubt if someone died they would leave it in, since that would just be tacky. I have never heard anything from any munchkin about it being bad on the set, so I guess we will never know exactly what happened.

August 24, 2013 at 9:48 pm
(68) Jenn says:

I can’t believe this conversation started in 2010 and we’re still arguing it. Kiwisoup is right, it’s just a story.

August 29, 2013 at 2:47 am
(69) kevin says:

i personally know this story to be true because my cousins boyfriend worked as a security guard at the hospital that richard geres hamster was at and personally heard firsthand from the hamster that the midget hung himself

September 11, 2013 at 10:26 am
(70) Sheronda says:

I believe it’s real… I mean if it wasn’t anything wrong with it why try to fix it .. That’s like tryna fix sumthin that’s not broken .. Clearly in the 80s version it is sumthin moving back and forth and it’s not touching the ground… && in the 90s version it’s a bird … && that is on the ground .. A MUNCHKIN HUNG HIMSELF BECAUSE HE DIDN’T GET THE PART … End of story

September 15, 2013 at 10:36 am
(71) sal says:

Story from my G=paw, he worked on the set and it is true. Per they were all under contract and could not speak of this or any other thing that would happens on movie set….He said they were told that they would loose their job and be sued.

An original film for editing, still in the family shows it very clear.
eslese

September 16, 2013 at 11:28 pm
(72) Mags says:

it’s a movie from the past! It was for OUR entertainment don’t over analyze it! You people are terrible spellers and your grammar is bad maybe your eyesight is too! Enjoy the movies don’t over evaluate them!

September 19, 2013 at 2:45 pm
(73) Sami says:

First have to say that it was clearly NOT a bird in the original release footage…In the digitally remastered version yes you can clearly make out the difference….i dont think it is a suicidal munchkin either….some random prop that fell…maybe….a cord from where the witch was coming from …possibly…..the only positive thing that anyone can say is that none of us were present in the studio while this film was being made …we never saw any of the rumored reasonings behind what we see in one cut and the next….unless someone was there in person and saw it with their own eyes or have access to documented proof (ex. Police reports…death certificate etc) no video is not documented proof as it can be altered and manipulated and in this case unclearly decifered…then no one can PROVE either way… all you or I or anyone can do is speculate.

September 19, 2013 at 2:47 pm
(74) Sami says:

And for any grammatical errors in my comment, I blame them on a very touchy on screen keyboard and eyes working faster than my fingers so back off grammar nazis

September 23, 2013 at 2:08 pm
(75) foo says:

@Danielle (51): The Wicked Witches are in the East and West, the Good Witches in the North and South.* Glinda is the Good Witch of the South.

I wish more people would read the first book rather than *just* watch the movie, but even more so I wish they would read the sequels because they are good and refresh the franchise from the Hollywoodish cliches it has become mired in.

Edit: A quick Wikipedia check informs me there used to be a Wicked Witch of the North, long before “The Wizard of Oz” takes place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Witch_of_the_North

October 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm
(76) shelby says:

I dnt know y but I always look for it like I believe but am not sure

October 2, 2013 at 11:37 pm
(77) psandruz says:

Okay, I have rolled my eyes for years over this legend of the hanging munchkins. Today my step son came home from school talking about it, as it became a discussion during class. I got online to show him that this was just another urban legend. We began looking at YouTube & read the analysis on snopes.com and I’ve got him convinced that it’s not real. But then I began reading through all these posts just for entertainment, when a comment hit a nerve. The person said they recorded the movie off TV in the early 80′s and it shows a munchkins first falling down and then going back up the ladder and proceed with hanging themself. I also happen to have a VHS recording that I made off a TV broadcast of the movie in the early 80′s. My daughter, now 30, watched it many times. A few years later we purchased an actual copy of the movie, & that tape migrated to the back of the cabinet where it remained, forgotten. Until tonight. We watched the YouTube snippets, and I agree, I could not see anything but a bird. Then I popped in the VHS tape, I actually still own a working VCR, I fast forwarded to that scene, and almost fell over myself rewinding & watching it again. Sure enough, my VHS version version looks completely different in that scene!! You really can see a small figure stumble & fall & then go up a ladder, & then a figure swings from a rope while the ladder falls over!! JUST as this occurs, the scarecrow slightly stumbles. We compared the YouTube video frame by frame & my tape from the TV broadcast is very different. It certainly appears to be a small figure swing from a rope. It is clearly different in other videos, including those claiming the body is just hanging there. I am now convinced there is more to the story. And my VHS tape will now reside in a safe!!

October 19, 2013 at 5:23 am
(78) Beckybee says:

What creeps me out is that when they first step onto the road from the grass, Judy looks back, and then 2 seconds later, looks over her shoulder again. What was she looking at both times?
In the DVD remake with the bird, it doesn’t seem significant, but if you want the VHS version with the ‘object’ dangling in the background, it makes her looking back twice even more creepy.

October 22, 2013 at 9:53 pm
(79) Hakeim says:
November 3, 2013 at 3:14 pm
(80) Erin says:

Why can’t I find the original scene on youtube? I swear I saw it on there once before…the one where you see someone climbing up the ladder and swinging off. This HAS to be a cover-up!

November 4, 2013 at 12:40 am
(81) Kttytig says:

Did anyone stop to think it might have been a dummy hanging and it was just a sick little twist that was put in, but with all the hooha they decided to edit it out.

Just a thought

November 8, 2013 at 10:15 am
(82) Britt says:

R U ME? R U ME? R U ME? R U ME? R U ME?

November 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm
(83) Jason says:

OMG you can see the lil munchkin swaying by the neck!

November 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm
(84) Buggsy says:

If that were the case, why didn’t the actors who played Dorothy, the Tin Man and the Scarecrow see him? I mean, they marched right by the figure. No one on the whole set noticed during filming? The camera man didn’t notice? Highly unlikely…

December 4, 2013 at 8:26 pm
(85) mark says:

the crane shot is the cover up shot, the hanging munchkin is the original shot. that is the reason why everyone sees the crane and think the suicide is a myth because that’s the only shot they see. there is no way you can mistaken a cranes wings flapping off to the side, and a hanging body. two entirely different scene shots.

December 22, 2013 at 2:07 pm
(86) kathy compton says:

I was told that it was a man who auditioned for the tin man part and was alergic to the led that was in the paint or make up..since this was during the denpression landing an acting job was food on the table. He was so depressed he swore he would be in the scene. Thus this happenu ng in the scene they
find the tin man

December 22, 2013 at 5:55 pm
(87) Danni says:

Kathy Compton, the man who played Jeb Clampton off the Beverly hillbillies was the one who was allergic to the paint for the tinman. Seeing as he survived and made that TV show many years later proves you wrong

December 23, 2013 at 3:23 pm
(88) james says:

sand-bag prop, not a bird

December 23, 2013 at 8:46 pm
(89) Megan says:

Where is the close up?

January 4, 2014 at 9:43 pm
(90) april says:

Heres your absolute proof………. see for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny6Qz2aZdDA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

January 4, 2014 at 9:45 pm
(91) april says:
January 4, 2014 at 9:52 pm
(92) april says:

Seriously…. a ostrich looking crane? Lol oh yeah cuz tons of birds were in the wizard of oz. Lol kinda out of place there huh.

January 5, 2014 at 8:40 pm
(93) K80theshade says:

Huh. Well, as someone who literally grew up watching this movie: there is definitely no crane on that part of the set in one of the pre-anniversary editions my dad has on tape. I know it is a good-quality recording. I’m not saying it is dvd quality, but did you know tapes are potentially WAY better-looking than dvds?
Not that it really matters, though; in that older version, it is plainly obvious that something goes up a ladder, slips a bit, then goes slightly higher. Then it drops quickly and hangs a bit.
I would like to point out that not the version referenced here, nor any other I have seen on YouTube, is the actual old video. These have been clearly roto-scoped with a basic blackout element. It is plain how the form in the supposedly genuine ones moves nothing like the original, and has plainly been doctored.

March 15, 2014 at 11:54 pm
(94) Nini says:

It’s probably true and Hollywood was paying the actors to keep quiet about all of it. Maybe it wasnt a purpose sucide maybe it was the sets fault and there covering it up

March 18, 2014 at 9:17 pm
(95) Kaycee says:

A munchkin did hang himself during the filming of the Wizard of oz, he was a close friends cousin. He was really depressed, he was treated poorly most of his life. My friend told me about him 25 plus years ago.

It is true, it happened. It was a tragedy.

The family was devastated. Hopefully all the controversy regarding this hasn’t been communicated to them yet.

March 19, 2014 at 8:57 pm