1. News & Issues

David Emery

Facebook 'Stalker' Apps Are Scams

By February 5, 2011

Beware the following messages and/or wall postings from Facebook friends:

Example #1:
I've just seen who checks me out the most here on Facebook! You can see who stalks you too!
Example #2:
I just saw who STALKS me here on Facebook. You can see who creeps around your profile too!
Example #3:
I just saw who CREEPS around my pics the most here on Facebook. You can see who stalks you too!

These are all variants of the same scam. If you click on the link, you're taken to a page that requests your permission to access private information. If you allow it to do so, the message immediately reposts itself on all your friends' walls and you're prompted to fill out a phony questionnaire.

What it won't do is show you your Facebook "stalkers" or reveal the names of people who've visited your Facebook page or viewed your photos. The whole thing is a ruse to trick more people to installing the useless app and clicking through to survey pages.

If you were unlucky enough to fall for it, Symantec's Security Response Blog recommends going to your Facebook Privacy Settings and removing the rogue application from your profile.

Read more about it:
Fast-Flux Facebook Application Scams
Scam Alert: I've Just Seen Who CREEPS Around My Pics

Comments

February 27, 2011 at 9:18 am
(1) ciara says:

so is it all just a scam for money? :/

February 27, 2011 at 9:29 am
(2) kris says:

PRETTY INTERESTING.. ive actually looked at a past friends profile because of the bashing she does on there and cannot say it personally, so i read the ridiculous remarks one day and when going to her wall the words “are you stalking me” show up!! WTH!! she loves attention, but i am curious if this is something that is real, such as seeing who actually looks at ones profile when your not a ‘friend’ of them anymore?(de-friended her)how is this possible for her to know ive looked at her wall, or is this’STALKER” MESSAGE SOMETHING YOU CAN ACTUALLY PUT UP SO ANY INDIVIDUAL YOU PICK AND MAKES SURE THEY SEE IT? My wall and her her is still visible but rest is private, but no longer fb friends so how does she know im even viewing,,curious? or is she just letting me think she knows if peeping but dosn’t actually really know.. help!!

February 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm
(3) mohammad says:

good thing i read this, i was about to fill one out, thanks ;)

February 28, 2011 at 6:23 pm
(4) gabe says:

so is there a real and reliable way to check for stalkers on your fb profile?

September 2, 2011 at 9:27 am
(5) Geek says:

No there is NOT!

March 9, 2011 at 4:00 am
(6) Renee Givens says:

I’ve been getting texts from a man name Harry Williams. Born February 22,1970 in Dunbar Scotland. He says he’s widowed with a three year old boy.He now lives in Manchester England. He says he owns a business called Williams an Associates. Something about drilling parts. He is supposed to be in Asian right now for work. His son name is Eric. I have a picture of them on my Facebook. He hasn’t asked for money just tells me he loves me. I need a place I can look to check him out that’s for free I don’t have money to pay. Just want to know if it’s a scam. Can you help me don’t know where else to look. Thank you Renee

March 15, 2011 at 8:38 pm
(7) Mar says:

Why are you even asking if this is a scam? If you don’t know him, and he’s saying he loves you he’s obviously a weirdo. A scam is the least of your worries. If you are communicating with him maybe you’ll end up on next week’s news as the latest missing woman!

April 9, 2011 at 12:45 pm
(8) R says:

I’m a cop and I can tell you with 100% certainity that this is a scam. TRUST ME RENEE!! This person will befriend you then slowly begin asking for money. Same exact scam here in the Pac NW. Stay away..Stay far, far away.

April 6, 2011 at 12:16 pm
(9) Lily says:

Yea seriously, I agree with Mar, that guy could be some sicko. And if not, he’s atleast using you… probably to talk into marrying him so then he can live in America

May 5, 2011 at 8:09 am
(10) L says:

Who knows check into it, it may not be a scam even if people say it is you never know but dont risk anything make sure before you meet him good luck xx

May 12, 2011 at 12:25 am
(11) Kady says:

My friend just posted on my wall. saying:

“OMG! Its unbeliveable now you can get to know who views your facebook profile.. i can see my top profile visitors and i am so shocked that my EX is still creeping my profile every hour” with a link. I didn’t click the link, of course. I knew it was a scam.

Then later my friend who is mutal friends with the person that first posted the “link”, got sucked into it as well, then of course they posted on my wall about that. I hope this doesn’t keep spreading on through my friends. D:

June 20, 2011 at 2:49 pm
(12) Madison Hatley says:

That FACEBOOK crap is for stalkers, my friend Amber Brown she stalks people on fb and its really stupid and inmature. So if u got a fb your just nothing but a stalker. that is the reason why i dont have one.

July 10, 2011 at 11:47 am
(13) shipdog7 says:

Quite some time ago I was bored and played along with a young lady who said she was attending a university in Chicago and wanted to meet me. Nice picture of her. I know it was a fake photo. She said she would be out of the country for awhile , but could we meet one day ? I wrote back “I suppose you would like me to send you money for plane tickets, so that we can get together when you get back here?” She answered “that would be very nice of you”. “Thank you very much”. You are so sweet. I spammed further emails from this party.

July 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm
(14) diegocr says:

Hi folks,

Recently a Firefox add-on has been released which is designed to protect you against those scams while you’re Facebook.

So… you Firefox users are luckily ;-)

More info at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/facebook-phishing-protector/

Cheers!

August 3, 2011 at 2:28 am
(15) Ilse says:

Just me caught out by this:
the name “Sam Aquinas” by a Nigerian befriending woman on facebook saying he is a UK resident living in the states now, and that he has just started fb as he was recuperating from his wife’s tragic death. AND YES, I FELL FOR IT! The info was very elaborate – right down to his 2 alsations named “Pinky” and “Brain”……………. Turned out to be some guy who has a page on fb – under the name “Antiviruz Kingsley”.

I am normaly not naive, but this guy was GOOD, now I know better! (His english bothered me a bit – trust your gut!)

September 4, 2011 at 1:56 am
(16) Lyn says:

I seem to have been caught out by this Sam Aquinas guy and his 2 alsations. What a sneaky creep to think the world has sick people like that

August 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm
(17) Jerry says:

Hey you should meet him right away and live happily ever after.

February 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm
(18) Facebook User says:

How gullible can people be? Of course, if someone contacts you out of the blue and says they love you, you’ve won the lottery, they’re your long-lost cousin on your Aunt Matilda’s side, or any of the other thousands of scams out there, DO NOT BELIEVE IT. Why would you even have to ask if it is a scam? Those people in Nigeria are so generous with their money, I receive probably at least 6 e-mails a day saying that I have won their lottery (funny, I didn’t buy a ticket for a lotter in Nigeria), some rich man died and they picked my name out of millions of people, and it just goes on and on. If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS! These creeps would rather try and scam you out of your hard-earned money than go out and get a real, honest job. People need to just stop and use their brains that God gave them and think before they send their life savings to someone in Nigeria who e-mailed you out of the blue and says you’ve won 13,7 million dollars……

February 23, 2012 at 7:43 pm
(19) I says:

Wow,i got an app tht tells me who stlaks me nd it came out my brother!I HTE him but he doesnt even know tht.But i never saw tht link tht they gave. WIERD…….

May 26, 2012 at 12:54 am
(20) ... says:

what’s the app called? I cant find it -.- i want 2 delete it but i dont know what it is…