1. News & Issues

David Emery

Facebook Scam: 'Spider Under the Skin' Video

By July 18, 2011

(UPDATED) Be advised, a "clickjacking" scam purporting to link to a video showing a spider growing under somebody's skin is currently replicating on Facebook. There's no such video. Clicking on the link is a bad idea.

If you do click on it, you're presented with an age verification message containing a "Play" button, but if you click on "Play" all it does is cause the same message to be shared with every one of your Facebook friends before shunting you off to a survey page. The same thing will happen to your friends if they click on the link from your page. And so on.

Examples of the come-on:

Amazing how a spider can go under your skin This spider is brutal..
stillfb.in
WTF - There is a spider inside the skin of this girl, extremely painful !
O-M-G - Spider Grows Under Skin - Crazy!
troutl.info
Totally Crazy and just a little gross. But still Amazing!
Amazing! Spider is Growing Under Woman Skin
scaryspideomg.tumblr.com
WARNING: Sh0ck1ng Footage!
Una Araña debajo de la piel. A spider under your skin!
www.youtube.com
Él dice que era una araña bajo la piel, ¿qué dices?.He says there was a spider under the skin what do you say?

The reason security experts have labeled it a scam is that the folks behind it are making a commission on every survey completed by Facebook users. Sweet, eh?

If the message appears on your wall, DON'T click on the link. DELETE the message so others won't.

Read more about it:
A Spider Under the Skin? It's a Facebook Survey Scam
OMG! A Spider Under the Skin! - Facebook Scam

Comments

July 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm
(1) chris says:

It never ceases to amaze me what people will do (illegally?) to make a buck. I bet lots of people will fall for this though

July 20, 2011 at 8:31 pm
(2) chris says:

Are there any laws that prevent this kind of thing? If not, we really need to get going on it. I won’t hold my breath on it though.

July 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm
(3) dumb says:

laws dont prevent anything. stop being dumb.

July 23, 2011 at 12:02 am
(4) Bauss says:

Yes. You’re absolutely right. Of all of the country’s current issues, predicaments, debts, and WARS. This is the pressing issue. Let us all call our representatives in D.C. and get this to the top of the list. The possibilities of a facebook scam must not be permitted to continue. Now that I think about it we should take this all the way to the U.N.

July 23, 2011 at 10:34 am
(5) Captain Obvious says:

It’s up to Facebook to start enforcing its terms of service to stop these apps and surveys from being used on their site. They have the ability but they don’t care.

July 23, 2011 at 2:02 pm
(6) FATALPOSITION says:

laws will not protect against this sort of thing, intelligence will.

more laws are not the answer to everything.

July 21, 2011 at 9:20 am
(7) Berry says:

Spiders are not the only topic used for this. There are bunches of videos out there with the same idea of scam behind it. It amazes me time and time again that even my friends fall for it. But there’s hope: after noticing them, some don’t click on these links anymore!

July 21, 2011 at 5:32 pm
(8) NeitAngel says:

Yeah I’ve seen a ton of these to. When I see one I always put spam or hoax under it.

July 22, 2011 at 11:39 am
(9) GA_Yankee says:

Now when you reply or comment, it does the same thing as clicking on it. These scam artists only get more sophisticated.

July 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm
(10) diegocr says:

Hi folks,

Recently a Firefox add-on has been released which is designed to protect you against those scams while you’re Facebook.

So… you Firefox users are luckily ;-)

More info at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/facebook-phishing-protector/

Cheers!

July 21, 2011 at 4:57 pm
(11) Lili says:

Thankfully my anti-virus blocked it since it deteched malicious activity on the link

July 22, 2011 at 4:16 pm
(12) diegocr says:

The problem is anti-virus cannot protect you from all those scripts being executed if they haven’t already spreaded enough to be flagged as malicious :-/

July 22, 2011 at 11:56 pm
(13) Syberchick says:

This reposted on my facebook page and I didn’t have to click anything except the link. They’re getting trickier.

July 23, 2011 at 12:56 am
(14) Megan says:

Hey…. I know that it’s a scam but the pic on this article is of a real video…. I watched it on youtube instead. And it’s not a girl, it’s a guys arm. Just look up spider under skin on youtube if you want to see it.

July 23, 2011 at 1:47 am
(15) Leigh says:

What happens if you do click it?

July 23, 2011 at 1:50 am
(16) Leigh says:

What I meant was does anything happen to your account if you click the link? I have a friend who clicked it and need to let her know about it

July 23, 2011 at 2:44 am
(17) BHC says:

Best bet of getting this stopped is to share this link on Facebook and ask everyone you can to repost it.

July 23, 2011 at 12:00 pm
(18) Shannon says:

I unfortunately clicked on a friends post and it did take me to a “play” screen which I got out of without clicking on it, but it still posted onto my wall which I deleted right away. The thing is, what is the extent of this? Do I now have a virus? My firefox history was wiped out and had to sign in to yahoo & google.

July 23, 2011 at 4:28 pm
(19) Auntie M says:

I clicked on it, didn’t fill out the survey, and returned to my news feed to find that it had posted a rude comment under the pic as though it was from me.

August 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm
(20) Kodanshi says:

I clicked on it without knowing. I then closed down the survey page. When I went to my profile, there was a link to the ‘vide’ automatically posted on there, but I deleted it. Will anything else bad happen now?! Or is that the end of it?

November 10, 2011 at 1:35 am
(21) Woodrow says:

Just because you delete the video doesn’t mean it’s over. It will show up on the list of pages you like, and there’s no way to remove it unless you ask Facebook. I had to file a complaint with Facebook and they removed it after about a week.

September 22, 2012 at 6:59 pm
(22) Medford says:

My spouse and I stumbled over here by a dіfferent webѕitе and thοught I mіght сheсκ thіngs out.
I likе what I ѕeе sο nоw і’m following you. Look forward to exploring your web page for a second time.

October 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm
(23) When You Have a Panic Attack says:

You really make it appear really easy with your
presentation but I to find this matter to be actually one
thing which I believe I might by no means understand.
It sort of feels too complicated and extremely extensive for me.

I am having a look ahead for your next post, I will try to get
the hang of it!

November 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm
(24) Chuck says:

Somehow this stupid little scam has set itself up as an event which keeps occurring every day. I can cancel the event but then it schedules again the next day and sends invites to all my friends. My virus scan doesn’t find it. Any ideas?

November 21, 2012 at 4:28 am
(25) High class escorts says:

Fantastic bеаt ! I ωould liκе to
apprentice at the same time as you amend your site, how could i subsсribe foг a weblοg site?
Τhe accοunt aided me a acceptаble deal.
I weгe a little bit familiaг of this youг broаԁсast
proѵiԁeԁ vіvid trаnspaгent conceρt