1. News & Issues

David Emery

FACEBOOK SCAM: Free Costco Gift Card

By December 8, 2011

(UPDATED) Today's too-good-to-be-true Facebook scam is a $100 or $1,000 gift card from Costco:

Free $100/$1,000 Costco gift card offer is a Facebook scam

Word to the wise: NO SUCH OFFER EXISTS!

Here's another version:

Free $100 Costco gift card offer

If a posting like the above appears in your newsfeed, don't click on it. Doing so will cause the same blurb to appear in your profile, and replicate in all your friends' newsfeeds, and you will NOT get a free Costco gift card for your trouble.

Learn to recognize a Facebook scam:
How to Spot a Facebook Survey Scam

See examples of similar scams:
Starbucks Gift Card Scam
Tim Hortons Gift Card Scam
'Spider Growing Under Skin' Video Scam

Keep up with Urban Legends:
Urban Legends on Facebook
Follow Urban Legends on Twitter

Comments

December 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm
(1) Chet Atkins says:

Costco should make this real!! It’s Christmas!!!!!

December 26, 2011 at 12:48 pm
(2) josée says:

j’ai déjà cliqué sur l’attrappe Costco…niaiseuse que je suis…que dois-je faire…

December 27, 2011 at 1:29 pm
(3) Stephanie says:

Who benefits from this?

December 31, 2011 at 4:26 am
(4) Darlene says:

should have know if it sounds to good it usually is!

December 31, 2011 at 7:44 am
(5) Noel says:

Free advertIsement for Costco. Inside tip … They also created and started this scam.

December 31, 2011 at 1:51 pm
(6) JJ says:

This should not be allowed on Facebook! BS!

February 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm
(7) Fran says:

I got stuck in this scam..It directs you to Mineral Simplicity and offers a free trial of makeup for 1.00 and after you put in your card info it then tells you shipping charges and you are enrolled in a beauty club which if receiving the trial , if you do not cancel club you will continue to receive makeup for a price every month (not sure). Try sending it back and you are charged for shipping and must get a special no. to ship it with all kinds of info (2 pages, and who reads it all.) If you dont send it back in 14 days you will be charged l27.32. I am outraged and plan to call my credit card co and also costco. I asked what costco has to do with this and got some kind of a they are not involved. I was not smart. I usually can pick out scams . I am embarrased that I did this.

March 15, 2012 at 4:45 pm
(8) Rhonda says:

Costco has nothing to do with this card offer!!! :/

November 28, 2012 at 2:35 am
(9) tarah lindop says:

i gave cosco my credit card number to get a gift card. Im a single mom and now u ripped me off before christmas thanksig

September 6, 2013 at 11:14 pm
(10) DANIEL BRECEDA says:

SOMEONE JUST TOLD ME ON FB CANDY CRUSH ABOUT A COSCO GIFT CARD 500$ IS IT REAL?