1. News & Issues

David Emery

Did Rick Santorum Declare War on Heavy Metal? Nope.

By February 11, 2012

'If you listen to the radio today, many of these brand new, so-called heavy metal music bands like Black Sabbath, Venom, The WASP and Iron Maiden use satanic imagery to corrupt the minds of young people,' announced Santorum at a 10,000 dollar a plate sock-hop in Valdosta, Georgia on Thursday.An article claiming that presidential candidate Rick Santorum gave a speech in which he condemned heavy metal music as "Satanic" and the "single most dangerous force in America today" has sparked an outbreak of viral indignation on Facebook and Twitter, despite the fact that there's no public record of such a speech, and the article, credited to blogger Keith Spillet, is transparently satirical.

"If you listen to the radio today, many of these brand new, so-called heavy metal music bands like Black Sabbath, Venom, The WASP and Iron Maiden use satanic imagery to corrupt the minds of young people," Santorum supposedly told attendees at a fundraiser in Valdosta, Georgia last week. According to Spillet's account, the conservative Republican went on to call for the "internment" and "forced re-education of metalheads," who would be required to listen to "values based" music promoting the American way of life and the free market, and "sing the chorus to at least one Celine Dion song."

Some Facebook responders clearly get the joke, but at least as many seem to be buying the spoof hook, line, and sinker. "Oh and this is the same guy that 'will declare war on Iran if elected.' What a big bag of f***," railed one poster this morning. "I've lost all hope in America," lamented another. Still another wrote, "Metalheads, time to vote Democrat!"

This isn't the first time (nor will it be the last) that gullible folks have taken fictitious political quotations as gospel, of course. I've had more than one visitor to this site tell me they think it's perfectly plausible that candidate Barack Obama advocated replacing the National Anthem with the "less bellicose" song "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" on TV four years ago. He said no such thing, of course.

Come to think of it, it's probably not gullibility, per se, that makes so many of us suckers for this sort of thing. Maybe it's our habit of thinking of folks with political beliefs different from our own as cartoon characters instead of crediting them with a rational point of view.

Guilty as charged? Me, too. We can all do better. (Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to read more carefully, too.)

Updates:
This, believe it or not, is true: Megadeth Singer Endorses Rick Santorum
Or perhaps not: Megadeth Frontman Didn't "Endorse" Santorum

Read more:
Rick Santorum Declares War on Heavy Metal
Obama Explains Why He Doesn't Salute the Flag

Comments

February 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm
(1) Robin says:

We aren’t so much so easily swayed, but if you have been listening to his other rhetoric this sudden “attack” isn’t so far fetched in many peoples minds. He is a despicable person and a hatemonger, but I for one am glad for this bit of satire even if I took a nibble.

February 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm
(2) Sid Ramone says:

Did a search. It is a spoof from a low budget onion.com wannabe site, DEADLINELIVE, that has been reposed widely.

The first sentence or two had me going. But when the got to the part about those “new” groups like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, all the members of which are now on Social Security, I caught on. The part about devil worshiping head bangers being the cause of Obama care, that about clenched it.

I think they are hoping to do a Palin on him, where they come up with an off the wall non-quote like, oh lets say, “I can see Moscow from my back yard” and hope to make it stick. But they lack writing ability and delivery of SNL, or even the talent it would take to clean the toilets at onion.

The Youtube videos this has inspired are even less inspired then the story.

It does show how the left is doing what they can, even in amateurish ways, to have the easily beatable Romney get the nomination to go against Obama.

February 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm
(3) Tom says:

The problem is Santorum (google) is beyond satire

February 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm
(4) Bfreesun says:

I think you’ll find SNL quoted Palin verbatim.

February 11, 2012 at 5:32 pm
(5) JGreg says:

@Bfreesun
LOL…I think not. Check out Snopes –

February 12, 2012 at 12:37 am
(6) Cole says:

Did anyone notice the band names? “Black Sabbath, Venom, W.A.S.P. and Iron Maiden” are all bands from the 70s & 80s!! How the heck are they “brand new!?” This guy needs to listen to radio a little more often. And who cares what the music is about? If rappers can sing about killing, sex, drug use, etc. then why can’t metal have questionable lyrics and themes? Kind of a double standard huh? Disclaimer: I listen to both rap and metal, so don’t flame me for being a “hater.”

February 12, 2012 at 2:15 am
(7) Dr_n-Do says:

I kind of realized it was a spoof when it said GWAR played at Mitt Romney’s inauguration.

February 12, 2012 at 10:00 pm
(8) Klee says:

Maybe people believe it because Rick is a damn whack job

February 13, 2012 at 9:04 am
(9) lazyeight says:

Two words: Pat Boone

February 14, 2012 at 9:02 pm
(10) Jonathan says:

I believed it when I saw the headline… it’s not something I would put past Santorum… the “metal internment camp” bit tipped me off though, especially the part about singing at least one chorus from a Celion Dion song… that was way over-the-top.

February 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm
(11) Anne Marie says:

Sarah might not have said the part about seeing Russia from her house, however, the original piece that Tina Fey did on SNL was basically word for word of a speech/statement that Palin had said. Look it up.

As for the left worrying about Santorum beating Obama, try super hard to not be ridiculous…

February 15, 2012 at 11:13 pm
(12) Cycotek says:

Really, he talks about the other canidates being removed from the people they look over. Seriously he is 20+ years removed from whats going on, wow.

February 16, 2012 at 10:12 am
(13) OHio says:

Really, You guys still bashing over If Palin really said that? Please, get your heads out of your asp’s and go find work. Rick S is a decent man, a familyman He recently took time off from running, to bei with his family.. You don’t see Obama dong that. Nor will you find his wife being on the same plane with him.. What First Lady has ever traveled with the Pres and went on a different flight? Only Mrs Obama so far.. Tina Fey said that line and IF you take the time to do any research, you will find the FULL video of what Palin said NOTwhat SNL wrote.. Too many of you Hate any thing Republican or Tea Party, YEt if youwere to attend a rally you will see and hear on your own, – not what some brain dead media person is reporting- that many of these tea party people are upset at the way the Gov’t is NOT Hearing them.. Just take a look at the 2010 election and how many Congressmen got booted out of office, They failed to heed what the people back home were saying..

As for this so called statement. Really. Will Rodgers said it best. When Congress Makes a law, It’s a Joke and when they make a joke, it becomes a law.. Same here.. Lighten up..

February 16, 2012 at 11:34 am
(14) Ben Cook says:

did he say NEW bands?

February 16, 2012 at 5:07 pm
(15) Mikey says:

I am a metal fan/musician so I saw this posted a lot on facebook. I even saw Mr. Spillet trolling a metal page with his own account with it. Being from Massachusetts I knew it was fake as soon as saw the part about the band GWAR playing at Mitt Romney’s inauguration for governor. I thought it was funny that when I was trying tell people it was fake a number of folks told me that the “hoped it was true”.

February 16, 2012 at 6:54 pm
(16) Carter Hall says:

I truly believe in Senator Rick Santorum and his ability to easily debate the H out of Obama. Rick is a FINE FAMILY MAN and one with undeniable ethics… RARE IN DC!!
I hope everyone will get BEHIND Senator Santorum, and GET OFF HIS BACK.
Senator Santorum will make an EXCELLENT PRESIDENT who will put the needs of the “middle class” and ALL “classes” ahead of any possible distraction, like “date nights” and approx. 20+ golf days instead of doing the job Obama was elected to do! AND, think of ALL THE VACATIONS AND THE LENGTH OF THEM THAT OBAMA TOOK.. ALL ON OUR NICKEL!!!!!!

February 18, 2012 at 7:37 am
(17) sunlight_and_shadows says:

Thing is, I stumbled across this article via Yahoo.com (at least, I think I did?), the news section for which is at least meant to be PARTIALLY credible.
If that’s the case, then that just shows the danger of news and entertainment mixing. Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE satire. I love satire when I know it’s satire I’m getting into. Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, these are obvious. When the site that actually MEANT to do honest news, on the other hand, falls for it, THEN you have to worry.
Also, regarding people like Santorum and the way he conducts himself, then, perhaps, this ISN’T that far-fetched.

March 2, 2012 at 7:04 pm
(18) Carla says:

Reading all this, satire or not, brings two words to my mind; TIPPER GORE. She DID declare war on heavy metal on the early 80s, and I could say those words printed there are hers, word by word. Ask Dee Snider of Twisted Sister, ask any metalhead who is old enough to have been around those times, starting on 1984. I know I was, and it was a whole movement started by her in Congress and the PMRC. Go, google it up. Look up the PMRC entry on Wikipedia if you don’t believe me.

We never forget. Where do you think those “Parental Advisory” stickers come from on the CDs you buy? Oh wait, nobody buys CDs anymore… :)

April 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm
(19) Archer says:

I’m pretty sure that the reason they were swayed is because this guy is the same guy that used the hobbit quote.

July 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm
(20) Clinton says:

Rich Santorum does not know anything about heavy metal music because he lives in his lame conservative bubble and isolate himself from the world. Alot of heavy metal music is very biblical and talks about what is going on with this world and our society.Some heavy metal music is very political about our government

September 1, 2012 at 2:10 am
(21) Dan says:

*”not gullibility, per se, that makes”
I know grammar corrections are annoying, but I could not read this without correcting you, unless of course somehow I am wrong (which is entirely possible), however, I got a good ole laugh out of this.

September 1, 2012 at 10:04 am