1. News & Issues

David Emery

Enough with the 'Money Bags' Nonsense!

By March 19, 2013

Money Bags

Claim: "This year March has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays. This happens once every 823 years. This is called money bags. So, share this to your friends and money will arrive within 4 days. Based on Chinese 'Feng Shui.' The one who does not share..... will be without money."

Status: False.

This phenomenon is not called "money bags." It's not unusual at all, let alone something that happens only "once every 823 years," for a given month to have 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays, and 5 Sundays. It's true of any 31-day month that begins on a Friday, in fact. The last time it happened was July 2011. The next time it will happen is August 2014. On average it occurs once a year. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with Feng Shui.

More examples of the 'money bags' hoax:
5 Sundays, 5 Mondays, 5 Tuesdays in Aug. 2010
5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays, 5 Sundays in Oct. 2010
5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays, 5 Sundays in July 2011
5 Saturdays, 5 Sundays, 5 Mondays in Oct. 2011

Comments

March 19, 2013 at 8:40 pm
(1) WalterK says:

And in 2019, March will have the 5 weekend sets again.

March 20, 2013 at 8:22 am
(2) Aksesoris Wanita says:

but not accept in my country :(

March 21, 2013 at 8:52 am
(3) Jon Richfield says:

Aksesoris Wanita says: “but not accept in my country”.
Not that I would pry, but which country is that, and why?
As for the March thing, and the Feng shui, how long have the Chinese recognised the 7-day week or 31-day month as a calendar feature? Pull the other leg; I have no time for Feng shui, but I know it is older than that!
Every 31-day month has three successive weekdays that occur five times; the other four occur four times each (look at your on-screen clock-calendar to see why; you don’t even need higher maths to see why). Which three they are change by one day for three years out of four (next year March has five Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays, then Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays). Leap-years cause 2-day shifts, but on average the days repeat every seven years. And this is for every 31-day month. Now, when you have it in a thirty-day month, *that* is when to get excited… not to mention how rich we could get in February when there are three five-day repetitions. Watch your calendars folks… And your pockets!

March 21, 2013 at 9:56 am
(4) Don Knowles says:

Actually, I would count any month with 5 Mondays as a piece of bad luck! But yeah, I’ve had to learn to live with it :-)

March 21, 2013 at 2:11 pm
(5) ShariYS says:

@Jon: there’s no time to ever get excited about it. It’s a HOAX.

April 23, 2013 at 12:48 am
(6) Robz says:

Jon Richfield says: Not that I would pry, but which country is that, and why?

Google it, there’s lots to learn :)

July 26, 2013 at 10:36 am
(7) KarenLeePA says:

Robz says: Not all countries work on the Gregorian calendar, an example of this being India, who recognise the Hindu calendar. Surely you’ve heard of Chinese New Year? Jewish holidays vary every year because they too have their own calendar.

Agreed. But it’s still July 26th in India right now. The world is on a Gregorian calendar. I’m sure it’s so we can do business together.

With that said, there are holidays that fall on different days with in that calendar based on ancient calendars that are followed but not used to indicate what the ‘date’ is. Many are based more on the sun and moon. Which makes some sense when you think about the Chinese calendar and a month that may have had more of particular days than any other month. Think about ‘once in a blue moon’ where a full moon happens twice in a month.

I would be interested if someone could clarify the ‘money bags’ month based on the Chinese Calendar. I’m sure it will have little, if any, correlation to the Gregorian calendar and 5 Sat-Sun-Mons.

Looking forward to more info from folks!

August 8, 2013 at 1:51 am
(8) when girls look at you says:

I like what you guys are usually up too. This kind of clever
work and exposure! Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve you guys to my personal blogroll.

December 5, 2013 at 11:38 am
(9) Karim.My says:

how this related to money bags?

January 13, 2014 at 11:16 am
(10) Chrys says:

Ok its more like 823 years minus 812 this time around. Anyone come up with a chain letter spam filter?

January 19, 2014 at 11:46 am
(11) Luckie-Feng Shui Expert says:

I am sick of the “Money Bags e-mail coming up every so often…..it is bogus to the bone.
It has NOTHING to do with Feng Shui in any way.
STOP the insanity with this “Money Bags”
I am a Feng Shui expert and there are many cures for money troubles, but this is not one of them.