1. News & Issues

David Emery

Report that Lou Reed's Death Is a Hoax Is a Hoax

By October 27, 2013

Despite what you're apt to read on the Internet, news of Lou Reed's death is NOT a hoax.
Lou Reed is dead at the age of 71.

Rolling Stone, Variety, Associated Press, the BBC, and other reliable sources have reported it. We have no good reason to suppose these reports are inaccurate.

This being the Internet, naturally, other less reliable sources are causing confusion (see example above) by falsely asserting that the news of Reed's death is a hoax. The primary culprit appears to be Mediamass.net, which refers to itself as a "satire" website and caused similar confusion a few months back by dismissing news of James Gandolfini's death as a hoax. It wasn't.

To sum up:

1. Rock and roll legend Lou Reed really is dead.
2. Rolling Stone and the BBC are reliable sources.
3. Mediamass is the opposite of a reliable source.
4. The Internet sucks sometimes.

Read more:
Lou Reed, Velvet Underground Leader and Rock Pioneer, Dead at 71
Music legend Lou Reed Dies at 71

Comments

October 27, 2013 at 2:58 pm
(1) M.Borgarbúi says:

It’s more likely that he’s not anymore with us. RIP.

October 27, 2013 at 4:08 pm
(2) Paul says:

“To sum up:

1. Rock and roll legend Lou Reed really is dead.
2. Rolling Stone and the BBC are reliable sources.
3. Mediamass.net is the opposite of a reliable source.
4. The Internet sucks sometimes

Thanks UL for a little bit of what the net sorely lacks, brevity and succinctness. Well put and gave me a smile after hearing this bad news.

October 27, 2013 at 11:54 pm
(3) Cenor Abravanel says:

As an astounding american poet would say…. “hoax is a hoax is a hoax is a hoax…”

October 28, 2013 at 5:52 am
(4) Francoleon Dollarhyde says:

I never been a HUGE fan of Lou Reed, but still this comes as a shock.
I wish it was a joke, and he is indeed still alive.
I do get this feeling, I am wrong about that feeling.
Lou Reed will be missed, one of the last original musicians in our time.
RIP, Lou Reed.

Sincerely
Francoleon

October 28, 2013 at 11:39 pm
(5) Reese's peace says:

THIS IS JUST ANOTHER TEASON WHY I LOATHE SATIRE WEBSITES!

October 30, 2013 at 12:23 am
(6) MadTom says:

Lou Reed loved his share of practical jokes.
We all hoped his Obit was a hoax.
But drugs and booze caught up with him,
The chance it’s a hoax is rather slim, so
Hey, Lou. Rest in Peace on the Wild Side.
I said Hey, boy. Rest in Peace on the Wild Side,
And the Colored– er– African-American girls sing:
“Doooot dooot du doooot, dooot du doot doot doot doot doooot!…” [4 "o"s=1/4 note, 2 "o"s= 1/8 "u"=1/16 etc]