Description: Viral image
Circulating since: Feb. 2013
Status: Presumably authentic (see details below)
As posted on Facebook, Feb. 4, 2013:
WARNING TO ALL PARENTS: my friend Jennifer gave her son a caprisun Saturday and he told her it tasted funny. She took a sip and said it tasted like straight alcohol. Cut it open and it was nothing but mold inside. Evidently, this happens a lot. They say the lack of preservatives leaves them susceptible to fermentation. I will never let Delo drink another. FYI: this pouch expires April 2013 and we don't own a delorian to go "back to the future" so it wasn't expired. :) God bless, have a great day!
Analysis: After the image and caption above began circulating via Facebook on Feb. 4, 2013, Capri Sun (owned by Kraft Foods, Inc.) responded as follows on its official Facebook page:
We’ve noticed that there has been loads of discussion on Facebook around a photo of a Capri Sun pouch containing mold. The safety of our products and well-being of our consumers are our top priorities, and we appreciate your openness and the concerns that have been expressed here on our page. We feel it is important that you have the most accurate and up-to-date information from us.
While we have not had the opportunity to examine the affected product, the substance appears to be mold. When we have had the chance to have an independent lab analyze a sample in the past, it was confirmed to be similar to common bread mold. Among the many, many millions of pouches we sell each year, it does happen from time to time because the product is preservative free. A statement is included on all cartons telling consumers to discard any leaking or damaged packages. If mold does occur, we completely agree that it can be unsightly and gross, but it is not harmful and is more of a quality issue rather than a safety issue. (See full statement)
In brief, the company's position is that because the product contains no preservatives, mold contamination can occur "from time to time," especially in damaged packages. It's a common type of food mold that is not harmful if ingested. This was confirmed by experts at the Poison Control Center of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, who told KYW-TV News last February that while food mold may be unappetizing, "it’s usually not medically dangerous."
More info is available on the Kraft Foods, Inc. FAQs page.
Previously reported incidents include the following:
- In June 2010, a Florida family found a slimy, "foul-smelling" object in a pouch of Capri Sun 100% Juice Apple Splash. Kraft Foods sent the object to a laboratory for testing and concluded it was mold. Read more...
- In May 2011, a man in Tyler, Texas found what looked like a worm in a Capri Sun fruit drink he purchased at Walmart. A spokesperson for Kraft Foods, Inc. said the object was most likely mold. Read more...
- In December 2012, a 12-year-old boy in Yakima, Washington found what he took to be a "worm" in a pouch of Capri Sun. Kraft Foods said it was probably mold. Read more...
- In February 2012 a mother in Havertown, Pennsylvania found a glob studded with black particles in her daughter's Capri Sun fruit punch. Read more...
• AIDS/HIV+ Blood in Pepsi?
• Chicken Head Found in Box of McDonald's Wings
• Dead Frog Found in Canned Peas
• Maggots in Oreo Cookies?
• Pus-Filled Tumor in McChicken Sandwich
Sources and further reading:
Capri Sun Statement on Mold Photo
Capri Sun Facebook page, 5 February 2013
Capri Sun FAQs
Yakima Family: There Was a Worm in Our Son's Capri Sun
KIMA-TV News, 21 December 2012
Capri Sun Mold Warning from Local Mom
KYW-TV News, 9 February 2012
North Carolina Boy Says He Found Worm in His Capri Sun Drink
NY Daily News, 21 January 2012
East Texan Finds Slimy Surprise in Drink
KLTV News, 20 May 2011
Capri Sun Mold Case Shows Internet at Most Viral
Los Angeles Times, 21 June 2010
Family Finds Large 'Fleshy Mold' in Capri Sun
ConsumerBell, 10 June 2010
Last updated 02/27/13