PLEASE TAKE caution. Pass this along to your friends and family.
Something terrible happened to a 10-year-old girl who had braids. The little girl had been wearing her braids in a ponytail for the longest time, and apparently the braids were old, at least 2 to 3 months old, and the mother never took them down to wash them or let them air out or anything.
Anyway, the girl had been complaining to her mother about having a headache for about two weeks, but her mother just brushed it off, assuming that she had hit her head against the wall or something. Well, one morning the child again complained to her mother about having a headache while getting ready for school. Again, the mother brushed her off. When the child got to school, she told her teacher that her head was hurting. The teacher assumed that the braids were too tight in the child's hair and attempted to let the ponytail down. When she removed the hair piece and let the braids loose, there was a spider in the child's hair.
The spider had laid eggs in the child's hair and the spiders were eating her scalp. She was rushed to the hospital, where she later died.
This happened in Monroe, La. It was all over the news and in the papers for about a week or so. Please, parents, don't leave braids or any kind of hair extensions in children's (or your own) hair no more than 2-3 weeks!
(As circulated via email)